Which Records Should Be Played Out To Break The 500 Mould

Rodders22

MAL C, Thanks for the list mate, some great tunes her and some I don't know; but good old youtube will help me out I'm sure.Ive got The Natural Four-Love's so wonderful. 70s Magic. I bet you would like: A Little On The Blue Side-Spellbinders . Happy Xmas Rod

I can give 50 lists like that Rod, there are tons and tons of tracks, to be honest I wonder why we have these discussions some times, if you want fresh music to play, if your a DJ and all that, its out there.... believe me, thousands of em...

Mal.C

Edited by Mal C
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest manusf3a

Didn't go down that well at Wigan did it.? Not heard it for years.

I liked it Sounded better at Samanthas dont think it is on a 45 I know it as an lp track.

Edited by manusf3a
Social source share

Hey" thanks everyone,so many great tracks you have mentioned on the thread.New a lot but a few had escaped me,I've played TRY ME by SYL JOHNSON at one of the alldayers and heard Carms play it out; great track Kev Farley mentions by THE SPELLBINDERS which is a great double header with the top draw CHAIN REACTION on the other side, also like his other choice in TALKIN; BOUT JONES by BOBBY JONES which needs to be played. I hadn't heard THATS WAS THE WHISKY TALKIN by RONNIE FORTE before but I'll have to look out for it.THE DIPLOMATS AND DRAKE & theEN-SOLIDS our what's it about..,GREAT UNDERPLAYED NORTHERN SOUL. Thanks again Rod

Social source share

I may have got the wrong end of the stick, But how about this lot... any of em, any order, this is what I like...

Gene Toons - what More (applaud the chap above Pls...)

Sandy Hollis - Im Tempted,

The Carpets - Keep Pushing On,

Joe King - Speak On Up

Pic and Bill - Come Back Baby

The Vanguards - Gotta Have Love

Marion James - I'm The Woman For You

Tommy and the Derbys - Goin Back to Houston

The Fantaisions - Unnecessary Tears

Keni Lewis - Aint Gonna make it Easy

Jimmy Helms - Your Mine You

The Whispers - I Cant See Myself Leaving You

Charles Spurling -She Cried Just a Minute

The T.S.U. Toronadoes - Only Inside

Jack Montgomery - Dont Turn Your Back on Me

The Impacts and the Fabulous Soul Bros- My Baby

Deena Johnson - The Breaking Point

Ronnie Savoy - Loving You

Johnny Adams - You're A Bad Habit Baby

The Moments - Baby, I Want You

Mercy Men - You Made it Thunder

The Pretenders - Temptation Walk

Shep - I'm Sitting In

Mr. Lucky - Born To Love You

The Themes - Bent Out Of Shape

Rhythm Masters - Talking about my Baby

Tommy Knight - Don't bring back memories

Bobby Jones & The Para-Mounts - Check Me out

Edwin Starr - Running Back And Forth

Little Beaver - Do It To Me One More Time

The Natural Four - Love's so wonderful

The Esquires - Listen To Me

The Spellbinders - Help Me

Sam Williams Singers - For My People

The Themes - No Explanation Needed

Mal.C

Top list Mal,but it thought the thread starter wanted more NS standard examples.Could be wrong,usually am. :)

I'd love to see the reaction in the East Mids to Tommy & Derby's - Houston.!!! (i'll have your copy when you've done,, :wicked: ). 

Social source share

I may have got the wrong end of the stick, But how about this lot... any of em, any order, this is what I like...

Gene Toons - what More (applaud the chap above Pls...)

Sandy Hollis - Im Tempted,

The Carpets - Keep Pushing On,

Joe King - Speak On Up

Pic and Bill - Come Back Baby

The Vanguards - Gotta Have Love

Marion James - I'm The Woman For You

Tommy and the Derbys - Goin Back to Houston

The Fantaisions - Unnecessary Tears

Keni Lewis - Aint Gonna make it Easy

Jimmy Helms - Your Mine You

The Whispers - I Cant See Myself Leaving You

Charles Spurling -She Cried Just a Minute

The T.S.U. Toronadoes - Only Inside

Jack Montgomery - Dont Turn Your Back on Me

The Impacts and the Fabulous Soul Bros- My Baby

Deena Johnson - The Breaking Point

Ronnie Savoy - Loving You

Johnny Adams - You're A Bad Habit Baby

The Moments - Baby, I Want You

Mercy Men - You Made it Thunder

The Pretenders - Temptation Walk

Shep - I'm Sitting In

Mr. Lucky - Born To Love You

The Themes - Bent Out Of Shape

Rhythm Masters - Talking about my Baby

Tommy Knight - Don't bring back memories

Bobby Jones & The Para-Mounts - Check Me out

Edwin Starr - Running Back And Forth

Little Beaver - Do It To Me One More Time

The Natural Four - Love's so wonderful

The Esquires - Listen To Me

The Spellbinders - Help Me

Sam Williams Singers - For My People

The Themes - No Explanation Needed

Mal.C

Keni Lewis - Aint Gonna Make It Easy..... top tune IMHO

Social source share

Where bloody hell I've been? Wounded Woman-Sandra Wright is SOooooo Good. Jeanette, always a floor filler, Prove it to me, don't hear it out to often. And what a fantastic tune:I won't cry-Tommy Smiley is, truly didn't know it! Well done Andy Dyson and Co.I fully agree with Chalky and Citizen P; same old play list is getting a bit Stale. Regards And thanks Rod.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Soultown andy

Where bloody hell I've been? Wounded Woman-Sandra Wright is SOooooo Good. Jeanette, always a floor filler, Prove it to me, don't hear it out to often. And what a fantastic tune:I won't cry-Tommy Smiley is, truly didn't know it! Well done Andy Dyson and Co.I fully agree with Chalky and Citizen P; same old play list is getting a bit Stale. Regards And thanks Rod.

Is that the first time you,ve genuinley heard Sandra wright.

Social source share

Guest Soultown andy

Danny white and james lately are great records,sadly I fear only the danny white would meet with oldies only club approval.That st George and tana is shite lol.

Social source share

Guest Soultown andy

Exactly Andy, keep James Lately out of it

Kev

You can just see the blank expressions on the 300 faces at some oldies events as the soulfull tones of jl comes out of the speakers.

Social source share

Guest Soultown andy

Or Buddy Smith, "When you lose the one you love" Andy, different times, different world, different scene altogether 

Kev

And as some have said never the twain shall meet,sad really.

Social source share

James Lately just a dirge to my ears. Don't think anyone would be interested it it wasn't rare. Just my personal opinion of course.

Blew my head of first time I heard it and I had no idea if it was rare or not. To be honest I didn't give a flying.

IMO a fantastic record :)

Social source share

Or Buddy Smith, "When you lose the one you love" Andy, different times, different world, different scene altogether 

Kev

You're right mate. One of the finest records ever made Kev. Big up To Gilly for having the taste to spot this.

Social source share

couldn't tell you.....never read the book......posted it 'cos its an oldie that I don't hear at oldies nights, thought that was the gist of the thread  :g:

I thought it was to list records that might (or should) go down with the oldies crowd outside of the top 500 mate.

Social source share

Blew my head of first time I heard it and I had no idea if it was rare or not. To be honest I didn't give a flying.

IMO a fantastic record :)

tiz a great record.

gasher on here traded his copy with Weston for a current huge indemand uptempo floorfiller,so Weston wanted it for its pure soul content.

but alas,it wouldn't break into the break the 500 mould.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

James Lately just a dirge to my ears. Don't think anyone would be interested it it wasn't rare. Just my personal opinion of course.

Wrong, being championing cheap mid-tempo records along with the rare for 30 yearsalong with the likes of Chalky,Gilly, Jock O,connor, Ady Harley, Gaz Kellet and on and on

Kev

Edited by kev cane
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

You can just see the blank expressions on the 300 faces at some oldies events as the soulfull tones of jl comes out of the speakers.

That's exactly right Andy, lot's of blank faces, it's a fantastic soulful tune, however it ain't a dancer, & Top 500 nights are about the dance floor.  

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Soultown andy

That's exactly right Andy, lot's of blank faces, it's a fantastic soulful tune, however it ain't a dancer, & Top 500 nights are about the dance floor.

Yep wouldn't be one for back droppin and spinnin to lol,but what a late night [bout 4am]rare room shuffler.

Edited by Soultown andy
Social source share

must admit a lot of the suggestions that have been put up,are prob classed as oldies now to those who stayed on the scene late 80s/90s,lol

wasn't about the speed then(records,not the gear),beat ballads,mid-tempo,r&b,60s newies or semi-known(even tape swappers sometimes) if it was good we/they would dance.

Social source share

I would love to hear more lesser known tracks at top 500 nights, but  most underplayed / Rare soul enthusiasts won't go a long to their local oldies night & hound the promoters & DJ's to play something different,  So by default it's all top 500. Not a critisism more an observation.

Social source share

I found this im my mates collection I bought & had never heard it before(just sold it tho).

if it isn't already an oldie,its sounds just right & first few seconds would get me up on the dance floor.

pacesetters/ im gonna make it / minit.

Minit label strikes again. So many great tracks on the label.

John

Social source share

was worse when I dj'd for years on scooter scene,had to play the same old northern everytime(along with,ska,reggie,punk,psychobilly,indie etc) they moaned if playd northern they didn't know.but was always the northern that got them running to the dancefloor,lol.

in those 15years only 2 new northern records come to mind that got excepted in....

ketty lester / some things are better left unsaid  & Nolan porter / if I could only be sure

weird tho a mid-tempo & a 70's,lol.

Social source share

Here's another one. Classic Northern, sh*t rare, still not widely known (probably because most of the "top jocks" haven't got a copy)

Billy Harner - I've got to check you out

Played it a couple of weeks ago in Bristol, always goes down well!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!