Why Would Any Collector Buy A Cracked Record?

Scal

You're right. Forgot about the MVP's. 

I personally would say that it doesn't devalue a record and isn't really worth mentioning when selling.

After all, its been there for 40 plus years.

But, was just checking really for if I sell something on here.

Obviously, It's not an issue if you're selling at a venue as the record can be seen. 

Yeah I don't see this as a fault at all, it's on millions of styrene records, it's more like a seal where plastic is joined together.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I had a 45 I cracked while cleaning on Pzazz (don't recall title) that was in great condition except for the crack.  Played great all the way through on both sides.  Was worth about $400 in one piece, but still sold it on for $80 cracked.  I was pleased, as it was better than throwing it away.

None cracked when i brought them but now

George smith - Ive had it promo

Ruby Andrews - Just loving you 

Carstairs - He who picks a rose Promo 

All on the devils plastic - it worries me every time i look in the box

Stin

Social source share

Some cracked records play perfectly. Some cracked records can be sold on at a profit. No one would choose to have a broken record in preference to an intact one but sometimes you have to settle for less than the best. I sold a cracked Five Chances on Finch for a £100 making a nice margin - the dealer who took it sold it on making his cut. We all have cracked records I suspect, particularly the owners of larger collections, but how many of us actually scrutinise every disc meticulously before parting with the cash - not me for one. Every trip to the US results in at least one cracked record per 100-200 bought but they can be sold on if they play OK.

Social source share

None cracked when i brought them but now

George smith - Ive had it promo

Ruby Andrews - Just loving you 

Carstairs - He who picks a rose Promo 

All on the devils plastic - it worries me every time i look in the box

Stin

You're right, I've done three in the last two months flicking through boxes hurriedly trying to get the next choice ready - started to take two boxes out now with half the records in so I'm not sprising (?) them up.

Social source share

A common-or-garden £10 record that's cracked-not much point really is there? But a cracked mega-rarity,that plays fine, at an appropriate lower price-i'd definately go for it!! If it was a personal fav' that i'd been searching for yonks to get[and that i could afford,of course]-after all-when would another chance arise??? We weren't all lucky enough to get a mint copy of 'so-and-so' for 2d, back in 1970-something...........;-)

Social source share

I bought Carl Hall What About You 20 years ago for £20. Plays perfectly.

Will be getting a spin at the Jam House on the 29th

Don't see a problem with it.

Social source share

Russel Bowers known as Rug,r.i.p, great lad,good pal and great sense of humour,bought a Del Larks at a little all dayer at Melton Mowbury mid 70s,it had a crack right though it,I mean all the way,yet it played allright, so Job Opening with a crack was heard at a number of venues ,all nighter and soul night where Rug dj ed so I would say he knew what he was doing .Dont know for sure who Rug bought it from but it was one of two folk .One thing I do know is that he still paid a good few quid at the time but that sum would seem paltry now along with the price paid for many of the really big records back then,even the lower end ones compared to noW

Dont and never have dj ed or had the records to do so but agree with Steve Lanes philosophy ie buy to play, which may well differ from the pure collectors concept of the mint condition record.label ,sleeve etc.

Can't be 100% sure, but I have a memory of one mate of mine ( possibly Guy H) having a Del Larks that was cracked completely in two pieces. To fix it, it had been glued onto another scrap record (with the middle knocked out I think, so there was just the grooves left)

From memory it played acceptably for dj'ing, I dont remember even a slight noise, because I was gonna buy it off him. Only mentioned this because it might be the same actual record ( maybe your mate bought it off Guy, or vice versa?) Be good to know where it is now?

I bet it still plays okay though, a good repair is better than not having the record to play, or worse still a 70's boot.

I have a Nite Life copy of Jades that's actually in 3 pieces & looks awful. It's held together by a combination of tape, glue and melting, but on the odd occasion I've played it in an oldies set it rams the floor and nobodys the wiser. If you pay 10% of full value, or even rising up to 50% in the case of mega rarities, then thats fine in my book. Anybody got a cracked but playable copy of martha star I'm Lonely? home waiting at a fair price :-D

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I don't really see a problem.
If it's cracked and you know it and it plays ok,
why not, till a better one shows up, or not as the case may be.
I've got a few I've had for years, no problem for me.

Even sold a few, as long as everyone knows about it.
Depends if you want one to play or to polish.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest manusf3a

Can't be 100% sure, but I have a memory of one mate of mine ( possibly Guy H) having a Del Larks that was cracked completely in two pieces. To fix it, it had been glued onto another scrap record (with the middle knocked out I think, so there was just the grooves left)

From memory it played acceptably for dj'ing, I dont remember even a slight noise, because I was gonna buy it off him. Only mentioned this because it might be the same actual record ( maybe your mate bought it off Guy, or vice versa?) Be good to know where it is now?

I bet it still plays okay though, a good repair is better than not having the record to play, or worse still a 70's boot.

I have a Nite Life copy of Jades that's actually in 3 pieces & looks awful. It's held together by a combination of tape, glue and melting, but on the odd occasion I've played it in an oldies set it rams the floor and nobodys the wiser. If you pay 10% of full value, or even rising up to 50% in the case of mega rarities, then thats fine in my book. Anybody got a cracked but playable copy of martha star I'm Lonely? home waiting at a fair price :-D

Rugs one had a crack that run right the way across it but played perfect,as I said he bought it at an all dayer we were at about 76 time,it got played at st Ives defo and a few other places and he had it for a while,still had original label ,I could well imagine it is indeed the same record you mention further down the line of time having had some wear and repair along the way,if you can play it then 10% or % of a biggies value is worth paying,why indeed shouldnt it be !Unfortunately Rug Bowers r.i.p bless him isnt around any more to pm or talk to for the histry of what happened to the del larks a la cracked right through but sounds great after he had it though it may have been sold on just before him and my other mate Wilky went to Ameica around 78,79 if me memories correct as he did sell some but not all of his sounds to finance buys in the USA.

Social source share

Guest Chris J Cooper

Bought Seven Souls 3 weeks ago for £25.00 Seller said it was cracked and in poor condition, took a chance, yes the labels a bit nacked, but you can barely detect the crack, even when played. Well nobody noticed it when I did. At that price it was worth the risk

Social source share

Guest JIM BARRY

While djing at lowton civic, I took timmie Williams off the turntable and it broke in my hand, from edge to middle, it broke my fookin heart as well...

it still clicked together and played ok.

sold it to mick h for £500 and got half my money back,

and yes,...he was aware.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!