Biggest Collection Of Records

Guest WPaulVanDyk

Guest WPaulVanDyk

I wonder who has the biggest collection of Northern soul records, i am sure i had heard before certain DJ's with a big and large collection (Tony Deller one i think) anyone else know.

Social source share

• Replies 26
  • Views 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I wonder who has the biggest collection of Northern soul records, i am sure i had heard before certain DJ's with a big and large collection (Tony Deller one i think) anyone else know.

Undoubetdly the major dealers will be up there including Tim Brown who I understand is both a dealer and a collector.

Ian has 100,000 + records but they are mainly pop, so you can discount him if you are looking purely at northern soul.

Social source share

Yes, he has a warehouse full of them.

J T Trouble, great piece! I watched the whole video and couldn't stop laughing, it's almost like a spoof and the guy reminds me of Jim Carey.

He claims he's trying to get every record ever made in the whole world! :huh: !!!!!!!

Just one hiccup though, when the interviewer asked him how many groups/artists that begin with 'Q' he said there are only 4 in the world then went on to name Queen...and a couple of others i hadn't heard of.....funny he failed to name the 'Quotations', 'Quintessence', Quantrells, Quovons, the Q...

'Lost cause' springs to mind.

Social source share

This clip is from a documentary called Vinyl which apparently has just been released in the States on DVD.

I have seen it on TV in Canada a couple of times and there are some wierd fcukers in it, I watched it the 2nd time and I caught my wife looking worried that I might be going that way!! The guy who made is a bit strange as well

I will try and get release details

Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

If Tim Brown's collection is only 100,000 then I reckon he's way behind some American collectors, I remember Martin Koppell telling back in the 80's he had just bought a guy's personal collection of over 250,000 records the guy was in his 80's and decide it was time to get rid of 40+ years of collecting 45's, I would guess there are plenty more like him over there. blush.gif

Social source share

This clip is from a documentary called Vinyl which apparently has just been released in the States on DVD.

I have seen it on TV in Canada a couple of times and there are some wierd fcukers in it, I watched it the 2nd time and I caught my wife looking worried that I might be going that way!! The guy who made is a bit strange as well

I will try and get release details

Is that your release details blush.gifblush.gif

Steve

Social source share

Hiya, I've got a million...BUT only 3000 are good tunes IMHO.This a reply tongue in cheek

I do not want any more nasty PMs blush.gifblush.gif ATB Stevie z

Social source share

intersting topic,think volume wise[usa] loads of dealers,but quality is what its all about.That is a subjective thing as we know,but generally theres always been alot of armchair collectors out there.John powney from newcastle used to sit on over 50.000 rare ones as did Bob Slater from Boro,two dealers im sure many would of heard of.TimBrown ,sure but there is plenty of others out there!

Social source share

intersting topic,think volume wise[usa] loads of dealers,but quality is what its all about.That is a subjective thing as we know,but generally theres always been alot of armchair collectors out there.John powney from newcastle used to sit on over 50.000 rare ones as did Bob Slater from Boro,two dealers im sure many would of heard of.TimBrown ,sure but there is plenty of others out there!

Hi ,spent some time up at Johns..BUT never ripped him off.....paid a fair price for tunes.ATB SteveZ

Social source share

Bob Slater had a lot of records - nothing like 50,000 though - I helped him get them out of the loft the night before he sold them. He was however, more interested in quality rather than quantity, impeccable taste.

Mike

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

Well what a great video to show but just one problem. He can't try and own every record in the world technically that can't be possible and for any information regarding bands/artists that being with Q he forgot Suzi Quatro and if you add her and others that begin with Q i can name 55 but won't list them.

Social source share

Bob Slater had a lot of records - nothing like 50,000 though - I helped him get them out of the loft the night before he sold them. He was however, more interested in quality rather than quantity, impeccable taste.

Mike

Shame he appears to have written his name on both sides of every record he ever had wink.gif

Social source share

Shame he appears to have written his name on both sides of every record he ever had :yes:

True.

The simple reason was to identify them in the event of them been stolen! Bob DJ'ed a lot around the local clubs

It was a rough crowd in Middlesbrough in those days!!!

After he sold his collection - he sold them in two parts - his records appeared in dealers boxes all over the place - as an old friend it is always quite nostalgic to see them.

Richard Searling name checked him on his last Atlantic CD - re the Cajun Hart track. Bob bought two issue copies new - wrote his name on both - gave one to Searling and I saw the second when he offloaded his collection 97/98 ish - think the first batch inc rare pieces went to Anderson and Mick Smith.

OK - Hands up who has one of his 45's and what is it!

Mike

Social source share

True.

The simple reason was to identify them in the event of them been stolen! Bob DJ'ed a lot around the local clubs

After he sold his collection - he sold them in two parts - his records appeared in dealers boxes all over the place - as an old friend it is always quite nostalgic to see them.

Richard Searling name checked him on his last Atlantic CD - re the Cajun Hart track. Bob bought two issue copies new - wrote his name on both - gave one to Searling and I saw the second when he offloaded his collection 97/98 ish - think the first batch inc rare pieces went to Anderson and Mick Smith.

Mike

Got some lovely stuff of him in the mid eighties including a white demo of jesse fisher [beginner] a white promo of hey baby anthony white and some real cracking sixties stuff like buckner brothers on sanla etc,and yes all had Bob Slater written on them.PS HE RECOMMENDED TO ME THE DILLARD AND JOHNSON TRACK ON PIEDMONT ,YES IMPECCABLE TASTE.

BAZ A.

Social source share

True.

Mike

BOB SLATER IS A LEGEND ROUND THESE PARTS all my mates have 'bob slaters' as there known [his 45s with his autograph], i must have loads here!!

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

isn't Bob slater from Blackpool area or somewhere. There's a guy who i seen down there in of the record shops and he is so hooked up on Northerm i am sure he said he was Bob maybe it was him. Said he had a lot of records and when finding in the shop some cover of a Northern soul not sure now he said i will have that before anyone could take it.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert