"i Want A Guarantee" - Another Unissued Version! Who Is It?

Benji

Should come to Berlin when Joerg is playing Tony, would be very surprised to see it on "that" auction( i know Joerg well :g: )

He´s got a great collection and is a good dj(pretty hard drinker as well :rofl: like most of the German dj´s!)

Have a good new year mate :thumbup:

Steve

Heh heh, good to hear that Steve, Good New Year to you to mate  :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

It could be The Apollas, because it was published by Warner in LA (and Renleigh in NY) and they recorded for Loma/Warner. Could it be something Warner pushed their way but didn't release? I can't explain how it would end up in Detroit though.

To my ears it sounds like them as well.

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

Should come to Berlin when Joerg is playing Tony, would be very surprised to see it on "that" auction( i know Joerg well :g: )

He´s got a great collection and is a good dj(pretty hard drinker as well :rofl: like most of the German dj´s!)

Have a good new year mate :thumbup:

Steve

Great guy to buy records off too :)
Social source share

my friend Joerg Puresoulie found this in Detroit, "I want a guarantee", uncredited 7" acetate. Same tune as Maxine Brown. I know there's also a songwriters demo acetate by Val Simpson but from what I remember that one is very sparse.

My bet it's the Apollas, what do you think?

45 sec clip here: attachicon.gif14 Female Soul.wav

Hi Benji

Awesome find for your friend it's 1 of the best STOMPERS i've heard in long time !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :wicked:

Needs to be issued legally imho i'd love 1  :yes:

atb Kev  :hatsoff2:

Edited by Kev John
Social source share

Much as it pains me to say it, it sounds like a New York recording with that manic percussion and trumpet - I'd say it's almost certainly the Discotays on accompaniment - so a Scepter in house production.

As to the vocalist not sure yet….. :g:

Edited by Steve G
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

It sounds nothing like what I recognise from Detroit, and not really like L.A. as far as the instrumentation and recording studio acoustics.  It sounds like New York to me.  The group doesn't sound like The Apollas to me.  Maybe it's a demo that Ashford and Simpson used to shop it, or to guide the chosen artist?  It doesn't sound like Candy of Candy & The Kisses.  It doesn't sound like a finished product.  I'd vote for a demo cut.  What female studio demo singers or group did Ashford & Simpson use?

Social source share

It sounds nothing like what I recognise from Detroit, and not really like L.A. as far as the instrumentation and recording studio acoustics.  It sounds like New York to me.  The group doesn't sound like The Apollas to me.  Maybe it's a demo that Ashford and Simpson used to shop it, or to guide the chosen artist?  It doesn't sound like Candy of Candy & The Kisses.  It doesn't sound like a finished product.  I'd vote for a demo cut.  What female studio demo singers or group did Ashford & Simpson use?

Valerie often sang em herself and changed her voice to try and sound like the singer she had it aimed at. At Scepter they also worked with The Shirelles of course although I haven't done an analysis of that.

Social source share

Of course it's not Detroit. From what Joerg told me it's just the place he found it. The Val Simpson acetates demos I've heard so far were all pretty sparse and by far not as full production as this one here. I agree, it doesn't sound finished but it's close. Maybe some strings and more horns?

To me too. Could be from the same sessions as "Are You Trying To Get Rid Of Me".

The more you guys say the Crystals the more I tend to agree with you. I look forward to what conclusion Ady's Girl Group experts come.

Social source share

Yes Val did her own demos for Flomar and I have an acetate of her doing this one so I doubt they'd have done a girl group demo as well, hers had b vox anyway,

Social source share

It doesn't sound like Shirley Alston or The Shirelles.  If it's The Crystals, I don't recognise the lead singer's voice as one I know.

Could be one of the other Shirelles on lead, haven't checked yet…..but the more I hear it the more I hear Stan Greenberg conducting The Discotays. So 99.9% sure it's NY. When was the Maxine version recorded - 65?

Social source share

Could be one of the other Shirelles on lead, haven't checked yet…..but the more I hear it the more I hear Stan Greenberg conducting The Discotays. So 99.9% sure it's NY. When was the Maxine version recorded - 65?

Yes, 1965.  And, this recording sounds very like late 1965.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!