Has The Bottom Fallen Out Of Cheaper Record Sales?

If you have bought a rare record from a dealer a few months ago drop them an email saying that times are hard and you are thinking of selling it to get some cash back . See how much you get back compared to what you paid for it in the first place , then you will realise how much it is really worth

See post 88.  :D

Edited by Quinvy
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

If you have bought a rare record from a dealer a few months ago drop them an email saying that times are hard and you are thinking of selling it to get some cash back . See how much you get back compared to what you paid for it in the first place , then you will realise how much it is really worth

How or what made you think that one up ?

A dealer makes a living buying and selling records ... he's always gonna stick something on top when he sells it to you ,that;s business .. and he's always gonna offer you less than it's worth if you offer it back ...to repeat the cycle .

Thats not set in stone ... he may well be someone who has built up a friendship or maybe see's you as a good buyer ,so may offer you your money back as a good will gesture ..

On the other hand ,the value could have gone up or even down since you bought it :g:

Too many variables to list em all down .. but your example is the same as buying a brand new car from a dealer .. as soon as you drive it off the forecourt ,you've lost the VAT straight away ,so it's not worth what you just paid for it .

The only way to recoup your money, is to offer it up for sale ,to another person who wants it as much as you did in the first place .

That's the key to selling records ... finding the right buyer :yes:

But if you knew when you bought it in the first place that the price was high ,then chances are ,finding that buyer is even harder :(

Two types of buyers ... the  guy who has patience enough to sit and wait for yrs until the right copy comes along at the right price ....

the guy who is impatient and loses all sense when the first available copy turns up !

Of course , it ultimately depends on how much money you have at your disposal when said record turns up :wicked:

Its a funny old game eh :)

• Helpful 2
Social source share

A dealer makes a living buying and selling records ... he's always gonna stick something on top when he sells it to you ,that;s business .. and he's always gonna offer you less than it's worth if you offer it back ...to repeat the cycle .

Thats not set in stone ... he may well be someone who has built up a friendship or maybe see's you as a good buyer ,so may offer you your money back as a good will gesture ..

On the other hand ,the value could have gone up or even down since you bought it :g:

Too many variables to list em all down .. but your example is the same as buying a brand new car from a dealer .. as soon as you drive it off the forecourt ,you've lost the VAT straight away ,so it's not worth what you just paid for it .

The only way to recoup your money, is to offer it up for sale ,to another person who wants it as much as you did in the first place .

But if you knew when you bought it in the first place that the price was high ,then chances are ,finding that buyer is even harder :(

Two types of buyers ... the  guy who has patience enough to sit and wait for yrs until the right copy comes along at the right price ....

the guy who is impatient and loses all sense when the first available copy turns up !

Of course , it ultimately depends on how much money you have at your disposal when said record turns up :wicked:

I resemble that remark, or I did.  :lol:

• Helpful 3
Social source share

This is all well and good but the problem is that people who are not dealers then use 'the dealers' selling price as the yardstick for their own sales and promulgate the fallacy that eg. Moses Smith on Dionn is a rare record and worth 150 of your Eeengleeesh pounds. Of course when  you offer them the forty quid you think it's really worth they claim "It went for.....blah blah blah".  To which my usual retort is "Sell it to him then. But please let me know how that works out for you". :lol: 

Regards,

Dave

• Helpful 3
Social source share

actually only started with a jokey reply , don't want to get into a money laundering debate, but I don't think " laundering" is selling the odd item you bought for a tenner ,and sold on at a killing , lol

Sorry to continue this, but that isnt laundering, you're correct. Laundering is pretending you bought the item for a tenner, when in fact you bought it for about the same as you sell it for, but with wads of drug money or something. It's precisely money laundering actually, but let's move on.

Social source share

Dear Dave, its like me (or anyone for that matter) buying a brand new motor from a dealer

then takin it back next day tellin them times are hard, would you expect a full refund?

Social source share

Sorry to continue this, but that isnt laundering, you're correct. Laundering is pretending you bought the item for a tenner, when in fact you bought it for about the same as you sell it for, but with wads of drug money or something. It's precisely money laundering actually, but let's move on.

yes let's move on :)
Social source share

That doesn't determine the records worth though does it?  If there is demand behind the record or it is a record that holds its price then you'd be a fool to sell it to a dealer.  

A dealer will pay quite a bit less than its worth to cover his over heads, the fact he may not sell it and he will want a profit on the record, he won't get that paying the records worth.  

The dealer will resell the record at probably the price you paid for it in the first place, maybe more if demand has risen.  

The only way jot will be listed for less is if quantity has been found then it will be kept quiet.

Social source share

ok, back on topic: why do cheapies not sell anymore?

maybe, market for cheapies is saturated? or collectors don't want the "common" stuff because of some strange kind of one-upmanship?

problem is, the majority of those "cheapies" is cheap, because they're not very good. period. they're average or even worse. some of them records do sell because they're either on a collectable label or by an collectable artist. but most cheapies aren't.

what do you think?

Social source share

maybe, market for cheapies is saturated? or collectors don't want the "common" stuff because of some strange kind of one-upmanship?

problem is, the majority of those "cheapies" is cheap, because they're not very good. period. they're average or even worse. some of them records do sell because they're either on a collectable label or by an collectable artist. but most cheapies aren't.

what do you think?

Load of rubbish about the not very good is what i think. There are some fabulous cheapies out there. The reason they are cheap is because there are quantity of the titles in the hands of dealers and in circulation.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

what do you think?

Ok prices dropped then how much can I pay for an Innersection original then please pm me with your price

• Helpful 1
Social source share

For what it's worth , here's my thoughts. Firstly a large percentage of folk on here have decent collections I would have thought and a lot of the mid range stuff (£30-£100 records , not that they are to me ) most will have or not want. I don't think it's worth trying to sell a so called £20 record on here for £15 because most will either have it or don't like it, you would be having to offer it at £5 to get any takers , I reckon. I've been that daft tw*t who's bid on ebay for a record I don't really like to re-sell to make a few quid for a want. That doesn't seem to work for me though , as I can buy a record that books at say £120 , buy it for £50 and sell the fooker for £25 if I'm lucky  :lol:

Swifty :thumbsup:

sorry for the Vino speech  :hypo:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Ok prices dropped then how much can I pay for an Innersection original then please pm me with your price

I paid £295 in 2006 for an Ex+ Issue,  and I'd say it's worth about the same now   !!!!    :g:,  but just to confirm that's not an offer for sale,  I'm not selling it yet  !!.   Oh !   and if you want to know how Ican be so precise, I keep all my original emails for reference  lol   :thumbup:

Edited by upthejunction
Social source share

I think you are trying to dispel the rumour that Germans have no sense of humour again Beni,and I am normally on your side. So if a record becomes in demand goes up from 10 to 150 it suddenly gets better?How much is the Dells Make Sure again? Would I not buy it because its pish or would I not buy it because I have it, or would I not buy it because its not cool to dj with. I would, and have bought about 5 copies of that, just for the sheer pleasure of listening to it before giving it away, to people who I know like soul music. How many great records on Chess under a tenner and they are all pish? No, they are common and not that in demand if all you want to buy for is to dj, which despite the pleas is what 99% of todays buyers are doing. Listening through their arse and paying through their wallet.When it comes to pure musical pleasure, from what I read, the majority don't have a f**ing clue so are buying spots, they deserve to paytoo much, cheapies are better left to people who buy a record for how it sounds to them rather than what they think someone else might think of it. People who buy for pure pleasure, as rare as that obviously is for lots of people.The "scene" and those people deserve each other right now,More gin doctor, I did try and stay away, but should have known my 12 step programme wouldn't get through a thread like this.

We are not worthy, we are not worthy.

After all those years of doing without food, clothes, holidays and worrying about how I was going to pay my household bills and my credit card bill. Spending every waking hour on eBay or trying to persuade another vinyl junkie to sell or swap me a record. To think it was all because I wanted to buy a spot. The records were all rubbish, and I was listening through my arse and I never got any musical pleasure from listening to them.

Well I wish you had told me before I had wasted half my life oh great one.

Edited by Quinvy
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Kinda sad that no one wants cheap records that are very good sounds in many cases. What happened to building up a collection gradually, aiming to buy everything that sounds good regardless of price? Now so many 'hot boxers' want to be DJ's... or is it the DJ's want to be 'hot boxers' which is lazy collecting IMO, maybe not even proper collecting, perhaps merely quick acquisition or something equally shallow. Time was, whoever had the most records, had a pretty good collection but now it's about who's got the rarest and most expensive sounds and can bag a spot on the pub/club circuit. The surplus of cheap records was inevitable when UK diggers turned up warehouses jammed with MPac, Marvlus and Jerhart etc - these labels pressed tens of thousands of records in the belief they would chart but very few sold in significant quantity. Maybe one day, the low-end records will be revived when the world realises there are more decent 1960's soul records waiting to be picked up than the total output of the music industry in the last 40 years.

The scene itself created "hot boxing" with it's demand to hear rare or new big sounds. Younger collectors in their 20's who want to DJ and get a name have to hot box, they aren't old enough to have amassed a collection that has become indemand or 45's that have become scarce and with the prices going up they have to sell on to get the current big spins. 

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Where are these cheap records, I don't see many bargains,must have missed yours,very rarely do my bids win,usually selling well over the top.

Same here.  I just can`t find quality, raw 60s Northern at a fiver or better still 3 for a tenner for love nor, well, money .  :huh:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

All I can say is you aren't looking hard enough.  Loads of quality in the 10/20 quid range.  You won't find them if you don't look, you need to get looking through boxes and listen, or visit websites that dealers have and listen to clips.  If you go to nighters/soul nights those that are selling often have offers of 3 for 20 etc.

Edited by chalky
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

We are not worthy, we are not worthy.

After all those years of doing without food, clothes, holidays and worrying about how I was going to pay my household bills and my credit card bill. Spending every waking hour on eBay or trying to persuade another vinyl junkie to sell or swap me a record. To think it was all because I wanted to buy a spot. The records were all rubbish, and I was listening through my arse and I never got any musical pleasure from listening to them.

Well I wish you had told me before I had wasted half my life oh great one.

Jock was replying to comments that Benji had made, why get all defensive ?

Kev

Social source share

Here we go again..a genuine question being taken out of context and eventually turned into one of the usual soulsource gripes. Zzzzzzzz

And what is that gripe Nev? I suspect you have completely missed my point in your mad rush to defend yourself. Read it again and tell me where I am wrong.

Social source share

... So if a record becomes in demand goes up from 10 to 150 it suddenly gets better?

There's another cognitive distortion that goes with this: I hear people describing records as "starting to get rare" when they mean rising in value.

Maybe there's a fortune to be made in running courses of "logical thinking for soul record buyers"...

• Helpful 2
Social source share

err you would have to explain where you got the cash from in the first place , which you would have electronically declared you had by selling your purchases on eBay , nowt to do with paying the tax , it's where you got your money to buy the goods you're selling.so you wouldn't be a great launderer.Believe me if you think the customs and excise boys would fall for that old chestnut you wouldn't stand a chance , you'd have to come up with a better one than that. Or so I'm told

How would they discern between someone selling a collection that they have built up over years and someone who has bought a load of records cash to sell trying to legitimise the money? I couldn't explain where or when I bought all mine if I decided to sell them.

I know people who have hidden money in records and I know that paypal shut down accounts that have a sudden amount of money through them but it isn't difficult to open multiple accounts, I have three for example.

Not arguing, just interested :-)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

All I can say is you aren't looking hard enough.  Loads of quality in the 10/20 quid range.  You won't find them if you don't look, you need to get looking through boxes and listen, or visit websites that dealers have and listen to clips.  If you go to nighters/soul nights those that are selling often have offers of 3 for 20 etc.

OK - school report reads must try harder!!

Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

there's more than enough cheap records out there and I love it.

I have very limited funds and really get a kick out of receiving a good cheap record through the post when I know I have sifted through an awful of lot records to find the one I like at the price I like

Social source share

And what is that gripe Nev? I suspect you have completely missed my point in your mad rush to defend yourself. Read it again and tell me where I am wrong.

Interesting ... I don't see a quote bubble on my post with your name or text in it?

I don't even see a post that is me defending myself?

Phil's post could be deemed as defensive, as Kev points out.

maybe your question is aimed at him and you pressed the wrong button ,who knows?

Social source share

I think there's loads of great sixties uptempo dancers out there cheap....which is what i believe the backbone of the scene is.In a way i like this crossover...popcorn ,reggae soul,r&b, latin diversions as it means other collectors are playing with other balls.Prices would be sky high if they were all chasing underplayed great northern records.There's also a lot of people out there on limited budgets with no taste buying crap cheap records and playing them at local doos.The Commands Hey It's Love!! It's crap...but at least youre not chasing a Living End on Essica!!

What about  this £20 well spent

Edited by wiggyflat
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

How would they discern between someone selling a collection that they have built up over years and someone who has bought a load of records cash to sell trying to legitimise the money? I couldn't explain where or when I bought all mine if I decided to sell them.

I know people who have hidden money in records and I know that paypal shut down accounts that have a sudden amount of money through them but it isn't difficult to open multiple accounts, I have three for example.

Not arguing, just interested :-)

was talking about laundering money as in week in week out not selling a collection the one time ,my mate is a VAT inspector and if someone they were investigating had any account with paypal they'd trace it , anyway can't be arsed with it , FFs just a fookin jokey comment and get 3rd degree some fookin saddos on here
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

was talking about laundering money as in week in week out not selling a collection the one time ,my mate is a VAT inspector and if someone they were investigating had any account with paypal they'd trace it , anyway can't be arsed with it , FFs just a fookin jokey comment and get 3rd degree some fookin saddos on here

We live in sensitive times, some folk have no contact with the outside world anymore and the soul scene is just a fading memory, a bitter pill to swallow, so please bear that in mind next time you indulge in any form of humour ;)
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Interesting ... I don't see a quote bubble on my post with your name or text in it?

I don't even see a post that is me defending myself?

Phil's post could be deemed as defensive, as Kev points out.

maybe your question is aimed at him and you pressed the wrong button ,who knows?

Oh I apologies, your gripes comment and your zzz's that appeared when I was the only one griping were just massive coincidences, of course. So what were you referring to exactly then?

Looks for raising glasses smiley.

Social source share

Wheres the likes of Baz Atkinson, with his fantastic contribution to the site, via his long running crossover thread along with other threads like the cheap gems thread that ran via refosoul. As a limited budget buyer, those were  exciting times. I`d take more time to read the just arrived in the post, thread but by the time, the vast amount of youtube clips have loaded in, my computer has either crashed, or ive gone for a shave :lol: . I still don`t get the whole sales thing, for the simple reason, do people not do any research, through the site search on here, ive seen two within two weeks of each other, with nearly £100 price differential, same condition. There is no stability in record pricing, for the simple reason, if you've got the money, you can get anything really. This then poses the question are they really rare records?? Also can someone explain to me, because for the life of me I can`t work it out, how does a "TOP" dj playing a record, increase the value of said record, When others at other venues have been playing it for years doe`s it make it more elusive, because a certain dj plays or re-activates it?.  In this day and age with all the information out there we now know what the rare records are, the rest are just priced up by demand .

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I think there's loads of great sixties uptempo dancers out there cheap....which is what i believe the backbone of the scene is.In a way i like this crossover...popcorn ,reggae soul,r&b, latin diversions as it means other collectors are playing with other balls.Prices would be sky high if they were all chasing underplayed great northern records.There's also a lot of people out there on limited budgets with no taste buying crap cheap records and playing them at local doos.The Commands Hey It's Love!! It's crap...but at least youre not chasing a Living End on Essica!!

What about  this £20 well spent

Forget the tempo argument for one moment (I've Terry to convince yet) :wink: ....But your point of loads or records being cheap (and fantastic) is so right and I can't believe anyone thinks otherwise. It ain't even hard work - For example just ask Chris Anderton to send you a sales C.D, and I bet most people would find something fantastic on there very affordable - I also like the 'tease' if it's just a clip of a record 'cos that can catch you out :D 

You mentioned Latin (referring to people playing 'thinking man's tunes') So here's another example. Just see this as a 'piece of music' not heard out (much?) rather than your opinion on whether it should get played. I haven't a clue on value for this one mind - it's not and shouldn't be important (As you pointed out)

All the best,

Len :thumbsup: 

'Ray Terrace - Listen To Me'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfwiNXSGIeQ

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

There was a great topic on here btw some time ago cheap as chips with some great recommendations.

Come on, a lot of them were absolutely good quality soul tunes, but not, you know, 'big'. The thing is, there's not much novelty left in this shit, people come straight in hearing the stuff that's slowly risen to the top over years, no crappy 'entry level' compilations or dealers sales tapes to wade through before you hear the really good shit. nearly all the tunes are out there now, and for a collector or dj, it's a case of cherry picking. And a tune really does have to stand out to attract real demand.

I dont know enough about northern to know what's what, but from what I see in my circles, any common record that is really great does sell well - the darrow fletchers on groovy, nina simone's 'come on back', mack rice on lupine, even john lee hookers you can sell all day...really common records that sell well. Anything of this quality that is still a tenner is probably just not well known yet . Most popular records were cheapies at some point, it kind of makes sense that the most common stay cheap the longest doesnt it?.

And some of the more common records exist simply in bigger quantities than there are collectors or buyers, so now, with more records than ever in the mix, with everyone who has records probably aware of the market now, this surplus is evident.

I agree that it is a shame if a dj / collector wont play / buy a common record because they cant judge how good music is without being aware of some value / demand rating.

Edited by penny
Social source share

Forget the tempo argument for one moment (I've Terry to convince yet) :wink: ....But your point of loads or records being cheap (and fantastic) is so right and I can't believe anyone thinks otherwise. It ain't even hard work - For example just ask Chris Anderton to send you a sales C.D, and I bet most people would find something fantastic on there very affordable - I also like the 'tease' if it's just a clip of a record 'cos that can catch you out :D 

You mentioned Latin (referring to people playing 'thinking man's tunes') So here's another example. Just see this as a 'piece of music' not heard out (much?) rather than your opinion on whether it should get played. I haven't a clue on value for this one mind - it's not and shouldn't be important (As you pointed out)

All the best,

Len :thumbsup: 

'Ray Terrace - Listen To Me'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfwiNXSGIeQ

Love that version Len, new to me, still, The Esquires is to me the better version, but thanks for posting, fantastic record

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!