E Williams Trade My Soul

Dobber

Hi gang

I'm interested in chasing after a copy of E WILLIAMS-TRADE MY SOUL TO THE DEVIL,my question is,is  the jimmie williams version the same guy,the backing music sounds the same,but the vocal sounds different to me!

And I'm guessing the e williams is somewhat rarer,so what's the approx value and how many copys knocking about? And who has one so I can get to work on grinding them down..haha

Ta

Lee

Social source share

Guest CapitolSC

Roger Banks had one which now resides in Maces box

Lovely track

The Jimmie williams version  on Tide is different and one went through Ebay earlier in the year

Al H

Social source share

E Williams. Love that 45. First heard it by Roger Banks back in early 90s? Seem to remember hearing it furst by RB at one of the Gt Yarmouth weekenders. Think there's a copy in Germany from what I recall from discussion on here also but I don't think there's too many about. One on popsike from a couple years ago went for about 2k? Could be more now?? 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Jimmy Williams is the same guy, Gary Myers (writer of the Wisconsin music book) found him because he does research on Tide and the guy told him he did a single as E Williams on Jaa Dee. I can probably get a question to E Williams indirectly if someone wants to ask something specific (the question should not be "Do you have a copy of your record to sell me").

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Come to think of it could be there I heard it too. Good nights those. 

Question to Boba.. Did Williams ever have copies?

Great soul nites there,weren't they on a Thursday nite? Who were the other regular djs,that place was my first introduction to tunes that have remained my faves!

Social source share

Great soul nites there,weren't they on a Thursday nite? Who were the other regular djs,that place was my first introduction to tunes that have remained my faves!

I can't remember now to be honest - Remember Buddy Aces' 'True Love Money Can't Buy' being spun when I first went and loved it from that moment on. Remember seeing a copy of george pepp there for sale and swooning. Pretty sure there's a few guys on here who dj'd there..

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I can't remember now to be honest - Remember Buddy Aces' 'True Love Money Can't Buy' being spun when I first went and loved it from that moment on. Remember seeing a copy of george pepp there for sale and swooning. Pretty sure there's a few guys on here who dj'd there..

I may still have my membership book from there too,and one of the djs sold me a John bowie and squires for £50 for the pair!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

E Williams. Love that 45. First heard it by Roger Banks back in early 90s? Seem to remember hearing it furst by RB at one of the Gt Yarmouth weekenders. Think there's a copy in Germany from what I recall from discussion on here also but I don't think there's too many about. One on popsike from a couple years ago went for about 2k? Could be more now?? 

That's correct.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

First played to my knowledge by George Sharp who sold it to Roger.  There are a few other copies around I believe, know of at least two.  Always believed Jimmy Williams the same guy just a different take, will have to compare again.

CHATEAUBRIAND STEAK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IVz5caq0cA

TESCO VALUE MINCEMEAT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sr819NU3UZo

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Christ your right mace! The youtube clips I've heard of the 2 different versions are the same,but clearly the 2 you have posted are worlds apart,the e williams is in a league of its own!  Bloody glad you cleared that up,I might of ended up buying a jimmie williams and being pissed off! Cheers mate!

Social source share

The first one is okay, the second one is sh*te, neither will remembered by myself from around 15 seconds after I post this as they both sound like B sides of something that might be half decent.

Happy New Year by the way.

I love your brutal honesty pete,it cracks me up...and yes happy New year brother!

Social source share

Few records of this calibre are available for £1,200 - availability is virtually non existent, maybe fewer than 10 copies. There are some records that loadsa money just can't buy and this could be one of them. You might have to go to 5K to prise it out of someone's collection or offer two massive records in trades.

That would be like swapping your Bentley for a Reliant Robin

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Which is also akin to replacing all your originals with reissues and boots.... ;o)

Is that addressed to me specifically?  I don't collect so it doesn't make any difference what I play something off.  Could be a one sided teacake with vinyl properties for all I care.  I have to sell all the originals to make a living.

I'm just talking about serious collectors with that analogy about cars.

Social source share

Is that addressed to me specifically? I don't collect so it doesn't make any difference what I play something off. Could be a one sided teacake with vinyl properties for all I care. I have to sell all the originals to make a living.

I'm just talking about serious collectors with that analogy about cars.

My point was to emphasise that we all have different tastes and collecting habits....the fact that you don't like the record doesn't mean it doesn't have a high value to some-one else.

It's an extremely rare record, hence the values quoted....though I would have thought £2.5k was top money, but I wouldn't personally sell even if I was offered £5k, or a Bentley...so go figure?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

As I said before taste is subjective, it might be a reliant robin of a record to some but to others it will be a Bentley.  It is an extremely rare record as well regardless what some think of it and would easily fetch well over £1.5k.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

My point was to emphasise that we all have different tastes and collecting habits....the fact that you don't like the record doesn't mean it doesn't have a high value to some-one else.

It's an extremely rare record, hence the values quoted....though I would have thought £2.5k was top money, but I wouldn't personally sell even if I was offered £5k, or a Bentley...so go figure?

Posted similar at same time. :)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I always enjoyed it when Roger Banks used to spin it just about everywhere he went in the early 90's!

Nobody else was playing it, as it is very rare!

Social source share

We all like records that many think are sh*t so to say someone wants their ears washing out isn't really fair, we all have guilty secrets when it comes to collecting.

as often happens on here, people post purely to slag off a record and reveal more about their own taste than about the record in question.

Not liking this is nothing to be proud of.

In other news, I saw a copy of the tide version go for about $500 last week and I'm wondering, when there's two versions of the same song, or two uses of the same backing track, and one is quite obviously worse than the other, who buys the worse one for serious money?

Edited by penny
Social source share

We all like records that many think are sh*t so to say someone wants their ears washing out isn't really fair, we all have guilty secrets when it comes to collecting.

Come on Chalky, I'm sure you said something like that at one time too. If there is one things that gets us all very passionate it's if somebody questions our taste.

I mean there are two types of records, the ones I like and the ones that are sh*t. :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Come on Chalky, I'm sure you said something like that at one time too. If there is one things that gets us all very passionate it's if somebody questions our taste.

I mean there are two types of records, the ones I like and the ones that are sh*t. :thumbsup:

Yes - brilliant and shite - they are the only two options in any music genre  :lol:  :lol:

Social source share

Are you stalking me or what? 

I have my taste and everyone else has theirs, that is all that matters.  I wouldn't tell anyone to wash their ears out for spending any amount of money on a record, except in jest of course  :thumbsup:

Edited by chalky
Social source share

• 10 months later...

I don't think the cheaper version is anything like as poor as some are claiming. In some ways it's a better record–maybe not for 'our' scene–and I can see why they wanted another crack at recording it with a fuller backing, girl chorus etc.

I don't have either but like both versions in different ways.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!