Ray Agee - I'm Losing Again/ Hard Loving Woman On Cd?

I used to hate it and dismiss it as R&B.

One day I listened to it and my ears opened.

Great band, great drums, great vocals, great tempo, great brass.

It actually starts R&B and gets more Northern as it goes along.

I can see why it's a big record and commands a big ticket price.

Cheers

Richard

Spot on Richard. The drumming is truly stunning and the vocal oh so powerful. A record to dream of owning. I never tire of hearing it.

Social source share

Guest chorleybloke

I like the record and it looks great, but I find it impossible to dance to, so I've never lusted after it.

Always been a top 10 want, although I have to agree with Phil in that it's just a tad too fast for a dancefloor full of 50+ year olds. Wouldn't stop me breaking the bank if one came up for sale though.

Social source share

Guest normokeh

each to their own then, pretty bog std R&B track in my opinion...

m

you have been sleep all your life lol

top notch northern

Edited by normokeh
Social source share

Hope you are not going to sell it before then :g:

For anyone wondering what this means, please check 'wants' on here.

Hi Julian, It won't be going anywhere except to be played at Burscough New Years Eve Bash !! After that it 's up to the purchaser! Atb John.

Social source share

Some of you might want to cast a glance over post 134 & also post 147 on this thread before you jump to any conclusions.

A mate once told me after he met Ray Agee that he wasn't aware the 45 had been released.  I doubt it was a bootleg and as I said in the topic in the link it wouldn't be the first time a record was released without the artists knowledge or consent.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

A mate once told me after he met Ray Agee that he wasn't aware the 45 had been released.  I doubt it was a bootleg and as I said in the topic in the link it wouldn't be the first time a record was released without the artists knowledge or consent.

Not suggesting for a second that it's a bootleg & that's why I quoted Ted's reply as well as the post that said it was a boot.

Just thought it might be of interest.

PS, in the highly unlikely event that it does turn out to be a bootleg I'll give you £50 for it Ted :D  

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I will be playing mine at Hinckley this Saturday 28th!!!!!!!

By some strange coincidence that's where we're heading on Saturday so look forwards to hearing it played. 

My poor old limbs are past dancing to it these day's though so I'll be nodding my head in approval somewhere :yes:  

Social source share

yep (3.For Millionaires Only), they were good CD's those...

Very over rated 45, sure its a pretty nice track, rare and all that, and as were told worth a kings ransom, but if you had the cash, would it be a big want?

Mal, its an awesome tune... 90% Northern 10% r&b... One of the anthem tunes!

You are a young-ish fellow... it'll grow on you :)

Social source share

I'm sure Tim Brown said that Ray Agee said it wasn't him on the record.

Social source share

I'm sure Tim Brown said that Ray Agee said it wasn't him on the record.

He may well have said he wasn't aware of the 45/recording, was a long time ago when it was talked about.  I don't remember him saying explicitly that it wasn't him though.

I guess we will never know for sure.

Social source share

Guest wigan bob

It's actually Donnie Elbert pitched down at -28 and originally pressed on Rumoursville Records.

I know this for a fact cus I read it on www-letstalkbollix.co.fantasyisland

thanks for that lets get diggin

Social source share

If it is RA it wouldn't be the first time that an artist has completely forgotten about something recorded back in the 60's

Ha, your right there Chalky, most of the 60's artists who are tracked down (and asked to appear live over here)

often need to listen to tapes/cd,s of their own recordings....bless em

Social source share

He may well have said he wasn't aware of the 45/recording, was a long time ago when it was talked about.  I don't remember him saying explicitly that it wasn't him though.

I guess we will never know for sure.

The release of Hard Working Man on Jewel sounds like I'm Losing Again in embryo stage. Ray Agee was a prolific artist and swapped labels enough times to lose track of his output. The Soultown release may well have occurred without his knowledge but I doubt he ever denied performing the song. Whatever the truth, Ray has given us a truly brilliant masterpiece. Anyone know the facts about the LA Soultown label as it has a couple of big tunes, several common ones and a range of bootlegs?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!