John Manship Auction Results 18-12-2013

JOE TORQUAY

8590_1sm.jpg8590_1sm.jpg8590_2sm.jpg8590_3sm.jpg
Sandy Golden Your Love Is Everything C/w When We're All Alone Tonight

Hollywood, California GOLD!

A mystical legendary Northern Soul “GRAIL” first played by the much-loved semi-retired DJ Ion J. Tsakalis who purchased in the 1984 from Barry Waddington and teased the crowd for over 5 years covering it up as Sandy Fortier . Slowly but surely building itself a reputation of exclusivity (so exclusive this is the very first time it has been for sale on the World Wide Web) a massive validation of rarity.

Sandy’s brief encounter with writer producer Nate Fortier spawned 4 recording this one by far the best & giving up not one but two soulfully exquisite Northern Soul dancers. Little wonder when it’s rarity spanned decade to decade this became an almost mythical disc, ownership of Ion’s only known copy changed to DJ Rob Marriott and then to Richard Searling, which of course rocketed it into the realms of Northern Soul’s most-wanted, as ownership rights over the next 3 decades was down to only a couple of privileged DJ’s.

Well at last one has come to market - and is your chance to own an out-of-reach “masterpiece” that has been an aching yearning for every collector to own and every dancer to hear.

This 100% authentic original, adorned in the deadwax with “Drumstick” stamped in matrix moniker, from the same pressing plant that in 1968 pressed Bob Relf’s Blowing My Mind To Pieces.

Nate Fortier himself was no one-trick pony. His “Masterpiece” publishing company released at least two other 45s on his Hollywood based Phoenix label, notably the Temptations inspired Great Expectations (scan provided).

This is the very FIRST TIME this record has appeared on the w.w.web as an authentic vinyl-record - a goosepimple-inducing Northern Soul “tour de force” - do not pass by.

Sorry, this item has already been won!
The winning bid was £ 9,016.00

8563_1sm.jpg8563_1sm.jpg8563_2sm.jpg
Professionals That's Why I Love You C/w Did My Baby Call

You are viewing the world’s RAREST Northern Soul Classic ORIGINAL having been a ONE OF A KIND 45 for near 4 decades.

This is the unique YELLOW VINYL - SOUND INC. press.

Especially for those discerningly-dedicated global Northern Soul collectors who seek the ultimate rarities, coupled with unrivaled reputation and desirability.

Totally, never having been for sale on the worldwide web ever before and spending the last 30+ years treasured in one of the world’s finest Soul collections.

It is of course a the most-fabulous of Northern soul double-siders in a unique format that no other collector to our knowledge can boast of owning.

Staggeringly beautiful and offering up two of the most accomplished pieces of our music you could ever wish to here. No matter how great your Northern Soul Soul collection, this 45 in our opinion would “for those who appreciate ultimate rarity & beauty in one disc” - crown it all.

Gaze in awe as I did yesterday when it was delivered to me…

The winning bid was £ 4,027.00

8575_1sm.jpg8575_1sm.jpg8575_2sm.jpg
Cautions No Other Way C/w Poor Loser

Christmas Time is SHRINE TIME

It is no exaggeration to say the copy of one this labels finest recordings has never even been taken out of it’s birth-sleeve. How do we know? It was part of the famous “Oakland Load” when 15 copies were found in an entombed 25 count box. All copies had never seen the light of day since 1966, I’ve been saving this imprisoned copy until the last.

This example is still very lightly attached to the brown sleeve by a fleck of the hand-applied glue these labels were adhered with.

THIS COPY HAS NEVER BEEN REMOVED FROM THE SLEEVE

Obviously it is impossible to ever find a more perfectly formed copy!

You will NOT find a more appropriate Christmas gift for the vinyl-addicted Northern Soul devotee. Remembering the winner will be the very first person on Planet Earth to play it.

Girlfriends/Boyfriends maybe it’s time to reveal your love…and dig deep?

The winning bid was £ 1,006.00

8577_1sm.jpg8577_1sm.jpg8577_2sm.jpg
Invitations Watch Out Little Girl C/w You're Like A Mystery

Currently causing a “Free Beer” style sprint to the dancefloor!

Once again New York’s musical Latin influences hoist a vocal-group beauty into greatness. Having witness the stampede response at the “Sunny Hunny” weekend, I ended up singing it to myself on my 18” wide caravan bed to try and get to sleep..didn’t work..I nearly ended up dancing!

It’s a killer from this fabulous gathering of male vocals who never fail to please…

so current, so big it’s DJ box essential.

The winning bid was £ 352.00

Social source share

8576_1sm.jpg8576_1sm.jpg8576_2sm.jpg
Judy Freeman And Blackrock Hold On

Is it possible in 2013 to find one of the RCA STOCK copy “unthinkables” in MINT condition.

Yes it is, this copy is like new and it’s the “impossible” ORANGE stock copy, the one 99% of RCA stockoholics are missing!

Need we say more…

The winning bid was £ 415.00

8581_1sm.jpg8581_1sm.jpg8581_2sm.jpg
Tobbi Bowe Groovy Feeling C/w I Can Feel Him Slipping Away

Very elusive Los Angeles double helping of Sister Northern Soul.

I wasn’t sure which side to lead with as both sides are strong Northern Soul dancers that have enjoyed underground cult attention since the mid-70s, we’ll leave the best til last..

So let’s start with the uplifting horn-forced “Groovy Feeling” upbeat, relentless, compelling and unique 1968 session with Roy Norman…

but the “value” side has to be Tobbi’s take on the currently revived Mamie Lee’s “I Can Feel Him Him Slipping Away” Tobbi’s version benefits not only from extreme rarity but also a full orchestra with a discreet bari-tone gently pumping away in the background. Full girl-group assistance, a mighty bank of strings all fusing together into one of those “Big Productions” that sound so thrilling as they fill a hall with Northern Soul emotion.

Killer version and maybe 200 x rarer than the Mamie Lee version that we seem to have for sale 5 times or more a year, this 45 we’ve had in stock only 3 times in 40 years.

DJ’s who want to stand out, with this extremely popular tune, play the very rare version…plus you have a bonus of the other side too.

The winning bid was £ 361.00

8573_1sm.jpg8573_1sm.jpg8573_2sm.jpg
Rita Dacosta Don't Bring Me Down

The FIRST LABEL and the FIRST MIX of this Northern Soul classic.

Thought not to exist until it’s fluke discovery in a Tampa Bay Salvation Army shop in 1976, quickly transferred to the turntables of Cleethorpes Pier where it was already a monster tune on the “lighter” Mohawk production.

I vividly remember it’s first play with Ginger and Poke wide-eyed at the new take and uniquely style label. To this day very, very few have ever been found, of this the original Bert Keyes production which is heavier, louder and all together a better stomper than the Mohawk release, which out-numbers this Pandora trophy-piece by 100’s & 100s to one!

This copy is utterly flawless in every respect!

The winning bid was £ 529.00

8585_1sm.jpg8585_1sm.jpg8585_2sm.jpg
Supremes Love Train

British Tamla Motown collectors in 2013 most of you have now reached the end of the TMG Cul-De-Sac, living in hope of a MINT impossible or the PSR releases, TMG 1066 or other British Tamla Motown oddities that have remained off the market for decades.

Here is one such item.

1978 studio cut of an album track only, in preparation for the 1978 British album release STML12091 “At Their Best”

This disc is obviously most-probably UNIQUE!

act accordingly.. or that nagging feeling of TMG-incompleteness will follow you..forever

The winning bid was £ 126.00

Social source share

8578_1sm.jpg8578_1sm.jpg8578_2sm.jpg
Jimmy Mcfarland Lonely Lover

Unlike Santa Claus..

This Northern Soul classic does NOT come round once a year as the scarcely seen STOCK copy..

This offering is in blinding condition, having never met an Englishman or his stylus ever before..

The winning bid was £ 246.00

8606_1sm.jpg8606_1sm.jpg8606_2sm.jpg
Miracles The Christmas Song C/w Christmas Everyday

In the spirit of Christmas - how about the a PROMO only 7” used to promote the Tamla 236 album “Christmas With The Miracles”

Serial Motown number fillers, completeists and aficionados of this unparallelled label - will almost certainly be missing this promo which apparently was a ridiculously limited press.

Condition is gleamingly perfect - rarity is extreme.. and te timing could not be better for gift wrapping.

The winning bid was £ 140.00

8580_1sm.jpg8580_1sm.jpg8580_2sm.jpg
Homesick James Crossroads C/w My Baby's Sweet

Another inspired release of a USA blues session. This 1964 British press of the rare 1963 U.S.A. 746 recording. Classic style Chicago Blues from the pens of Willie Dixon & Homesick James.

These now iconic British SUE releases are becoming so very, very hard to find, the original company sleeves even harder. This is sadly the last sleeve in our stock.. it’s looks so inviting, so historical evoking visions of a young Guy Stevens & Chris Blackwell driven by blind-passion for USA R&B & Soul, striving to bring the music to our shores.

This was the infancy of Island Records; it could not be portrayed better, as this copy is a sparkling flawless MInt - / Mint -

The winning bid was £ 100.00

8582_1sm.jpg8582_1sm.jpg8582_2sm.jpg
Little Daddy Walton & Sons Highway Blues C/w I'm To Blame

As the R&B style Northern Soul stomper takes a strangle hold on many clubs music-policy we shall try over the coming months to offer a few rarities for your consideration.

Take a listen to the menacing-monster from Detroit! a “Godzilla” of a tune from the office of Johnnie Mae Matthews, as Johnny Mae is joined by Timmy Willis to drive a harmonica-crowded shaker, so ruthless by the ending it’s huge presence with have you on your feet.

Motor City blues with Tsunami-dancefloor effect.

VERY RARE btw.

The winning bid was £ 75.00

Social source share

8584_1sm.jpg8584_1sm.jpg8584_2sm.jpg
Superstars Featuring Willie White Come To Me C/w Little Rock's Song

I’ve just had my day brighten up, by some real SOUL from the streets of Little Rock, Arkansas.

Stand by for a glorious mid-tempo journey saturated desire, emotion and class. a sultry rap intro opens up for Willie White’s beseeching vocal to take stage.. to immediately warm your soul. Jazzy arrangement reminiscent of the very best that Barry White every crafted, is fortified by an unobtrusive male harmony chorus, lifting again what is already a fabulous production.

So good is this track I loath to let you listen to the instrumental flip side, but the upbeat disco-dance enthusiast will warm to the Van McCoy style production.

…let’s switch back to the vocal master-class of the other side…”special” goes nowhere close in critiquing the session.

Vinyl has light surface marks - but it plays, as you can hear - perfectly.

The winning bid was £ 293.00

8579_1sm.jpg8579_1sm.jpg8579_2sm.jpg
Golden Apples Of The Sun The Monkey Time C/w Chocolate Rolls, Tea & Monopoly

RARE 1965 Andrew Loog Oldham take on the Major Lance classic, underlining the Brits fascination with the emerging Soul sound that was sweeping the English clubs of the era.

This is not the norm Brit-take on USA recordings, the lead vocal is rich, the backing is simplistic but highly effective, added male chorus imitates the Chicago penchant for harmony vocal back up, fine work indeed.

The flipside is the fabulous example of the 1965 MOD sound incorporating the Motownesque Marvin Gaye style “Wonderful One” rhythm with added hammond, occasional distant chant, fluid guitar work, relentless percussion..this is so very MOD, you’re “Immediately”catapulted back the era Union Jacks, Mini’s, Lambettas and flares.

Two great sides, one very very elusive disc.

The winning bid was £ 47.00

8588_1sm.jpg8588_1sm.jpg8588_2sm.jpg
Hamilton Movement Love Circuit C/w Send Me Some Love

Potent 70s FUNK from the Indianapolis hood; An angry full-on wah-wah driven production, serving notice to dance!

Shout vocals, timely key changes fabulously inventive back-up choruses bounce around the studio as the team get-down. A no-holds barred, noncommercial gathering where every member just let’s it go, fusing it into a wall of attitude-driven sound.

For the real soul fan the other side is an undiluted soul-ballad again with no aspirations to please the general public and they deliver another session that would only appeal to the Soul-Purist.

You’ve gotta respect groups that just get in the studio and do “their own thing” without outside influences interfering with the flow…

Street-level SOUL at it’s most convincing..

The winning bid was £ 34.00

8605_1sm.jpg8605_1sm.jpg8605_2sm.jpg
Greater Experience Don't Forget To Remember

Just in time to go under the tree.

A PERFECT copy of Arthur Fenn’s late 70’s discovery that took Cleethorpes allnighter by a storm, becoming a monster overnight and igniting jealousy from all his fellow Gleggy DJ’s knew what it was - covered up announced as “Billy Parker - I Can’t Let Go”

If perfection is what you seek - this copy is just that - played one for the impressive soundfile attached.

THIS IS NORTHERN SOUL - that turned Arthur’s friends 40 shades of “green” 

The winning bid was £ 535.00

8583_1sm.jpg8583_1sm.jpg8583_2sm.jpg
Brand New Thousand Years

Simplistic piano buries itself into swirling strings, a brief guitar then Cornelius Brother and Sister Rose styled vocals waft in from heaven.

Beautifully constructed soulful dance at exactly the correct pace to sway the room. Been a dancefloor favourite now to a long time, but the sheer class of this disc purveys the quality that you can never grow tired of

as AWESOME today as the last time I heard it..

The winning bid was £ 550.00

Social source share

Thing is with the Sandy Golden - the Sweets record with the same backing is miles better but goes for 4 or 500 quid - 9 grand for a record which can only be described as 'pleasant' doesn't make sense.  Still, if you've got it, flaunt it...

To some though it is far better than pleasant. I'm not saying it is worth 9k but to someone it clearly is. It is extremely rare as well.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

To some though it is far better than pleasant. I'm not saying it is worth 9k but to someone it clearly is. It is extremely rare as well.

Agree, was watching this in the dying embers, three bidders all going head to head….Dunno who won it in the end though…..

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

If someone has his heart set on a fairly pleasant but quite average 45 and is lucky enough to win it for a mere NINE THOUSAND POUNDS I think we should all be happy for him.

It was his lucky day.

:g:

Social source share

Agree, was watching this in the dying embers, three bidders all going head to head….Dunno who won it in the end though…..

I was waatching it myself Steve and when the time remaining went under a minute, another couple of minutes kept getting added on.

The final two bidders names I saw were 'hedgehog' and 'diflucan'.

I think a few of us will know who 'diflucan' is.......

Social source share

I was waatching it myself Steve and when the time remaining went under a minute, another couple of minutes kept getting added on.

The final two bidders names I saw were 'hedgehog' and 'diflucan'.

I think a few of us will know who 'diflucan' is.......

Dunno who these dudes are - care to tell us? is it Ian Dewhirst? :unsure:

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

dont get it, if one went abroad it will still be five copies or am I summat missing here ??

Along the lines of this was found in the UK ,although it was not a previously known copy before the guy decided to market it on here about two months back :wicked:

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Thing is with the Sandy Golden - the Sweets record with the same backing is miles better but goes for 4 or 500 quid - 9 grand for a record which can only be described as 'pleasant' doesn't make sense.  Still, if you've got it, flaunt it...

Yep....it is pleasant.......pleasantly out of reach :lol: ............hasn,t some one just found a box of   50?

Social source share

Pete , i know its a bit late to put in a letter to Santa ,but seen as i'm not a believer any more and your my best chance ..

So if you can get me a nice copy of the sweets on Soultown ,i'll split you the difference  between your estimated price ... say £450 :g:  :yes:

I'll be forever in your debt kind sir :wub:

Edited by NEV
Social source share

Who on earth paid over £350 for the invitations! :hypo:

Not in the least rare, even I've had 4 copies (at prices from £30 to £70). The £70 is what I paid JM off his site around 2001 and it goes through eBay pretty regularly too (one on there now, $150 mint)

I wonder if some of these buyers pay someone to put the records on their turntables for them so they don't have to lean forward?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

dont get it, if one went abroad it will still be five copies or am I summat missing here ??

Yeah was lazy reply. I know of five copies, all in the UK but could now be four if this was sold abroad. I don't know of any anywhere else, not saying there is though as you can never say for sure what is in collections anywhere in the world.

Social source share

Who on earth paid over £350 for the invitations! :hypo:

Not in the least rare, even I've had 4 copies (at prices from £30 to £70). The £70 is what I paid JM off his site around 2001 and it goes through eBay pretty regularly too (one on there now, $150 mint)

I wonder if some of these buyers pay someone to put the records on their turntables for them so they don't have to lean forward?

Got some Pat Brady lists from the mid 90s with this in the cheapies section @ a fiver or £3 if you bought 10 (10 for £30)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Why in a auction does the finish time keep changing if finish time is 18:00 it should finish at 18:00 not keep adding time.Most internet auctions have a set finish time,

it's a different kind of auction, real life auctions obviously get extended when people bid. actually now most non-ebay internet auctions are those penny auctions which are constantly extended.

Social source share

Why in a auction does the finish time keep changing if finish time is 18:00 it should finish at 18:00 not keep adding time.Most internet auctions have a set finish time,

It's been that way for years and is I have to say extremely frustrating if you are bidding on something, but that's the way it is. It's his auction and it's up to him how he runs it. Essentially it gives any other bidders time to counter bid which I guess helps the seller and John (price may go up) and gives any other bidders an opportunity to "up" their bid......It's also psychological - once you are the high bidder and think you are winning, then someone comes back and outbids you with a minute to go, it's the easiest thing in the world to go "fook that yer bastard - I'm going to get this record!!" and bid higher than you'd originally intended. i think that's why his auctions are so successful (for the seller).

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!