Jeff Perry - Love Don't Come No Stronger

bri pinch

Hi All..Sorry if this has been done before..but has anybody else noticed the difference in the two versions...

.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaKxnsgo0gA

this is the 2172(S) version, which is the regular version,this is the version on the UK copy also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-th9UY9ct1A

..then there's the 2149(S) version...just sumising this is the first version. Must admit there's lots of differences goin on which i'd never noticed before. Just goes to show what you can learn just by doodlin when ya bored off ya tits :lol:

Evening Bri :hatsoff2:

Nope never noticed the difference - not even sure if I knew there were two versions. The differences are huge - they must be if I can notice them! I'm pretty sure I have the "regular" one - might have to go and check though!

It's a class soul record in my book - one of those that should cost more me thinks.

Peter

:thumbsup:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Yes Bri the promo (US) is a different mix to the released I believe.

As an aside but also Arista the US & UK Debbie Taylors are different mixes too.

Cheers Paul

Paul 

there are US promos of both mixes. I think the 'handclap' mix (2149(S)) is far less common.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Yes Bri the promo (US) is a different mix to the released I believe.

As an aside but also Arista the US & UK Debbie Taylors are different mixes too.

Cheers Paul

Yeah must admit Paul did notice the difference between the DB's, the UK copy being edited from the US

Edited by bri pinch
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Well spotted Bri, never noticed that myself - but on looking into it. This is actually already documented on Discogs: https://www.discogs.com/Jeff-Perry-Love-Dont-Come-No-Stronger-Than-Yours-And-Mine/release/1999487

Always something new to learn in this game eh? 

Hi John

Now i Know what the RE means in the run out got a few records with that etching mark on them  :thumbsup: m8

atb Kev  :hatsoff2:

Social source share

Thank god Bri started this thread as I thought I was losing the plot , have pondered a couple of times about buying this again as it's a great cheapie imho but on the occasions I listened to it I was sure there were different takes. Now I know there is , phew !!

Not going crazy then  :hypo:

Swifty :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

This was also put out on the Heavenly Jukebox label, as the B side to a track called 'Devilish':

https://www.discogs.com/Various-Devilish/release/1389542

I picked up a fairly rough looking copy for 30p in Music and Video Exchange in 2010. It plays fine and seems to be the normal version (ie not the hand clapping). No idea if I've ever even heard the clapping version before, I certainly didn't notice that it was different if I have heard it somewhere.

I was also visiting a friend in Epsom some years back and got a copy of the Expansion LP 'Jeffree, Love Don't Come No Stronger' that came out in 2003. Epsom Record Centre, £2. The cover adds 'The Best of Jeffree (aka Jeff Perry). Interesting sleeve notes excerpts of an article that came out in 'In The Basement'.

Lots of good tracks on the album the version of 'Love Don't Come No Stronger' is again the non-handclap one.

Interestingly to me, it has 'Mr Fix-It' on the album too, with a longer version (4.08) than the one I have on an MCA demo which runs for 3.09.

Social source share

Thank god Bri started this thread as I thought I was losing the plot , have pondered a couple of times about buying this again as it's a great cheapie imho but on the occasions I listened to it I was sure there were different takes. Now I know there is , phew !!

Not going crazy then  :hypo:

Swifty :thumbsup:

Going? Nope your not going? :wicked:

Peter

:rolleyes:

Social source share

This thread isn't complete without the Soul Train clip which I posted up a couple of years ago at about the same time I won an ebay auction for a UK demo which the seller then promptly sent to the wrong address. He refunded the money and then sent an email a couple of months later ( which I didn't spot ) saying that it had found its way back to him and did I want it?. Bummer! I did eventually find another UK demo for about the same price. 

Here's the thread if anyone's interested.

Edited by autumnstoned
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!