The Older I Get The More New Stuff I Want To Hear

I always want to hear new stuff. That's really the main point for me.

Listening to new music, searching the records down, getting them and ... ooh that first listen off the vinyl.

Always loved tapes and CD swapping too.

Two things just promoted me to post this:

1) I heard the great Dean Anderson say on the radio tonight that he has always been driven by hearing new sounds and moving forward with new discoveries.

2) I have been playing a few things for potential sale tonight and have played some flip-sides I have never played - and been knocked out, or really enjoyed them at the least.

I don't know where rare soul would be without that thirst to hear more and discover more - if you were a teenager, or any age really, then new music presents itself day-by-day, year-by-year - but for us the recording were finite (so thankfully there were so many quality things recorded).

If there was not all that discovery and digging still to do then I guess I would have lost interest by now - but I'm as keen as ever and probably more so.

One thing that happened a few years ago was that I consciously let go of some 'rules' or 'boundaries' I had set myself about what to listen to that was 'good'. This meant I opened my ears and started listening to '70s stuff, R&B, funk, deep soul etc.

I really feel that was an enlightening decision and has made my love of soul music - including 'proper Northern' grow even stronger.

Not even sure where I'm going with this one ...

Keep on keeping on maybe ...  :yes:

Cheers

Richard

P.S. Here is probably the first record that made me listen up to 70s. I realise now what a mug I was before  :lol:

:thumbsup: Great post Richard, same here, love my records, but want CD,s from other peoples collections to hear new stuff, thing is, in this day and age we can go out and search for new stuff to listen to, either physically or by media rather than hanging on to what a DJ says and plays.

Kev

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Totally the same, sorting out stuff to sell, played b-side of Melvin Boyd - Exit Loneliness,( Things are getting better) knocked me out.

Heard The Young Folk - Lonely Girl on a cd,loved it, realised i sold mine 6 months before for £8,just bought another one for £16. ????

The enlightining bit is so true as well! 

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Heard The Young Folk - Lonely Girl on a cd,loved it, realised i sold mine 6 months before for £8,just bought another one for £16. ????

One of my all time favourite records :yes:

They must (rightly) have had faith in the record because they re-released it as Miss Madeline only two catalogue numbers later on US Mar-V-Lus.

Cheers

Richard

YOUNG FOLK - LONELY GIRL (US MAR-V-LUS & UK PRESIDENT)

https://youtu.be/s4bO1CcOAQg

Edited by Premium Stuff
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I always want to hear new stuff. That's really the main point for me.

Listening to new music, searching the records down, getting them and ... ooh that first listen off the vinyl.

Always loved tapes and CD swapping too.

Two things just promoted me to post this:

1) I heard the great Dean Anderson say on the radio tonight that he has always been driven by hearing new sounds and moving forward with new discoveries.

2) I have been playing a few things for potential sale tonight and have played some flip-sides I have never played - and been knocked out, or really enjoyed them at the least.

I don't know where rare soul would be without that thirst to hear more and discover more - if you were a teenager, or any age really, then new music presents itself day-by-day, year-by-year - but for us the recording were finite (so thankfully there were so many quality things recorded).

If there was not all that discovery and digging still to do then I guess I would have lost interest by now - but I'm as keen as ever and probably more so.

One thing that happened a few years ago was that I consciously let go of some 'rules' or 'boundaries' I had set myself about what to listen to that was 'good'. This meant I opened my ears and started listening to '70s stuff, R&B, funk, deep soul etc.

I really feel that was an enlightening decision and has made my love of soul music - including 'proper Northern' grow even stronger.

Not even sure where I'm going with this one ...

Keep on keeping on maybe ...  :yes:

Cheers

Richard

P.S. Here is probably the first record that made me listen up to 70s. I realise now what a mug I was before  :lol:

This has been in one of my boxes for years . good track, also had the  "Young Folk" for years . another good track. Nobody will ever know all the great tracks that are out there, even with the help of the interweb. I only do oldies nites at the moment, but i've got a lot of tracks that don't get played out at these nites that should be played out, when i first got into the scene i would be hearing new stuff every time i was out, but it doesn't seem to work that way anymore. (but maybe that's a different thread).

Social source share

Good post Richard. Without new sounds to refresh the interest, enjoyment of the music stalls, then stagnates. At the cutting edge, it's about discovering new tracks by simply stumbling across something that has eluded you. Trips to the USA, YouTube samples, CD's etc all throw up new sounds, but the best way forward is to attend an event where innovative DJ's expose the fruits of their labours. Always best to look forwards to that next 'best sound' that you just have to have, until the next 'best sound' comes along...

One of the problems at the moment (though this also happened years ago) is that a lot of the good new stuff being found is cheap, and nobody wants to play it out as it's not a rarity. (My opinion only), but maybe others will agree.

Social source share

Same here Richard. Wasn't it Oscar Wilde who said that a man who tires of hearing new music is a man who tires of life? Or am I getting that bit confused in my old age? :thumbsup:

Wilde definitely said

A poor DJ, sorry cynic is a  man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.

The value of a record cannot simply be determined by it's rarity alone, value must take into account the quality of the finished product, regardless of the price tag.

I love to hear stuff that's new to my ears, it's great to hear records that I'll never be able to own because of either rarity or price but it's just as rewarding hearing and hunting down less expensive items that I've only recently come across.

I've got quite a few items on long time wants lists that never seem to get bought, not because I can't find or afford them, but because I'm always finding something that's new to me that I'd rather spend my money on.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Bearsy

When people ask me what my favourite tune is my reply is often, hopefully the one I've not heard yet....

I've been to nights/nighters where rarest of the rare has been played and I've been blown away by the quality through night and I've been to nights/nighters where it's been more about the underplayed and forgotten and been blown away by the quality through the night.

Sitting in doors listening on the PC or in my case the iPad just ain't the same as hearing them tunes out loud at a venue and thankfully I still have so many venues that cater for my tastes and lots of venues I've yet to attend that I know will blow me away with the quality of stuff I do and I don't yet know.

Social source share

Richard, Sandra Richardson-Stay here with me ; what a great tune,but with Jack Ashford producing it , it had quality written all over it.

I think your bang on with your ideas about new stuff, my lad Dj's on the scene in the north west and where Always on the lookout for new records.

I get Cd's Sent me from friends from different parts of the country from anniversary venue dates,and I've been impressed; how many great tunes might get played in that area and not the north west. So we always seem to find new stuff for us to find and play out.

I always look on the threads with play list or recommendations, seems to do the trick. Keep it fresh .Rod Clegg

Social source share

One of the problems at the moment (though this also happened years ago) is that a lot of the good new stuff being found is cheap, and nobody wants to play it out as it's not a rarity. (My opinion only), but maybe others will agree.

True but fortunate - he that buyeth a record not listed in the book shall be welcomed to the kingdom of rare tunes picked up for a pittance. Not only can you enjoy these sounds but sit comfortably secure in the knowledge that someday they will be appreciated more, and if they appreciate, so much the better. VIZ Top Tip - if the record is not in the price guide, offer the seller a low sum as it could be extremely rare, valuable, unheard of and the next cult sound...
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

True but fortunate - he that buyeth a record not listed in the book shall be welcomed to the kingdom of rare tunes picked up for a pittance. Not only can you enjoy these sounds but sit comfortably secure in the knowledge that someday they will be appreciated more, and if they appreciate, so much the better. VIZ Top Tip - if the record is not in the price guide, offer the seller a low sum as it could be extremely rare, valuable, unheard of and the next cult sound...

Nothing that i've got (except maybe 1 or 2) are really hard to come by, but i,ve never heard them played out. But as i'm only djing at "oldies nites" and don't get out as often as i used too, doesn't mean that others are not hearing them. But try finding a promoter who will give a "little known" oldies DJ a chance on the decks at a "modern, Newies or Cross-over nite".

Social source share

Young Folk and Miss Madeline, what a terrific track. Pressed in quantity as perceived demand would be higher than it actually was. Easily one of the best tracks on the label and way better than the Blenders or Joseph Moore IMO, confirming rarity does not always equate with brilliance.

Spot on bro - I got mine in a Soul Bowl soul pack  :D

Cheers

Richard

Social source share

Young Folk and Miss Madeline, what a terrific track. Pressed in quantity as perceived demand would be higher than it actually was. Easily one of the best tracks on the label and way better than the Blenders or Joseph Moore IMO, confirming rarity does not always equate with brilliance.

The Ultimations- Would i do it over, is another one, was always a cheapie, don't know about now.

Spot on bro - I got mine in a Soul Bowl soul pack  :D

Cheers

Richard

One of the best things i ever did! Thank-you John Anderson!

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Same here Richard. Wasn't it Oscar Wilde who said that a man who tires of hearing new music is a man who tires of life? Or am I getting that bit confused in my old age? :thumbsup:

no that was  brahms  & liste.

On a serious note...we all want to hear new (good ) stuff.......it,s just with a lot of folk...that,s all it,s about,if you get what l mean.......once heard it then becomes irrelevant.....whats gone before is somehow redundant?,boring ect ect......because soul wise  what they're producing nowadays   is mostly lacklustre to me

Edited by gordon russell
Social source share

Hi all,

I totally agree with what was said above. The more I grow the more I like different styles of music

and also new genres I haven't heard since then.I try not to be influenced by the kind of tunes

I'm listening to but mainly distinguish between what's quality and what it's not.

I've also recently discovered new genres which was the best thing it could have ever happen to me

since it open up a new whole worlds.

Social source share

Hi all,

I totally agree with what was said above. The more I grow the more I like different styles of music

and also new genres I haven't heard since then.I try not to be influenced by the kind of tunes

I'm listening to but mainly distinguish between what's quality and what it's not.

I've also recently discovered new genres which was the best thing it could have ever happen to me

since it open up a new whole worlds.

Spot on. Me too. Picked up on Rocksteady a few years ago just before CD's dried up - there are dozens of top-drawer, mellow, harmony-soul tracks in this genre well worth checking out. Holidayed in Cancun in 1999 and ended up with 100+ techno-merengue CD's, the best tunes still sound great when given an occasional outing.
Social source share

Ultimations -Would I Do It Over.. Fabulous record. Comes in like a Four Tops recording then picks up and kicks in to soulful perfection. I bought mine about 22 years ago for £3/£4 and it's one of my records that blows me away more now than then. There is nothing more satisfying than when you open your ears to an unknown record. None of us know everything and all of us get put on to something new by friends/dj's. Mr Molloy never fails to play me something I've never heard before, including oldies from over 30 years ago which I simply missed out on.

My favourite time ever on the Soul Scene has to be the early/mid 9t's for picking up so many cheap, semi unknown gems which are now in demand sounds. There were so many great guys dj'ing every weekend with regular new finds and first time outs at venues attended with magic, open minded people wanting to the scene to progress.

Social source share

i cant say as i agree with you there....all 3 are great records rarity has nothing to do with it

• Helpful 1
Social source share

i cant say as i agree with you there....all 3 are great records rarity has nothing to do with it

Hi Dave. Simply saying that Young Folk/Miss Madeline is a greater record than the Blenders or Joseph Moore musically speaking; sure, both the latter are decent records and well worth having on musical grounds but their high price tags stem from extreme rarity. For me, Lonely Girl scores higher on the brilliance quotient, which for a cheap record makes a better buy, dollar per note.

ATB

Social source share

Thanks for all the comments folks.

Picking up on one of the points - CD swapping via the site seems to have dies a death - or is it just me?

Cheers

Richard

John just in throws of starting a new one Richard, we got word in the last couple of days.

drop John Reed a line, and see if theres still space  :thumbsup:

alan

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Read the above....

joined this forum to reach out to other collectors who want to swap CD-rs , building your collection of new sounds.

Put a post in the trades section but so far no response, which surprised me.

If you are into swapping....I've got a 100s of Cds (from taped tracks) and retail (Kent/Goldmine etc)......I'd love to hear from you

e-mail:

snakepit@inbox.com 

regards

snakepit

ps got 100s of the old tapes to give away......just ask P&P

Social source share

An alternate method....

1) you join a swapping group.....I will offer to co-ordinate e-mails contacts etc

2) you prepare 1 Cd-r per month.....make copies for other group members

3) send out your CD-rs on a given date.....

4) wait for postman to deliver you the other member's CD-rs

5) marvel at you new sounds......and look forward to next month

Social source share

I love finding new (to my ears anyway) tunes wether it be on here,out and about,YouTube etc. I can never understand how some people adopt the attitude of "I know what I like and I like what I know". It baffles me that you could get to a certain period/era/genre and say that's me done then I don't need to hear anymore songs thankyou. That's why I don't think I could ever say that is my favourite song because whatever it is I am sure something is going to come along and knock it off the top of the list. And that's the beauty of soul music it provides an almost endless source of material.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Garry Huxley

Gotta agree with most on this GREAT THREAD, For the last 7 or 8 years i have been rebuilding my latest of many previous collections which includes both tracks that have been bought with both pennies and several hundreds of pounds and across many genres of what is now called northern soul, soul, R & B etc.

All original vinyl, (to the best of my limited knowledge of 4o yrs collecting and selling) The miss Madeline track is a monster in my mind and have played it out a few times along with the flip and had favourable comments (My current copy i paid $2.??for it amongst many more unknown stuff for similar records).

My point is once that you get into the collecting / Dj'in frame of mind you don't want the tracks that others are playing out, just the ones that fellow collectors and Dj's come over and the words you hear are "WOW WHAT WAS THAT YOU JUST PLAYED".......   

My only advice to others is stay away from unknown as i want to check them out first !!!!!!!!!!  LoL

HAPPY HUNTING TO YOU ALL WITH AN OBSESSION LIKE ME

Here's one from the early 80's when i lived in aldershottpost-14175-0-81524200-1390068001.jpg

Social source share

Guest Garry Huxley

Almost sure was pete crampton that played it first but could be wrong never heard it since played out , This is what i mean Awsome record

Social source share

Guest Garry Huxley

I'm after all the great northern records that fell through the cracks...I actively encourage everyone else to keep finding those rnb,ballads,popcorn,reggae,Latin 45s and leave all the sixties uptempo stuff to me...carry on.

Wiggy Your a ledgend but so am i looking for the same records and hope to find them  before you,  but if not well done mate

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!