Your Personal Most Played Of 2013

Dobber

We've discussed this before and I pointed out that Dusty Springfield's version of 'What's It Gonna Be' WAS the original version.

The truth is that the 45s were released at almost the same time.

Susan Barrett's version may have been issued in August or September 1967 (I'm not certain) and Dusty's version was issued in September 1967 (UK) and November 1967 (US).  Even if we could be sure that Susan's version was actually released before Dusty's, it would only have been by a few weeks and that doesn't make Dusty's a cover version because a few weeks wouldn't have been enough time.  And why on earth would Dusty cover an obscure B side of a flop US record?

Dusty's version was already recorded and it can be considered as the original version because it was produced by Jerry Ragovoy (uncredited) who wrote the song with Mort Shuman.  They recorded the track in New York (Dusty's vocals may have been added to the track in London) and the sesssion was directed by Gary Sherman.

Sherman had previously worked on some Barrett sessions for RCA so it's likely that he pitched the song to her or to her producer Paul Robinson.  At that stage there was probably a guide vocal by a demo singer on the Ragovoy track, it would be interesting to know who it was.

Personally, I think Dusty's version is far stronger, it's better sung and more soulful and of course it has those great backing vocals.

Paul

Evening Paul

Interesting stuff mate thanks. I don't really mind which was first but Dusty's version just doesn't do it for me and comes in as an easy second. Like I said earlier it's all very subjective isn't it. 

Anyway, hope you're well Sir.

Peter

:hatsoff2:

Social source share

We've discussed this before and I pointed out that Dusty Springfield's version of 'What's It Gonna Be' WAS the original version.

The truth is that the 45s were released at almost the same time.

Susan Barrett's version may have been issued in August or September 1967 (I'm not certain) and Dusty's version was issued in September 1967 (UK) and November 1967 (US).  Even if we could be sure that Susan's version was actually released before Dusty's, it would only have been by a few weeks and that doesn't make Dusty's a cover version because a few weeks wouldn't have been enough time.  And why on earth would Dusty cover an obscure B side of a flop US record?

Dusty's version was already recorded and it can be considered as the original version because it was produced by Jerry Ragovoy (uncredited) who wrote the song with Mort Shuman.  They recorded the track in New York (Dusty's vocals may have been added to the track in London) and the sesssion was directed by Gary Sherman.

Sherman had previously worked on some Barrett sessions for RCA so it's likely that he pitched the song to her or to her producer Paul Robinson.  At that stage there was probably a guide vocal by a demo singer on the Ragovoy track, it would be interesting to know who it was.

Personally, I think Dusty's version is far stronger, it's better sung and more soulful and of course it has those great backing vocals.

Paul

By the way, the backing vocals on Dusty's version were by Nick Ashford, Valerie Simpson and Carole King.

Social source share

6 songs that I have probably played the most in my wee record room last year.

Joe Simon - Georgia Blue

Al Castana and The Primettes - I need and love you

Almeta Lattimore - These memories

Clarence Haddon - Who is this

The Mumy - Don't let the sun catch you crying

Brenda Jones - Big mistake

gary

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Just checked my itunes playlist and record box and relevant to this forum my top 5 of 2013 were;

Soul children   Were getting too close

Gloria Shannon  Tears

Al Mcarther  His true love for you

Bobby Bland  Members Only

Monitors  You are my destiny (bit of a dark secret I know, but I like it!)

Bobby Womack and Nile Rodgers featured quite heavily but no particular tracks also started to rediscover the Isley Brothers. What a back catalogue they have.

Dave Banks

Social source share

I play a mixed bag across a few venues and am choosing these mainly on the strength of reaction/request than owt else:

60's

1.   Etta James & Sugar Pie DeSanto - In The Basement - Cadet

2.   The Marvelows - Your Little Sister - ABC/Paramount

3.   Yvonne Baker - Mend The Broken Pieces - Junior

4.   Hector Rivera - Do It To Me - Barry

5.   Marlena Shaw - Let's Wade In The Water - Cadet

6.   Bobby Moore's Rhythm Aces - Go Ahead And Burn - Checker

7.   Irene & The Scotts - Stuck On My Baby - Smash

8.   Brenda Holloway - When I'm Gone - Tamla

9.   King Errison - Zola - Canyon

10. Barbara Acklin - Am I The Same Girl - Brunswick

70's

1.   Willi J & Co - Boogie With Your Baby - KiKi

2.   The Chocolate Boys - Voltaire Pier - Trans Canada

3.   Blacksmoke - What Goes Around - Chocolate City

4.   Atlantic Starr - Don't Abuse My Love- A&M

5.   Esther Phillips - Home Is Where The Hatred Is - Kudu

6.   Cameo - Is This The Way - Chocolate City

7.   Leon Thomas - L-O-V-E - Flying Dutchman

8.   Donna McGhee - Mr Blindman - Anchor

9.   Ann Sexton - You've Been Gone Too Long - S7

10. Patti Labelle - It's Alright With Me - Epic

80s

1.   George Duke - I Want You For Myself - Epic

2.   Brainstorm - We're On Our Way Home - Tabu

3.   Sharon Paige - Tonight's The Night - Source

4.   Hi Gloss - Totally Yours - Epic

5.   Jewel - Paradise - Jewel

6.   Sharon Redd - Can You Handle It - Epic

7.   Rome Jeffries - Good Love - Rain

8.   McCrarys - Love On A Summer Night - RCA

9.   Cheri - Starstruck - 21

10. High Frequency - Summertime - NIA

Misc

1.   Bethea - One Eyed Dog In A Meathouse - Dynamo

2.   The Firebolts - Everybody Party (Get Down) - Greenback

3.   Willie Bobo - Fried Neckbones - Verve

4.   Fred Wesley - Doin' It To Death - People]

5.   Frank James & Shadow - Summertime - Supersonic

6.   Sil Austin - Disco Music - Jerri

7.   Jimmie Green - Dance - String

8.   J.B.'s Wedge - Bessie Pt 2 - Brownstone

9.   The Funkateers - Blow Bill Blow - Chocolate City

10.  Ray Munnings - It Could Happen To You - Tammi

Social source share

Hi all,

my 2013 top tunes are as follows:

Sharon McMahon "Where There Is Love"

The Harvey Averne Dozen "Never Learned To Dance"

Sandy Golden "Your Love Is Everything"

Larry Davies "I've Been Hurt So Many Times"

Don't have them but they were always on my youtube!

Andrea
Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

Spins in the house last year were;

1, Velvet Underground........Sunday Morning.

2,Dillinger.....Cocaine .

3,Sex Pistols ....Anarchy..

4,Soul Bros Inc...Teardrops.

5,Joe Adams......L.O.V.E.

Regards Sharmo.

Social source share

umm 5 for 2013 inc playing out and home/car...

1. lend me your hand-kindly shepherds..had this for a few years now but other than once I think I have played this out every time!..the only record in my collection that I have done that with so gotta inc it...still nowhere near bored with it

2.when he speaks-Dianne Elliot

3.i can feel it-carl carlton................both theses two come close second to most dj'd with and the diane Elliot gets lots of spins at home too..beautiful!

4.the kangaroo pt 3-abraham and the Casanovas... this was new to me this year (I think!) when kev higham did me a cd..although a cheapie took me a while to track one down

5.its not too late-Cheryl Johnson...this one is more of a home spin as john stapleton has been playing it at gogo for about 5 years!...a bit too funky for a lot of nights I get slots at but I have spun it out a few times..never thought id get one especially when one went for about £1200 in oct 2012!!....couple months later I got one for £120,writing on label and only a strong vg but plays much much better :-)

dean

Edited by spacehopper
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!