E Bay Advice

Peter99

Hi All

A bit of a dozy query I guess.

Anyway, I only recently started buying stuff from eBay and so far so good......................However, just had a record delivered from Holland and it's damaged. I could see a dent on the outer packing and when I opened it I found it was cracked all the way through. The packaging wasn't the best - but it was ok, and it's obviously taken a serious knock in transit.

So, do I just write it off? Do I have other options?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Peter

Social source share

Take a photo of the packaging and the cracked record, making sure you get the area of damage.  Contact the buyer, sending him any photos that you can, and ask if there's any way he can claim compensation from the Dutch post office.  

It happened to me a few years ago when I sold a John Lee Hooker LP to a guy in France.  It arrived in much the same way you described, but he sent pics of the damage, and I used this as evidence against the Post Office when I claimed.  They paid up within a month, and I successfully refunded him as a result.

Quite a tough one this, given that you can't really do him for "item significantly not as described".  Good luck anyway Peter.

Edited by Gene-R
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Technically the sender is liable.  It has not arrived to you as stated.  If you let them know they should refund you fully.  If they refuse you can raise a complaint via E-Bay and Paypal if you have paid via Paypal.  I have had some tthe same in the past. I sent the record back to sender ( as they asked me to ) and they claimed for the refund.  Take a picture of the Packaging and the Record and send it to the 'sender' as proof to show them you are not trying to pull a fast one.

Good luck matey

Tezza XX

PS: Is it worth the effort is another thing.  If its a Tenner then hardly worth the effort but if its a healthy sum then got to do it.

Edited by Tezza
Social source share

Take a photo of the packaging and the cracked record, making sure you get the area of damage.  Contact the buyer, sending him any photos that you can, and ask if there's any way he can claim compensation from the Dutch post office.  

It happened to me a few years ago when I sold a John Lee Hooker LP to a guy in France.  It arrived in much the same way you described, but he sent pics of the damage, and I used this as evidence against the Post Office when I claimed.  They paid up within a month, and I successfully refunded him as a result.

Quite a tough one this, given that you can't really do him for "item significantly not as described".  Good luck anyway Peter.

Technically the sender is liable.  It has not arrived to you as stated.  If you let them know they should refund you fully.  If they refuse you can raise a complaint via E-Bay and Paypal if you have paid via Paypal.  I have had some tthe same in the past. I sent the record back to sender ( as they asked me to ) and they claimed for the refund.  Take a picture of the Packaging and the Record and send it to the 'sender' as proof to show them you are not trying to pull a fast one.

Good luck matey

Tezza XX

PS: Is it worth the effort is another thing.  If its a Tenner then hardly worth the effort but if its a healthy sum then got to do it.

what they said.   :wink:

Social source share

Thanks Gene

Peter

Social source share

Good luck matey

Tezza XX

Thanks Tezza.

Peter

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I sent this question to the seller earlier

"I received my record this morning thanks. Unfortunately it has been damaged in transit and it is cracked right the way through. I'm sure it was fine when you shipped as I can see that the outer packaging has taken quite a big knock. Is there anyway you can claim from the carrier?

Thanks

Peter"

I received the following prompt reply

"Hi Peter,

I'm sorry to hear this but of course it was fine when I shipped it! This sucks because I thought I packed it very well with extra cardboard on both sides?!

I just checked a paper from the post office and I can only claim actually when item would have been shipped with insured post... this would have costed 16.5 euros instead of 10.5 euros and package would have been insured for up to 500 euros...

regards,

I guess that's fair enough as I should have asked for insured post. He seems a decent enough bloke. It was a £50 quid record - a minter too, when it left Holland! :(

Peter

Social source share

You are still insured up to £20 even with normal post in the UK, not sure about other countries.
You need to ask him or find out through a web search what insurance cover normal post includes from his country.
I know the UK bit is true as one of the counter staff asked me what was in a parcel that I was sending and what it was worth when I asked for recorded delivery.

I told har about £18 and she said "you know normal pst covers you for £20?". I still sent it recorded as that is what the buyer had paid for, but worth finding out in your case.

Edited by Northern Soul UK
Social source share

I've been told that if item is worth more than £20 you wouldn't get a penny back as you should take extra insurance to cover full value.

You are supposed to prove how much you paid for the item when claiming...so this could be classed as underinsured at standard £20 cover via Royal Mail, and this invalid for any basic cover.

Don't know how true this is, but sounds quite likely....

Social source share

You are still insured up to £20 even with normal post in the UK, not sure about other countries.

You need to ask him or find out through a web search what insurance cover normal post includes from his country.

I know the UK bit is true as one of the counter staff asked me what was in a parcel that I was sending and what it was worth when I asked for recorded delivery.

I told har about £18 and she said "you know normal pst covers you for £20?". I still sent it recorded as that is what the buyer had paid for, but worth finding out in your case.

Is that £20 if coming from another country cos

I've always been lead to believe items are insured upto £34 , unless its changed recently, and also you can only claim what was paid , not what item was worth, such a ball ache claiming off Royal Mail , don't know many people who are successful with a claim.. Phil

Social source share

Hi All

A bit of a dozy query I guess.

Anyway, I only recently started buying stuff from eBay and so far so good......................However, just had a record delivered from Holland and it's damaged. I could see a dent on the outer packing and when I opened it I found it was cracked all the way through. The packaging wasn't the best - but it was ok, and it's obviously taken a serious knock in transit.

So, do I just write it off? Do I have other options?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Peter

Do what Gene says, see what seller says if he wont play ball enter a "item not as described" Ebay will take your side.

Edited by Chris L
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!