Has The Bottom Fallen Out Of Cheaper Record Sales?

But if its cheap as chips why would you be willing to let someone kill you before parting with it ?

You could share the love ,give it to em for free and just buy a new one :)

I could find you a 100 cheap records that sound great and are easy to find ,but the buzz for me is hearing a record for the first time on a usa radio show ,that you know nothing about but love the sound ,then set away trying to find info on it and notbing shows up ?

It turns out to be very rare and probably very hard to find ,but you refuse to give up the search .

Sometimes it takes a yr or more ,in fact I've got wants in my book that are not on playlists ,are not expensive in demand ,but they just never turn up ,but now and then you get a lucky break and the elusive record turns up .

Then there's the final obstacle ,the price ,which forces you to sell a few things cos your not gonna fall at the final hurdle :(

That for me is what gives me my buzz !

A perfect example is The United sounds on united ,Jason Perlmutter played it on his Carolina radio show a few yr back ,but until then I never knew it ,but it was a WOW moment ,so I started my search .

The fact that Jason's copy was like a frying pan gave the clue that this is gonna be a hard one :(

Then somebody who had also heard the show decided to rip the song from the free to download show.

He put it on YouTube and posted it on a forum on Facebook ,which then alerted more people and also the revelation that Butch was already playing it as a C/U ,which kinda spoiled that for him ,but then when the first copy to ever surface on eBay showed up ...a lot of people were on to it ,so consequently it went high .

Now begs the question ,if when I started my search I genuinely never knew Butch had it ,but if I'd won it for over $3k ,does that make me a hot boxer by the definition of Jocks interpretation ?

I've got records now that are pretty much unknown ,but are not my discovery ,but things I've heard on YouTube or again a radio show .

I've had things and played things that were relatively unknown ,things that didn't get a big reaction ,but then I've seen them on big name DJ's plays and they've been applauded for playing said record .

At the end of the day ,I do what I do because I enjoy what I do ,I am not hurting anyone ,but if anyone wants to Pre judge me and think I'm something they want to be (in their head) ,then that's their problem .

Snidey comments and jibes won't ever stop me doing what I do and nobody can tell me what I can and can't buy with my money .

That day will come when I lose interest ,but at the moment things are good in my world ,so for me ,the crucial point is ,if you don't enjoy what your doing ,your in it for the wrong reason and need to find another hobby :)

P.s, if s

I could write a few more pages ,but I've got records to find :)

Hi Nev

What I meant to say was if anybody were trying to take it from me :yes: Understand what you are saying about the search for records, i have done plenty of that and have had to wait. I spend loads of time on looking on American collectors channels, (and a couple of great English collectors) to listen for new stuff. None of it is big ticket stuff to be played at venues, that does nothing for me these days, just stuff I hear and think, "I must have that record" not to impress anybody but myself and a lot of them have cost me a few bob, you are right, you enjoy what you are doing, so no need to change for anyone, totally agree :thumbsup:

Regards

Kev

Social source share

Yes the bottom end of the market is quite, however, I sell loads and loads of cheapies, especially on Discogs - different type of punter maybe?  I can sell a blue Ric Tic for £4 on there...

The good thing is though ,for people like yourself ,if you have the stock already ,the market for cheap recordsis actually better now for the UK sseller ,due to the postal costs from overseas .

Personally for me, as a full time Brickie,I can not entertain cheap records .

Packaging em and trips to postie is just too time consuming for little gain .

Ultimately that leaves me with two options ,keep em or sell em as a bargain box :)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Love that version Len, new to me, still, The Esquires is to me the better version, but thanks for posting, fantastic record

....and because the said record hasn't been slated, I will now share with you that my friend Rob Holmes introduced me to it, only a couple of weeks ago (credit where credit's due an' all that).....God it's tough on here sometimes - Do you know what? Although I had chosen not to put Robs name to it at first (to protect him from any flak that may come from anyone) I even worried that I was taking credit for someone else's thinking!.....Take the p*ss (of course!), but respect each others tastes, is the message here I think.........Yes, even Bazza's! :D

All the best,

Len :thumbsup: 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

....and because the said record hasn't been slated, I will now share with you that my friend Rob Holmes introduced me to it, only a couple of weeks ago (credit where credit's due an' all that).....God it's tough on here sometimes - Do you know what? Although I had chosen not to put Robs name to it at first (to protect him from any flak that may come from anyone) I even worried that I was taking credit for someone else's thinking!.....Take the p*ss (of course!), but respect each others tastes, is the message here I think.........Yes, even Bazza's! :D

All the best,

No probs Len, fantastic version, deserves to be shared, thanks for that

Kev

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I'm really lazy now ref collecting (except I'm still searching stuff from tapes I've had years, once I've finally find out what they're called!) I normally just 'e' mail a record earlier if I have a want - So wrong I know! But it stops me buying that record that sounded one way at the nighter, only for it to be a completely different record once it's home! :D

All the best,

Edited by LEN
Social source share

Really good thread, was thinking of raising the question myself. So we`ve been told that these records are rare soul records, can someone explain to me what the word rare means, because I fail to see how records that turn up on lists e-bay etc every week, and have done for the past how many years are considered rare!!! A bloke who I know has no idea about rare records and has been on the scene 5 minutes and has spent over £40, 000 on records. Ok so he`s obviously far too much money, but he`s put a collection together in less than two years. Whereas others have spent a lifetime putting together collections. So these so called rare soul records are available. I believe there is a handful of rare records that are out of the reach of most of us but the rest is readily available, usually at the mere click of a button, if you have the funds. IF I SEE ANOTHER JACKIE WILSON-BECAUSE OF YOU priced at £100 I`m gonna scream!!!!   :thumbup:  :yes:

Not really a collector anymore but I sold "Because of you" on ebay a couple of years ago and got £75! I was amazed as it was always a 50p sound that seemed to be stuck in the back of everyones box to maybe buy a pack of fags if it sold. Surely not rare.

Sounds like a good time to be buying, ready for the rush when all the hype starts over the film!

Social source share

We do like our different versions.!!! White soul or white pop.???

I like it because it's a 'different version' :D ....I have about 5 versions of 'The Sweetest Feeling' - Earthquake being 'by far' the worse one :D 

I bet there's a thread about different versions of records - If not, there should be, it would be a giggle (along with the arguing) :wink:

All the best,

Edited by LEN
Social source share

I thought I'd take a look at my last few purchases and see what they cost :

$   7.99  label  Dynamo

$ 25.50  label  Gay-Shel

$ 12.50  label  Trump

$ 400.00 label Contact

$ 22.50  label  Star

$ 15.50  label  USA

$ 17.50  label  Giant

$   8.00  label  South Richmond

$ 17.50  label  Zephr

$   8.00  label  M Records

$ 19.50  label  Boo Ga Loo

Not sure how representative I am, but I probably buy between 8 to 10 cheapies to 1  "bigger" tune, liking to hear some new things, dependent on finances.    Ideally they are ones with sound files, as I buy cold far less than I used to.

Cheap sales from the USA have gone down with the increased postage costs I would say, people I speak to trying to buy more from 1 seller to get better rates.  This should help UK dealers, traders and sellers.

Maybe the bottom has fallen out for more regular cheapies, but there are still loads of unusual ones out there to keep me entertained.

Social source share

The sooner the arse drops out of the scene and those who collect for some sort of status symbol and to DJ at their own venue and their mates venue bugger off, and it all goes back underground and it is about the music and the quality, not the price the better.

Too much collecting emphasis is put on what the current biggie is and then they all must have a copy. Many biggies start out as cheapies, use some imagination and dig out tomorrows biggie now, not when it becomes an expensive cheapie.

On the very first page of this thread I said "not enough thinking mans record collectors" around anymore, which you have duly described above, and I stick by it, it doesn,t say much for someone who claims to be a soul fan when they need to base their buying on the so called "biggies" no vision, taste or initiative displayed there for me

Kev

• Helpful 2
Social source share

On the very first page of this thread I said "not enough thinking mans record collectors" around anymore, which you have duly described above, and I stick by it, it doesn,t say much for someone who claims to be a soul fan when they need to base their buying on the so called "biggies" no vision, taste or initiative displayed there for me

Kev

Hi Kev,

So if you love a record, its in your top ten of all time, you won't purchase because its termed a "biggie" by others..... ? That doesn't make sense to me, it means your driven by someone else's terminology......

Its not a term I particularly like, but its used a great deal for high value 45s.......that are popular and highly sought after.

I don't think someone who buys bigger tunes can't also be a soul fan - I have some friends who are lucky enough to purchase "biggies" and they are imho still soul fans.   Just ones with deeper pockets than me (and good luck to them).

The key for me and I think you agree, is that people develop their own ear, things they play they love (whatever value)  ; that's what leads to individuals ; different djs with different play boxes......and of course we need Promoters prepared to give them a go and crowds prepared to listen with open ears...........some venues just won't take it, others will ...........

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Hi Kev,

So if you love a record, its in your top ten of all time, you won't purchase because its termed a "biggie" by others..... ? That doesn't make sense to me, it means your driven by someone else's terminology......

Its not a term I particularly like, but its used a great deal for high value 45s.......that are popular and highly sought after.

I don't think someone who buys bigger tunes can't also be a soul fan - I have some friends who are lucky enough to purchase "biggies" and they are imho still soul fans.   Just ones with deeper pockets than me (and good luck to them).

The key for me and I think you agree, is that people develop their own ear, things they play they love (whatever value)  ; that's what leads to individuals ; different djs with different play boxes......and of course we need Promoters prepared to give them a go and crowds prepared to listen with open ears...........some venues just won't take it, others will ...........

Ilove some biggies, in fact down the years I have loved and still do love a lot of harder to locate records, my point being, people who are only turned on because a record is a so called "big ticket" record, read further back, the guy who will ignore a record until some "BIG DJ" gets his hands on it (not his fault) spins it, the price goes up, THEN the cheque book comes out, as stated before, I have some rare records myself that I had to pay a few bob for, but they aren't "big ticket" records that have been established through name DJ,S playing them, they are records I have heard through hours of looking, physically and through media, thought, I must have that record, then through research have found out they are either cheap (yipee) or hard to locate and expensive, then I have to shift stuff to raise the funds. People have their own ear, I respect that, but, sometimes its nothing to do with ear, read Chalky.s last post, its down to a T

Kev

• Helpful 3
Social source share

There's a lot of negativity towards anyone who spends their money on trophy records.

The antithesis to this type of person, is the guy who wouldn't dream of spending more than say £100 on a record, and listens to so many cheap records they kid themselves into believing they are good. Not only that, but they insist on trying to convince everyone else they are good too.

There's far more of the latter than the former, and they are just as bad, if not worse.

There are certain records that if they turn up for sale are sold instantly. Some of these records aren't even that rare, but because they are truly superb tunes there are a hell of a lot of people who want to own them. To me these are the top 500, though I'm not sure there would actually be 500 of that calibre. And that's my point. Chalky and his ilk keep on about all these thousands of unknown cheap 45's just waiting to be played, and there are thousands, but they aren't of a high enough quality to be played out.

You can sit at home and extoll the virtues of these cheap records all you like, but they will never match the brilliance of the trophy records.

Lot's of people have set up events where you can go and bore each other to death in small venues, and that will be the future of the scene, along with the other faction that play the old classics over and over again in the big venues and wear their fancy dress.

Neither does it for me.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

The scene itself created "hot boxing" with it's demand to hear rare or new big sounds. Younger collectors in their 20's who want to DJ and get a name have to hot box, they aren't old enough to have amassed a collection that has become indemand or 45's that have become scarce and with the prices going up they have to sell on to get the current big spins.

Hot Boxing evolved as individuals felt the urge to DJ irrespective of the size and calibre of their collections. Steve Chadwick could lay claims to be the first Hot Boxer... Once upon a time, the credentials for DJing were an eclectic collection of sounds plus the backing of knowledgeable club goers wanting quality sets. Nowadays, anyone with a bucket-list of top tunes, spare cash and the urge to DJ thinks their chance has arrived because they have ticked off Charles Sheffield, Lonnie Lester, Exits, Brice Coefield etc. Perhaps we should consider ourselves fortunate there are young collectors out there competing for the best tunes to play in public as this can only be good for dancers, event goers and the long term existence of the scene itself.
Social source share

I agree, it's not only the trophy tunes that are good. But the other hand most of today's cheapies aren't good either. Why? Because the quality tunes that are around in quantities aren't cheap any more. Records get more and more expensive. Years ago you were able to pick up good records for a fiver or even less. Same records are 15/20 quid now, or even 30. That's not cheap IMO. The vast majority of tunes for a tenner or less are crap.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

You can sit at home and extoll the virtues of these cheap records all you like, but they will never match the brilliance of the trophy records.

Lot's of people have set up events where you can go and bore each other to death in small venues, and that will be the future of the scene, along with the other faction that play the old classics over and over again in the big venues and wear their fancy dress.

Neither does it for me.

Neither do it for me either Phil to be honest.

Social source share

Phil, I have listened to, collected and even danced to the cheapest and the dearest, it is also how i collected and to a lesser extent collect, genuiene rarities to so called cheap as chips. Trophy records are great, i love them don't get me wrong, but there are just as many expensive so called tropy records that dont come close to many a good cheapie in terms of quality, many are just plain crap and only played because they are expensive and rare. Many trophy sets bore me silly as i've heard them a thousand times before, familiarity breads contempt has never been truer.

I didn't say there are thousands of cheap records just waiting to be played out but to say there are none as good as the so called trophy 500 or whatever you want to call it is plain ridiculous. I bet for every expensive record one just as good can be bought cheap. There is too much snobbery on this scene when it comes to records, been said before by a few on this topic alone that price is often put before quality and its never been truer than on today's scene.

Most if they went to John Manships, Andy Dyson's, Tim Brown's or any dealer with a large stock of records wouldn't know half of them.

There's room for cheap and expensive if only DJ's used some imagination like they used to a d stopped playing the same as everyone else. Most daren't use their imagination or show some balls cause they are afraid of not getting a set again. I don't mind anyone playing a set of expensive records, I love them but do they have to be the same set as everyone else, many can't even put a set together. Some of the worst sets I've heard are so called trophy sets where everyone was a 4 figure price but they just didn't flow when put together in a set. Just about all the expensive records have been discovered and in many cases hammered to death, time to look elsewhere IMO.

The likes of Andy dyson and Butch, the top two IMO when it comes to obscurities and rarities aren't afraid to play a cheapie. But then mere mortals hear thatbit is a cheapie and they then have to have the re ord thereby inflating the price. Why can't they do like Andy and Butch and look for those odd cheapies to throw in?

To say that only trophy records are good and they are the only ones that should be palyed is plain ridiculous and out of touch.

I didn't say that there weren't any cheapies that were as good as the trophy records, there are many, but they are well known. What I meant was there aren't any NEW quality cheapies. Playing a set of the same great cheapies is just as bad as playing a set of big ticket items.

I can't remember the last time I heard a record that made me say, "wow, I must have that" either cheap or expensive.

To me that says it's over.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I am clever lol lol as I'm poor so i have to wait to find a bargain. I bought a w king Cole off eBay for £8 inc pnp that would have cost £90 even my reggae dealer would sell that for £50. New collectors Imo have not got a clue about what is a common record or difficult to buy but still cheap. The fun for me is getting my tunes as cheap as possible ;)

Social source share

But a bit of a bizarre point. It's dance music, surely demand for the purpose of djing is more valid than pure collecting - stashing them up in a vault for one person's fullfillment.

Its the djing thats kept the thing going, and Is what will keep it going. When its only collectors left into it, it'll be like doo wop, or latin - part of history not real, exciting life.

So what if something like otis lee, which must exist in the 1000s, will one day return to a realistic value of 50 quid...what should people have done, waited til then to play it?

Prices inflate because of demand, there's demand because theres still trends, theres still trends cos theres just about still a scene...

One day, each record will have a value according to its actual rarity, and all will be collated in a great big book. It'll be a great day for the nerds but dull as fucking ditch watter.

I'm not a great fan of hot boxers, as the desire to be a dj seems to be the primary motivation, but at least they're using and sharing and enjoying the fucking things.

If a collection's worth a tenth of current value in 10 years, what are you going to do, laugh at the owner? tut and  Say 'i told you so'. who'll give a f*ck?

They can chuck the records in a skip once no one's dancing no more. They're like money - get it and enjoy it while you can. too much prudent thinking and you'll end up rich and bored.

And having said all that, i cant honestly think of many good records that have gone down in value too much in the last ten years...everything i want's gone up, seems like.[/quote

I get your point to certain extent but for some they might chuck their collections if the scene didn't have a dance scene with it, but there's plenty of people who will still carry on collecting if the scene drops to low figures etc.I for one has never really stopped collecting even when the scene really shrank in the late 80s I didn't buy as much when marriage and mortgage came along but I've never been bored with it just because there wasn't msny places to go and dance, I know some folks with thousands and I mean thousands of records that still don't go to soul nights but man o man do they love the actual music more than the dance scene, well to me they must do .Yes I like to go to certain venues as there is a lot thst would bore me quickly. I once thought of starting a thread asking the question 'if there was no dance scene would you still collect" to me some djs are collectors that dj some are djs that collect but there is many a collector called armchair charlie's just because they don't go to the'dance'

Atb

Dave L

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Most if they went to John Manships, Andy Dyson's, Tim Brown's or any dealer with a large stock of records wouldn't know half of them.

I agree with this and think it would apply to me, over 10 years of listening intently (nothing to the longer term people)  - so I wouldn't know the majority ; which is why I am always hearing something new even if its at home more than always when out............

Social source share

You maybe right, you maybe wrong - luckily I have my monologues as back up (Mike work is 'necessary' sometimes) :wink:  :rofl: 

All the best,

Len :thumbsup: ('Of 'The Den')..............ahem.........

Edited by LEN
Social source share

A Hypothetical Question

If there was a choice between playing a ‘really good / very expensive / in demand’ record, and an ‘acceptable pretty much unknown’ record — which would be the correct option for a D.J to go with? (Forgetting the ‘depends on the situation’).......We need to be careful not to now attach a stigma to playing the ‘really good / very expensive / in demand records’……

……Or is it already there?.........Funnily enough, just a few weeks ago I was discussing my thoughts with ‘Mr A Record Dealer’, about whether I should play ‘Andy Fisher - My Heart’s Beating Stronger’ (at a venue where it suited) I then went on to explain that it’s a record I have loved for years, and never did I think I would ever own one - but now that I do, I hesitate to play it out in case anyone thinks I’m playing it just because it’s a ‘biggie’…….I then shared, that I mainly play it under a quilt, whilst reading a copy of Tit-Bits - His face was a picture!….“Eargh, I used to love Andy Fisher, now every time I hear it, I’ll think of you and ya Tit-Bits!” :D  

So folks, a warning - Soon you will be ‘so last year’ if you own any ‘really good / very expensive / in demand’ records, so give em to me before it’s too late - and ‘stay cool’ :elvis:   

Moral of the story - If a tune suits you, that’s all that matters, and its best not to give any other factor to much thought……luckily such deep thinking is completely out of Character for me……(Aye Spot :shades:?) :wink:

All the best,

P.s - I did choose to play it in the end, and read Tit-Bits whilst everyone danced (No one seemed to mind) :D ïŠ

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

You play quality tunes regardless of how much it costs a lot of people don't know hardly any of the expensive records. Keep things fresh and rotate your box and as soon as everyone starts playing a certain tune eg Tangiers drop it and find something different. A good dj can easily do this.

Social source share

...Personally for me, as a full time Brickie,I can not entertain cheap records...

...You can sit at home and extoll the virtues of these cheap records all you like, but they will never match the brilliance of the trophy records...

Each to his own, we're all different, but I must have "cheap taste" because I've been buying soul records for almost 45 years and, without paying big prices, I've had more pleasure from soul music than I could ever describe.

No matter how interesting the rarity / value / demand aspects of records can be, music is for pleasure and that always comes first for me.  If I started rating records on anything other than musical merit I think I'd ask one of my mates to shoot me.

No disrespect whatsoever to anyone who thinks of records as trophies or financial investments but for God's sake don't miss out on the many thousands of wonderful cheaper records that are out there just waiting to find a good home.

Pick one up, give it a hug, buy it and take it home.

:wink:

Paul

Social source share

I'm not saying that Paul. What I'm saying is that the trophy records are high priced because they are fantastic tunes, and there aren't enough of them to go round.

There are a lot of people on this forum who like soul music in all it's guises. I on the other hand am only interested in "northern" soul music. And that's what I'm talking about, music that makes you want to dance.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

All these cheapies that aren't selling, pass them on to me. I couldn't give a flying one about whether a tune's in demand or not. If it's good I'll buy it.

On a side note, my Dad passed away recently.  I've been left a nice five figure sum in his will, I'll be putting aside three or four grand for records and my aim is to get as many as I can for my money,  not four records at a grand each or ten at £400........

Dear Gordy

Please come to my house and buy all of my records

love

Pete

• Helpful 2
Social source share

No disrespect whatsoever to anyone who thinks of records as trophies or financial investments but for God's sake don't miss out on the many thousands of wonderful cheaper records that are out there just waiting to find a good home.

Hi Paul,

The point I would make is that many people do both - buy cheapies AND expensive tunes to the limit of their budget. Doesn't have to be one or the other.

Cheers

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Hot-boxing is okay if you are playing an hour here and there up and down the country - you can't do it if you are playing six hours solid regularly at a local night (av 3 mins a track, 20 records an hour x 6 = 120 records a night) - you need a fairly wide and extensive collection to carry that kind of thing off or else you'd be stale in a few months.

Add in the fact that you should be tailoring your selection on where you are playing, how you feel that week, what time of the year it is, whether you think it's gonna be a humdrum night attendance-wise and need working a bit or whether it's gonna be busy etc etc

Yes, you always need new sounds to keep it fresh but there's that much good, playable stuff out there that won't break the bank it's do-able without moving stuff on (and yes, I understand that hot-boxers are generally scene-led and they are big ticket items but you get my drift I hope!)

Edited by Barry
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Each to his own, we're all different, but I must have "cheap taste" because I've been buying soul records for almost 45 years and, without paying big prices, I've had more pleasure from soul music than I could ever describe.

No matter how interesting the rarity / value / demand aspects of records can be, music is for pleasure and that always comes first for me. If I started rating records on anything other than musical merit I think I'd ask one of my mates to shoot me.

Pick one up, give it a hug, buy it and take it home.

:wink:

Paul

Paul,you've edited a piece of my post and taken it completely out of context.

The headline is about trying to sell cheap records.. that line was from a perspective of me selling records .

I do buy and play cheap records .

P.s

Do you by chance write for a tabloid :)

Social source share

Hi All,

I hope I've got this in the correct forum. Lately I've tried selling off a few of my cheaper records, to fund a couple of more expensive wants, mainly on Ebay, but also on SS and Facebook, as well as carrying a sales box around to just about everywhere I go. Nothing new in this, of course, except that, of late, I'm having very little success, with no sales on SS or Facebook, or from my box. As an experiment recently I posted six records on Ebay, that would normally fetch between £5 and £10 each, with a start price of just 99p. The listing was for ten days. Three of the records attracted no interest at all, while the other three went for just the start price, 99p. Is anyone else suffering from the same problem? Is there just a glut of cheap records about at the moment, or is there really a serious decline in sales generally? I notice many higher priced items seem to be becoming cheaper as time goes by. I've also noticed a number of long-term collectors who are selling up for various reasons. Any comments would be very welcome.

Thanks

John

With the amount of people listing records as "Soul", "R & B" "Northern Soul" when you try and filter you still end up with about 3 - 4000 records to trawl through. A lot of people rank them "Highest First" and that means your 99pence records are way, way down anyones search list. Consider putting one or two hgher priced records for sale together with a message to potential buyers to view your other items. All the data shows that more expensive records are getting even more expensive, my experience has been I've been able to sell at 25 - 30% more than what I paid (recent purchases) a record I bought on Ebay for £140.00 , I sold for over £300, one I bought for £100.00 sold for £150.00 and another I bought for £245.00 sold for £355.00. All indications point to there are less buyers out there more interested in the bigger records. Anyway good luck.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

A lot of people rank them "Highest First" and that means your 99pence records are way, way down anyones search list.

I find that if you are going to find a bargain, it's in the 99pers - anything over that has had some research done on it or before-hand knowledge to price it - so I always start from the bottom up.

Social source share

Hot-boxing is okay if you are playing an hour here and there up and down the country - you can't do it if you are playing six hours solid regularly at a local night (av 3 mins a track, 20 records an hour x 6 = 120 records a night) - you need a fairly wide and extensive collection to carry that kind of thing off or else you'd be stale in a few months.

Add in the fact that you should be tailoring your selection on where you are playing, how you feel that week, what time of the year it is, whether you think it's gonna be a humdrum night attendance-wise and need working a bit or whether it's gonna be busy etc etc

Yes, you always need new sounds to keep it fresh but there's that much good, playable stuff out there that won't break the bank it's do-able without moving stuff on (and yes, I understand that hot-boxers are generally scene-led and they are big ticket items but you get my drift I hope!)

Barry you're making this dj'ing lark seem like a real job.!! :lol:

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!