Ray Agee - I'm Losing Again/ Hard Loving Woman On Cd?

The Springers is probably tucked away in the collections of a few U.S. "group" collectors, and there are more copies amongst that scene than we in the "Northern Soul" collecting fraternity would think.

In respect of Ray Agee, he signed up for Sherman and Ann Coleman's Soultown/Celeste/Coleman set up around 1964, leaving about 1966 to go to Brandin records, so the disc could have come out after then, without his knowledge OR permission, and could have been a disc scheduled for the celeste label. As far as Ray Agee having no knowledge of the disc, I think with an output of material that started in 1952 for Modern records, and recording for at least 20 labels his memory of specific tracks could be excused, especially if he didn't know they had been released and had not led an "austere" lifestyle. All speculation of course.

Des

According to the Delta No. July-Aug 1967

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guess I could just stop at home & listen to it on youtube or something similar.

Would save my 'boot' leather too (excuse the pun, I couldn't resist!).

In fact if everybody did that it would solve the problem of so many venue's on as well.

Jeezz, some folks just don't get it do they :no:

What dont some people get?

Social source share

Social source share

It.

See you are from my old home City of Sheffield.

Might I suggest a trip to somewhere like the Horti Club & then you might realise what I am talking about.

what's 'it'? What are you talking about? Why dont you just tell me?

I cant claim to be an authority on anything, but I went out dancing or djing, often both, every single weekend for 20 years straight, what enlightenment might I expect from the horti club, whatever that is?

will I learn that bootlegs are great, or that there is a national dj shortage and all must be encouraged?

Social source share

what's 'it'? What are you talking about? Why dont you just tell me?

I cant claim to be an authority on anything, but I went out dancing or djing, often both, every single weekend for 20 years straight, what enlightenment might I expect from the horti club, whatever that is?

will I learn that bootlegs are great, or that there is a national dj shortage and all must be encouraged?

Hi Penny,

I think "it" is summat to do wi computors. At Horti you can show your Leeks and spin your tunes.

Have a good new year!

Social source share

To all Springers worshipers, it's an "alright" record but I can see where Tez is coming from

.... it has a touch of cabaret to it, great to listen to in your living room or the car.

So please, no-one take offence, just my own personal opinion.

Additionally, let us forget the value and rarity of it for a moment....

.... IT'S IN THE "GROOVES" THAT COUNT!!!

• Helpful 2
Social source share

poor record.........sounds like one of those  dean martin kinda sounds

Excuse me Terry, Dean Martin was a very talented singer, I think far superior to Frank Sinatra,

likewise that Jackey Beavers (Love that never)is supreme to Steve Mancha (Friday Night).

Just agree mate.

Neil

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

:ohmy:  :ohmy:  :ohmy:  you've just gone down in my estimation Terry.

bloody hell, I've just realised my smileys are working on't iPad  :lol:  :thumbup:

didn,t think you northern folk could afford  ipads :lol: ..............springers    lead singer  tony  newly :thumbup:

Social source share

To all Springers worshipers, it's an "alright" record but I can see where Tez is coming from

.... it has a touch of cabaret to it, great to listen to in your living room or the car.

So please, no-one take offence, just my own personal opinion.

i actually agree with you, when i heard pete lowrie playing the acetate to me yonc,s ago i thought it ok, then when i paid a fortune for it in mint condition........guess what i thought it was wonderful.....g

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Agree with you George! It ain't in the same league as Ray Agee quality wise imho but as they say one mans meat etc. by the way Happy New Year mate! I will try and give you a ring later. Atb john

all the best to you john, hope the ray agee went down a treat last night....its a fantastic tune....some people say they can,t dance to it....my take ,... if your full of soul you can dance and soulful move to any tune.on the dance floor, the odd occasion people would leave the floor to a tune they didn,t know,i would just say they,ve been going to the wrong places and still learning the ropes ,could the professionals amongst us help the uneducated. to dance to this.....amazingly the dance floor would fill up again....remember rob thomas dj,in one spot and cleared the dance floor with blinding one after the other tunes for an hour...he came off to some applause and we left lateron saying no one danced but what a spot that was.we all laughed. g

• Helpful 2
Social source share

all the best to you john, hope the ray agee went down a treat last night....its a fantastic tune....some people say they can,t dance to it....my take ,... if your full of soul you can dance and soulful move to any tune.on the dance floor, the odd occasion people would leave the floor to a tune they didn,t know,i would just say they,ve been going to the wrong places and still learning the ropes ,could the professionals amongst us help the uneducated. to dance to this.....amazingly the dance floor would fill up again....remember rob thomas dj,in one spot and cleared the dance floor with blinding one after the other tunes for an hour...he came off to some applause and we left lateron saying no one danced but what a spot that was.we all laughed. g

Cheers George, Yes it filled the floor so I went home happy!! Just on way out will talk later, Atb John.

Social source share

Ah, didn't realise you were on here Neil.

In answer to your questions;

1. Yes thank you.

2. Definitely not.

3. Definitely not.

Happy New Year.  :D  :thumbup:

OK Phil, anyway, the scene is still going strong, so many fresh items turning up.... 10 20 30 pounders...., ,

some damn good belters, no end in sight to em which I feel is good for us.

Best,

Neil

Social source share

Guest stevie frear

Only worth looking for if your deck (or the decks you DJ on) have got the facility to pitch at -28.

Tim Brown told me Quinvy once had one but couldn't remember what he did with it.

Tim Brown told quinvy i had one but i can't remember buying it !!

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

RE;- Ray Agee, "I'm Losing Again", Personally I think Ray is singing

a northern production (edged with R&B)with obvious R&B vocals, a good

mix in my view.... is he still alive? He must be knockin on if he is.

He died in or around 1990 so I read somewhere.

Social source share

ted played ray agee Nye in Southampton and after many years I still danced..infact ran to the floor, love it!..great horns,hypnotic guitar riff wonderful vocals for me a mix of rnb influences and what we call 'northern'...not a hard beat IMO but maybe a bit fast for some today :thumbsup:

didn't one go for 3 of 4 figures recently despite having a big chunk out of it and missing a bit of the intro?

not gonna get involved in the whole bootleg debate again...except 'keep it real and you keep it special'....if everyone had it to playout it wouldn't be special anymore and we wouldn't be talking about it would we?

dean

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Why is it always assumed that young people dont collect originals? And that we have a desire to fill a box with boots and re-issues?

Why do young people always assume old people assume that ?   

Social source share

Can I buy it please? 

What is the price??

Hi Jesse, I have answered you with a Pm it reads pretty much the same as the last Pm. I will keep you up to speed with any further developments, as yet nothing further to report but it's looking like a done deal! Atb John

Social source share

ted played ray agee Nye in Southampton and after many years I still danced..infact ran to the floor, love it!..great horns,hypnotic guitar riff wonderful vocals for me a mix of rnb influences and what we call 'northern'...not a hard beat IMO but maybe a bit fast for some today :thumbsup:

didn't one go for 3 of 4 figures recently despite having a big chunk out of it and missing a bit of the intro?

not gonna get involved in the whole bootleg debate again...except 'keep it real and you keep it special'....if everyone had it to playout it wouldn't be special anymore and we wouldn't be talking about it would we?

dean

Totally agree!! Then people wonder why you don't like re-issue's boots etc!! Totally kill the impact of someone playing the original that you wont hear everytime you go out!!

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Well there seems to have been a few post on this thread stating that boots and re-issues are needed to keep young people interested, just replying to those people :rofl:

Ignore them kind of posts its just another type of stereo typing which old people do all the time just after their afternoon nap and before their nose trimming appointment  :D

trust me there are plenty of youngsters that buy only Originals so your in good company  :hatsoff2:

Social source share

dean

yeh one with a big chunk out went for about £500 a couple of years ago..missed about 10 seconds off i think.  the winner was on here ...might have been a bit less than 500 tho

Edited by dave pinch
Social source share

Well there seems to have been a few post on this thread stating that boots and re-issues are needed to keep young people interested, just replying to those people :rofl:

Dont worry bout that, it's just the bootleggers attempting a better sounding justification for their tat. In fact, boots and pressings appeal to lazy pretend djs of all ages.

it's a bit like the myth that young people need to start with entry level average cheapies, which older collectors conveniently have on hand to sell to them.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!