Youngblood Smith - Who Was He ?

Sunnysoul

Is any information known on this artist ?

Was he a real person or was it a pseudonym ?

You Can Split was a Kama Sutra production (Sally Saying Something , What About The Music) and because the artist sounds like a blue eyed soul man, I always assumed that Youngblood Smith was in fact a pseudonym for Billy Harner.

Vocally, You Can Split is not too dissimilar at all from Harner's style.

Also the composer and producer of You Can Split was Harold Moffit who wrote Harner's "Sally Saying Something" and Moffitt appear to have been based in Philly where Harner was from.

The arranger of You Can Split was Leroy Lovett who was associated with Ben Lee productions (responsible for a number of classic northern soul records) which was also out of Philly.

However, the following exchange was posted by some members on Youtube in relation to You Can Split:

photo.jpg

Thanks for the reply. My name is Jimi Bellina and Richie was my uncle. My dad (also Jimmy) told me about this song but I thought he was pulling my leg. I guess not though. Uncle Richie died when I was pretty young so I only have a few memories of him. Now I have a song to remember him by. Pretty cool.
photo.jpg

this was recorded by a guy named Richie Bellina, From Manayunk in Phila, Pa. He died at the age of fourty five. I knew him well

photo.jpg Jimi Bellina 2 years ago

Does anyone have info about who the members of the band are (real names) Specifically the singer. Any extra info would be great. Thanks!

Anyone have any more thoughts on the identity of Youngblood Smith?

Edited by sunnysoul
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Under both his recording names, this guy worked with a NJ / Philly based doctor, Harry Moffitt. Moffitt was quite involved in the music biz and also cut tracks on the likes of Billy Harner, David Morris (Jr) and others. The Quick Brown Fox 45 on Roulette also escaped in France. 

........ AN OBIT on Harry Moffitt .........

HARRY J. MOFFITT --  M.D., 71, of Ship Bottom NJ, passed away on November 24, 2013.

Harry was born and raised in Philadelphia and graduated from St. Joseph's University and Temple University School of Medicine, completing his residency at Eastern Psychiatry. He practiced for many years in the Philadelphia area, more recently in NJ, but his true love was his family and music.

Harry was an avid music collector who wrote, produced and recorded music. He most recently was WVLT's radio host, JT Johnny. 
Dr. Moffitt was predeceased by his brothers, Richard and Craig. He is survived by his wife of 26 years, Arleen Moffitt; sons, Phil (Cathy), Jerry (Katie), Chris (Sue); 6 grandchildren; brother, Brian (Lynn); sisters; Lynn Procopio and Lisa Boyd (Steve).

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

Are there issue copies of YCS? Can't recall ever seeing one. I also seem to recall hearing something with the same backing track - or am I imagining it?

Do you know I don't think I've seen or heard of one either .

Social source share

Any info on the 'World Soul' Pressing that crops up sometimes ? ( Titled 'Walk on by', instead of, ' You can split ' ) it doesn't look like a UK pressing. Not often seen.

I had this I think ? was it a White label with Black text ? got it from Selecta in Nottingham when it used to be downstairs. Got it for nowt as well because when they played it it skipped and they were gonna bin it , played perfect when I got it home lol ! Bloody hell in't it funny what you can remember , can't remember what I had for tea last night though !! :lol:

Swifty :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

On a different topic about rarest boots I actually put this boot down as a rare one as you don't see about but was given short thrift by someone saying I had lost the plot!!

It is a rare boot.

You keep saying that!  It's not rare.  Maybe it's just round the West Midlands that they're common.

Social source share

I had the soulworld pressing(Walk On Baby).  When I ebayed all my records about 6 years ago, the purchaser asked if I had a scan of the original label so he could DJ with it!!!.

The week I first heard this at Wigan, Graham Warr had a demo on his list for 25p, if I remember correctly.  Funny, when I phoned up on Monday, it was out of stock.

Paul

Social source share

so was it a boot or a demo too aswell as the black and white?

There's a rubbishy demo bootleg, recent, there's the COMMON Soul World bootleg (about as rare as Mike Post Coalition, same label), I have a feeling there may have been one in the early 90's which is dark blue, same as the tough Howard Guyton bootleg on Verve, can't remember 100%.

Social source share

I had this I think ? was it a White label with Black text ? got it from Selecta in Nottingham when it used to be downstairs. Got it for nowt as well because when they played it it skipped and they were gonna bin it , played perfect when I got it home lol ! Bloody hell in't it funny what you can remember , can't remember what I had for tea last night though !! :lol:

Swifty :thumbsup:

Wine.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!