John Manship Auction Results 18-12-2013

JOE TORQUAY

Guest gordon russell

John does it the right way really, go to sotherby's and it is until just one bidder left.

A proper auction......goes until theres one bidder left.....thats how john should do it......not a time limit  then keep going

Social source share

Professionals is an awesome record, but that rare yellow vinyl copy does not look nice to me! 

Much rather have a normal black vinyl copy!

Edited by Guest
Social source share

A proper auction......goes until theres one bidder left.....thats how john should do it......not a time limit  then keep going

To be honest, I think the way the auction works is fairly clear and transparent, especially if you watch it happening live. It's all explained on John's site too.

What happens at 6pm is that the bids close on all items if there is only one person still in, with no competing bidder. So the bid standing at 6pm, if there is no competition, is the last and winning bid and all such items close. All very clear.

I think the bit not everybody gets, is that when there is more than one bidder still in at the end, the auction then becomes a virtual auction-room on-line.

If somebody bids on an item in the last two minutes running up to 6pm, the system then knows there is more than one person bidding and opens an extra two-minute window for competing bids to be placed. The bidders all know this and it gives everyone some time for reflection before placing a higher bid.

If the previous high bidder then comes back, or if someone else places a bid, a further two minute window is opened. The bidding goes on between the remaining two or more competing bidders until there is a final winner.

Got to say that the virtual live auction on John's website pretty much matches Chalky's description of Sotheby's auctions.

Sure, this is not how it happens on eBay, but it is how it happens in auction houses all over the world. What's more, everyone can see what is happening, so it's very transparent.

I think the live conclusion is actually a really clever and exciting part of the auctions, especially when there are items up there like the gold Professionals, Sandy Golden and Frank Wilson  :yes:  :yes: 

Cheers

Richard
Edited by Premium Stuff
Social source share

To be honest, I think the way the auction works is fairly clear and transparent, especially if you watch it happening live. It's all explained on John's site too.

What happens at 6pm is that the bids close on all items if there is only one person still in, with no competing bidder. So the bid standing at 6pm, if there is no competition, is the last and winning bid and all such items close. All very clear.

I think the bit not everybody gets, is that when there is more than one bidder still in at the end, the auction then becomes a virtual auction-room on-line.

If somebody bids on an item in the last two minutes running up to 6pm, the system then knows there is more than one person bidding and opens an extra two-minute window for competing bids to be placed. The bidders all know this and it gives everyone some time for reflection before placing a higher bid.

If the previous high bidder then comes back, or if someone else places a bid, a further two minute window is opened. The bidding goes on between the remaining two or more competing bidders until there is a final winner.

Got to say that the virtual live auction on John's sire pretty much matches Chalky's description of Sotheby's auctions.

Sure, this is not how it happens on eBay, but it is how it happens in auction houses all over the world. What's more, everyone can see what is happening, so it's very transparent.

I think the live conclusion is actually a really clever and exciting part of the auctions, especially when there are items up there like the gold Professionals, Sandy Golden and Frank Wilson  :yes:  :yes: 

Cheers

Richard

I wonder does the winning bid have to be topped to keep the auction going

Social source share

But how do you know when no one else is gonna bid.  Someone might bid whilst you are out at work or shopping, come back and its closed !! Have to put a time limit, no other way unless its a live Auction. 

Perhaps state that an Auction will start at 6:00 and keep going until no one has bid for 10 mins ??

Social source share

I wonder does the winning bid have to be topped to keep the auction going

Ted, I don't think the winning bid has to be topped to extend the time. I think that the new bid, even if it doesn't exceed the leaders max, triggers the extended "thinking time". This means that someone who has not bid enough has chance to re-think and bid more. Hence, the "auction fever" has time to take hold! :lol:

I like the JM auctions as it means you are not subject to "snipes". Also, I don't think there is an easy "bid retraction". You either just dump in your max bid any time before (Days or weeks) like with ebay and let things take there course, or get involved at the end.

Ebay with the "snipes" in effect becomes a "sealed bids" type effort.

Kev Bod.

Edited by bo diddley
Social source share

Ted, I don't think the winning bid has to be topped to extend the time. I think that the new bid, even if it doesn't exceed the leaders max, triggers the extended "thinking time". This means that someone who has not bid enough has chance to re-think and bid more. Hence, the "auction fever" has time to take hold! :lol:

I like the JM auctions as it means you are not subject to "snipes". Also, I don't think there is an easy "bid retraction". You either just dump in your max bid any time before (Days or weeks) like with ebay and let things take there course, or get involved at the end.

Ebay with the "snipes" in effect becomes a "sealed bids" type effort.

Kev Bod.

I thought that's how it works not fair me thinks

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!