That Yvonne Fair Record

Godzilla

Just had a listen and my cursor left a brown skid mark across the screen when I turned the turd off. 

Throw away, low end, Super-fly funk, for the furry coat, wide brimmed pimp with the chicks called Candi & Treat. :hatsoff2:  

You like it then.?

Social source share

Just had a listen and my cursor left a brown skid mark across the screen when I turned the turd off. 

Throw away, low end, Super-fly funk, for the furry coat, wide brimmed pimp with the chicks called Candi & Treat. :hatsoff2:  

So you don't like it then, do you?

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

:sleep3:

you,re joking!!.........how about   tommy and the derbys.......what a pile of boring shit that is.....go on tell me you like it.......same old same old ......people who never go out never get the context....... :(

Social source share

You have to admire the persistence of this record' supporters which appears to be: it's a bit crap but it exists and you can dance to it so therefore it's worth playing.

What about all the better underplayed records. More to the point, what about quality control! :hypo:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

It's a dancer.

Far better record than a lot of the boring no bo**ocks bedroom type sh*t they play at some venues.

We moan about cheap records not getting played out.

I can think of better £5 examples but it's a half decent tune

Trouble is.....it,s like playlists......have no meaning to the armchair  "soulies"  who'd rather listen to that durge  that got posted up a while back......dance music needs context........because as you rightly say   when you go out and listen to this mid tempo/crossover soul THAT should be played at home......ya wanna scream!!!

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

You have to admire the persistence of this record' supporters which appears to be: it's a bit crap but it exists and you can dance to it so therefore it's worth playing.

What about all the better underplayed records. More to the point, what about quality control! :hypo:

better for what?......playing at home...........instead of being inflicted on folk out at a venue.........it,s a night out!!  ffsk

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

I totally admire the persistence of the haters of this tune which appears to be, I don't like it so no one buy it or dare play it out it has no quality and is only cheap but there are better cheap tunes out there so ignore this and move onto the next one

I'm going to play it next time I dj and will report back to let you all know how it went down and what type of crowd was or was not dancing to it...

Social source share

better for what?......playing at home...........instead of being inflicted on folk out at a venue.........it,s a night out!!  ffsk

Hey Gordon. Multiple exclamation marks plus a 'ffsk" suggest you're annoyed. I should just make it clear that my intention isn't to personally criticise people who like/play the record (although it probably looked that way in a couple of posts, in which case I apologise), nor am I having a pop at the delightful Ms Fair herself come to that.

What I am knocking is this at best mediocre 45 and the attitude that it's ok to play below par records on the basis that they are the right tempo and that people on a night out will dance to them. Last time we did it ended up with TV themes, frat rock and lord knows what. Dalton James and Sutton anybody? (cue someone saying "I really liked "Run Baby', actually...)

I understand that context is important but you could also consider that it's easy to slip a substandard record between two good ones and keep the dancefloor going. I don't accept the premise that the only people who dislike the tune are people who never go out. I'd challenge even more strongly the argument that the only alternative  to playing low quality records like this is to play "slow dirges' or crossover, which I can take or leave to be honest. To clarify then,  I truly believe that there are neglected yet affordable records that are not 'play at home sounds" but are uptempo 60s/70s, traditional Northern or more funky style dancers that are just plain better sounds.

I totally admire the persistence of the haters of this tune which appears to be, I don't like it so no one buy it or dare play it out it has no quality and is only cheap but there are better cheap tunes out there so ignore this and move onto the next one

I'm going to play it next time I dj and will report back to let you all know how it went down and what type of crowd was or was not dancing to it...

Bearsy,

Can't argue with the bit in red and I struggle to see how you think that's a poor reason for not playing it.

At the end of though day I'm not suggesting that anyone has the right to determine what does and doesn't get played. I started by expressing my surprise that this record would get played, made my case explaining why I think it's not worth playing and, I hope, tested some of the arguments in favour of playing it. On a discussion board :)

However, you'd better be DJing somewhere real soon so that you can submit your report. I reckon I may have to lock this topic in the near future because it will either have run its course and face the risk of dissolving into personal abuse or else some crazed "Walk Out The Door" fan will start writing to me in green ink or maybe stalking me with ransom note style letters cut from magazines...

Social source share

... Last time we did it ended up with TV themes, frat rock and lord knows what. Dalton James and Sutton anybody? (cue someone saying "I really liked "Run Baby', actually...)

.......fan will start writing to me in green ink or maybe stalking me with ransom note style letters cut from magazines...

Well I like Dalton, James and Sutton !!!!!!!!!!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Bearsy

Can't argue with the bit in red and I struggle to see how you think that's a poor reason for not playing it.

At the end of though day I'm not suggesting that anyone has the right to determine what does and doesn't get played. I started by expressing my surprise that this record would get played, made my case explaining why I think it's not worth playing and, I hope, tested some of the arguments in favour of playing it. On a discussion board :)

However, you'd better be DJing somewhere real soon so that you can submit your report. I reckon I may have to lock this topic in the near future because it will either have run its course and face the risk of dissolving into personal abuse or else some crazed "Walk Out The Door" fan will start writing to me in green ink or maybe stalking me with ransom note style letters cut from magazines...

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Bearsy

We all have our own taste and yes mine is awful at times lol. What is quality and what ain't ? Its in the ear of the beholder and if we all had to listen to what only 1 person liked the scene would be dead. In a soul room where let's say 100 soulies are in attendance I would bet my last penny that in a night of 6 hours of non stop northern that not everyone would say that every tune was to their liking.

I think this tune would attract the dancers and as everyone keeps saying its the dancers that create the atmosphere so on that note and the fact I think this tune is more than ok and definitely good enough to play out at the right venue at the right time.

I absolutely can't stomach Soul Inc - Pyramid and just don't get how that gets played out but it fills the floor and that ain't cheap is it. Its horses for courses and one mans favourite is another mans dislike but does that make them in general bad tunes ??

Btw I ran out of Green Ink lolol.

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Thats the problem bearsy.......these folk who know about quality   love sh*te like  pyramid and go  (very occasionally) where it,s played..........they have no concept of having the crac and having belting tunes played all night.....to them it,s about slick production ect.......not really enjoying themselves

They probably also dance to or sit in the corner scratching their chins to Bobby Bland - shoes, I don't get that one either lol

Personally I'm quite happy for the odd kak tune cos it makes me enjoy many many others even more and the chance of a fag break lol

End of the day I enjoy a lot of everything and can go to venues and enjoy everything from oldies to rare from crossover to underplayed but as long as the venue is playing what it's advertised then I'm willing to go have the criac have a dance and enjoy hopefully what the djs are offering with a bit of thought and passion oh and talk a load of bolox with like minded weirdos like Kev H :-)

Social source share

I don't accept the premise that the only people who dislike the tune are people who never go out. I'd challenge even more strongly the argument that the only alternative  to playing low quality records like this is to play "slow dirges' or crossover, which I can take or leave to be honest. To clarify then,  I truly believe that there are neglected yet affordable records that are not 'play at home sounds" but are uptempo 60s/70s, traditional Northern or more funky style dancers that are just plain better sounds.

Thats the problem bearsy.......these folk who know about quality   love sh*te like  pyramid and go  (very occasionally) where it,s played..........they have no concept of having the crac and having belting tunes played all night.....to them it,s about slick production ect.......not really enjoying themselves

Well it's clearly going round in circles and I don't think there's anything left to be said about this particular piece of plastic so I'm locking the topic. Thanks to all for your comments and contributing to a mostly civil debate.

About a terrible record :lol:

Social source share