Why Would Any Collector Buy A Cracked Record?

Scal

I just do not get why anyone collecting records would purchase something that is beyond knackered!

Similarly I cannot fathom why someone knowing that the record is cracked would expect to gain something from it's sale.

Am I being naive?

Social source share

Depends on the record, how rare it is, and whether or not it's playable. Will also depend on the buyer and how long they have waited to secure a copy, any copy, that will at least play. Obviously, they'd now have the record until a better condition copy turns up in the future. But yeah, couldn't do it myself.  :huh:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

And when they have secured a copy in decent nick.....what do they do wirh the cracked thing?

Depends on how much the cracked copy cost I guess. If cheap enough, they'll just keep it if they can't sell it on. I've done the same with certain records that haven't been cracked but which have been in less than good shape. Again, it all depends on individual circumstances. But yeah, on the face of it, doesn't seem like a good idea buying a cracked record.

Social source share

We are on the same wavelength....a cracked record has no value.....in my ipinon!

That's not entirely true. I have a couple of cracked records that play perfectly well. So they do have value, in as much as I can play them. Now, as to their monetary value, that's another matter. I guess it depends on the condition of the record and whether or not it plays without any problems or noticeable clicks. Mine are otherwise in excellent condition and play without any problems. As for their resale value if I were to try and sell them? Well, I'm never going to sell them so that solves that problem. So you see, buying cracked records isn't entirely 'crackers'  :wicked:  :D  :lol:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

When can I pick it up Simon??? :lol:  :lol:  :lol: :lol:  

I paid ten quid for my copy about 25 years ago and still play it out to this day played it at Stoke in my so called R-n-B set.

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

What for?

To keep....and know it's cracked, and being a collector.....or

to resell knowing it is cracked?

Mate are you seriously telling me that a two grand plus record for a tenner and plays with a few clicks isn't worth it ?

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1
  • I had it from Tim Brown at Anglo American this was roughly the same week he sold a mint copy that belonged to Martyn Koppel for £300.00 I think to Gary Spencer , same day I bought soul bros inc teardrops for £30.00 and Judy Hughs for a hundred both of which were not cracked regards Simon.
Social source share

That's not entirely true. I have a couple of cracked records that play perfectly well. So they do have value, in as much as I can play them. Now, as to their monetary value, that's another matter. I guess it depends on the condition of the record and whether or not it plays without any problems or noticeable clicks. Mine are otherwise in excellent condition and play without any problems. As for their resale value if I were to try and sell them? Well, I'm never going to sell them so that solves that problem. So you see, buying cracked records isn't entirely 'crackers'  :wicked:  :D  :lol:

Someone just paid 450 quid for a cracked copy of Bill Bush. It was a proper crack repaired with glue. It was also warped and off centre but was repaired. Why on earth would someone pay that kind of money for a record that is basically f*cked? It is a lot to shell out hoping for a better copy. Madness.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Someone just paid 450 quid for a cracked copy of Bill Bush. It was a proper crack repaired with glue. It was also warped and off centre but was repaired. Why on earth would someone pay that kind of money for a record that is basically f*cked? It is a lot to shell out hoping for a better copy. Madness.

No chalky....whoever bought that for that price is a bellend!.......I have more than a couple of cracked 45s that play perfectly which I purposely bought to play out. I payed £80 for my copy of Bari Track about 10 years ago and I can play both sides no bother!

I don`t collect records, I just buy them for DJing with, I don`t usually look around for minters...if it plays ok and its at a decent price ill buy it.

So if anyones listening......... :thumbsup:

Social source share

We've probably all got a couple of cracked records sitting in our collection and we don't even know it! Especially with those styrene copies. A record could be cracked just around the run out groove following the groove itself, or cracked from the edge of the label just into the grooves and you would never spot it.

Social source share

Someone paid £450 for a 45 which is cracked, repaired with glue, warped and off-centre ???

I'm shocked that nothing shocks me these days.

:ohmy:

Social source share

I sold a phonetics-just a boys dream on here for a couple hundred quid,that was cracked and glued together,but it played alright,and for a record that is rare and hardly ever comes up for sale less than 1500 quid,collector or dj would be more than happy with a less than glamouress looking record for cheap money!

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Only time I've intentionally bought a knackered record (I mean trashed) was for just a couple of £'s and it was for Smokey Robinson's Miracles, Bad Girl, from 1959, and it was trashed, but I just wanted to hold and own it, as it was the first record ever put out on Tamla, if memory serves it even had the serial number G1....priceless, even though it was virtually unplayable, but well worth owning just to look at.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest manusf3a

Russel Bowers known as Rug,r.i.p, great lad,good pal and great sense of humour,bought a Del Larks at a little all dayer at Melton Mowbury mid 70s,it had a crack right though it,I mean all the way,yet it played allright, so Job Opening with a crack was heard at a number of venues ,all nighter and soul night where Rug dj ed so I would say he knew what he was doing .Dont know for sure who Rug bought it from but it was one of two folk .One thing I do know is that he still paid a good few quid at the time but that sum would seem paltry now along with the price paid for many of the really big records back then,even the lower end ones compared to noW

Dont and never have dj ed or had the records to do so but agree with Steve Lanes philosophy ie buy to play, which may well differ from the pure collectors concept of the mint condition record.label ,sleeve etc.

Edited by manusf3a
Social source share

So Ted, lets set the record straight (pardon the pun), you sold a 45

I bought Lester Tipton for £30 cracked still got it and Len Jewell original Teri De cracked for £35 (sold it for £1750)

So Ted, lets set the record straight (pardon the pun), did you explain to the buyer

that Len Jewell was cracked... before he parted with his dosh?

If so, that's got to be a world record!

Social source share

I bought my Exus Trek west coast (vinyl) issue, from Pete Smith on here a few years ago, not cracked.....very hard one to get, not in the best of condition......actually I tell a lie, the vinyl looks like someones been dancing on it as well as to it :yes: but it plays crackle-free both sides :thumbsup:

I think £120.00

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Only time I've intentionally bought a knackered record (I mean trashed) was for just a couple of £'s and it was for Smokey Robinson's Miracles, Bad Girl, from 1959, and it was trashed, but I just wanted to hold and own it, as it was the first record ever put out on Tamla, if memory serves it even had the serial number G1....priceless, even though it was virtually unplayable, but well worth owning just to look at.

No.  It was the first MOTOWN record.  Tamla 101, "Come To Me" by Marv Johnson was the first Tamla record.  Wade Jones on RayBer 1001, was recorded first, but was released a few weeks later.  G1 was the cut number.  "Bad Girl" by The Miracles was record number TLX-2207, which appeared on one pressing of it.  While only the cut numbers, G1 and G2 appeared on the other pressing.  Both pressings are very rare.

Social source share

No.  It was the first MOTOWN record.  Tamla 101, "Come To Me" by Marv Johnson was the first Tamla record.  Wade Jones on RayBer 1001, was recorded first, but was released a few weeks later.  G1 was the cut number.  "Bad Girl" by The Miracles was record number TLX-2207, which appeared on one pressing of it.  While only the cut numbers, G1 and G2 appeared on the other pressing.  Both pressings are very rare.

Yeah you are right Robbi, it was a Motown (Black stripe) record, G1. :thumbsup:

Social source share

"Bad Girl" is even rarer on a 78rpm, so I heard somewhere?

Social source share

The answer is it depends what it is and whether the crack NAP...I mean a real one off known copy or complete unkinown you could easily see a collector (or upfront DJ) buying a copy with a crack in it if it plays through without a major click.....BUT Run of the mill "northern rarities" I have to agree unless you are "Desperate Dan the DJ Man" you should be patient and wait for a decent copy to turn up. :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Just on the subject of cracked records.

I have bought near mint records in the past and on arrival they have a styrene pressure fault, with the line showing on both sides of the record.

It's quite common in styrene and hasn't been pointed out before buying the record.

I've never regarded these faults as a crack as most people don't. But you do get the minority of people that do.

So, my question is, does a styrene pressure fault reduce the value of a record.  

Social source share

So Ted, lets set the record straight (pardon the pun), you sold a 45

So Ted, lets set the record straight (pardon the pun), did you explain to the buyer

that Len Jewell was cracked... before he parted with his dosh?

If so, that's got to be a world record!

I can beat that, I sold Mr. Lucky for £2500 with a crack in it.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Just on the subject of cracked records.

I have bought near mint records in the past and on arrival they have a styrene pressure fault, with the line showing on both sides of the record.

It's quite common in styrene and hasn't been pointed out before buying the record.

I've never regarded these faults as a crack as most people don't. But you do get the minority of people that do.

So, my question is, does a styrene pressure fault reduce the value of a record.  

If it did, 99% of owners of the MVP's would have a  cracked record

Social source share

If it did, 99% of owners of the MVP's would have a  cracked record

You're right. Forgot about the MVP's. 

I personally would say that it doesn't devalue a record and isn't really worth mentioning when selling.

After all, its been there for 40 plus years.

But, was just checking really for if I sell something on here.

Obviously, It's not an issue if you're selling at a venue as the record can be seen. 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!