Future Of Northern Soul

Guest LeedsPal

THE FUTURE

The Europeans have already shown us the way Cool venues, mixed genre of music that attract all ages.

The more progressive U.K. venues have followed this lead trying to find cool venues not big halls or British Legions etc that have never been cool and a playlist to match not all the old classics.

What is not the future is big venues where the DJ's just play the same old beat attracting  punters who think they are back in 1975 etc.

Youngsters lare looking for something different because of the lack of quality in current scenes but they have to feel it is a bit cool like 1960s underground clubs not big halls etc.

Pharell has been a big star for a long time so it can only do good although I would prefer more gritty boll***s to my music.

As for 2013 new releases try this and there's plenty more out at the moment like Al Supersonic and The Teenagers etc.

The old , bald, fat northern traditionalists will recoil in horror at the thought of spending all night in an upmarket big city night club, mirror balls glistening, strobes flashing, smoke machines pouring forth...  surrounded by posses of bright young things like Levanna McLean neatly dressed and dancing and genuinely enjoying real soul music with a Dj playing a balanced mix of classic oldies, new discoveries, 6Ts 7Ts and Modern, a bit of RnB Latin thrown in the mix to original vinyl as well as CDs and even MP3s ... oh perish  the thought  !!!

Edited by sunnysoul
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

THE FUTURE

The Europeans have already shown us the way Cool venues, mixed genre of music that attract all ages.

The more progressive U.K. venues have followed this lead trying to find cool venues not big halls or British Legions etc that have never been cool and a playlist to match not all the old classics.

What is not the future is big venues where the DJ's just play the same old beat attracting  punters who think they are back in 1975 etc.

Youngsters lare looking for something different because of the lack of quality in current scenes but they have to feel it is a bit cool like 1960s underground clubs not big halls etc.

Pharell has been a big star for a long time so it can only do good although I would prefer more gritty boll***s to my music.

As for 2013 new releases try this and there's plenty more out at the moment like Al Supersonic and The Teenagers etc.

https://youtu.be/qE24Uq5RKIE

Actually that's the ghost of Northern Soul past, Clifton Hall, Stafford Sheffield etc etc. Its only since the return of the farting grandfathers in mid 90's its gone to a series of monosyllabic scenes if you really think about it

Some people like Dave Thorley Butch etc have always had the ethos you set out. Just nobody here wants to listen,

• Helpful 3
Social source share

THE FUTURE

I guess it's what defines a successful portion of the soul scene. 750+ people at Stoke listening to classics and all the biggies or about 30 people in Italy

listening to some very rare stuff but not really dancing. You pays your money and takes your choice.

Social source share

I guess it's what defines a successful portion of the soul scene. 750+ people at Stoke listening to classics and all the biggies or about 30 people in Italy

listening to some very rare stuff but not really dancing. You pays your money and takes your choice.

Glad to see you are back for some more factless posting.

I assume you haven't been to either Bamberg or Hamburg, or Barcelona.

Hope the w ind gets better soon.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Disagree Chris. You'll find full dance floors and an open minded and receptive crowd at many of the bigger Euro venues. They don't need to have heard the record 100 times to have a dance to it. Instead of "play something we know mate" the DJ is more likely to get "What's this record please?" it's just so refreshing. Not everything works mind, and any DJ can "thin the floor" with something that's new and doesn't really work, but you never see a completely empty dancefloor once the night starts and the doors are open.....

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

OK, let me get this right. You copied the rainbow yeah? :lol:

No comparison Mace. I admit "Prettiest Girls" is cheese, but it's encouraging cheese nonetheless. The song is on the soundtrack to a popular kids film, so the fact that Pharrell Williams even bothered to pay a homage to Curtis and the Impressions for a kid's movie is encouraging. Much better than most of the other new releases I'm listening to for sure. I take my hat off to him. He's a serious guy. No slouch by any stretch. He's doing exactly the right thing and it's working for me....

Ian D :D

Rainbow....what rainbow....?

Just thought they sounded similar Ian, though if I'm honest I thought my choice just edged it !

;o)

Social source share

Disagree Chris. You'll find full dance floors and an open minded and receptive crowd at many of the bigger Euro venues. They don't need to have heard the record 100 times to have a dance to it. Instead of "play something we know mate" the DJ is more likely to get "What's this record please?" it's just so refreshing. Not everything works mind, and any DJ can "thin the floor" with something that's new and doesn't really work, but you never see a completely empty dancefloor once the night starts and the doors are open.....

Been to lots of "Euro" events (I live there) not a lot of dancing and atmosphere. It is however their absolute right to do what they want and play what they want. Talking to one "Euro" DJ who has an eye watering collection, never been to a soul venue up North in his life, never got past the 100 club. It is of course personal taste and it would wrong to come on this forum and tell people they are farts, chin-strokers, etc. oldies venues are still very popular, let's not criticise that, if that's what they want, then why not ?

Social source share

Been to lots of "Euro" events (I live there) not a lot of dancing and atmosphere. It is however their absolute right to do what they want and play what they want. Talking to one "Euro" DJ who has an eye watering collection, never been to a soul venue up North in his life, never got past the 100 club. It is of course personal taste and it would wrong to come on this forum and tell people they are farts, chin-strokers, etc. oldies venues are still very popular, let's not criticise that, if that's what they want, then why not ?

You are obviously going to the wrong venues then Chris. And for the record I haven't commented on oldies venues, just the ridiculous stampede to the dancefloor for a very average pop record while progressive record labels struggle to sell 500 copies of new material with musicians who are cutting it today. You are not a daft man surely you can see the irony?

That said the thread is about the future of northern soul not the current state of northern soul, and if you think that venue attendance will be carried on by an ever ageing demograph then hey ho!

Edited by Steve G
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

You are obviously going to the wrong venues then Chris. And for the record I haven't commented on oldies venues, just the ridiculous stampede to the dancefloor for a very average pop record while progressive record labels struggle to sell 500 copies of new material with musicians who are cutting it today. You are not a daft man surely you can see the irony?

That said the thread is about the future of northern soul not the current state of northern soul, and if you think that venue attendance will be carried on by an ever ageing demograph then hey ho!

Perhaps you could suggest a few "right" venues then ? The future of the NS will be dictated by the current one so it's relevant alright.

Social source share

Perhaps you could suggest a few "right" venues then ? The future of the NS will be dictated by the current one so it's relevant alright.

So you need to clarify whether you are talking about the music genre or "the scene". The music has it's place assured in history now.....no doubt about that it is widely recognised and won't disappear in the same was as say Doo-wop did. The scene is something altogether different. The "big dance hall" type affairs I guess came about in the early 70s and will die a slow death with diminishing numbers of younger members willing to attend and a diminishing number of older attendees able to attend. As others have said younger people tend to like smaller atmospheric clubs. Get with it Baggy! :lol:

Social source share

It depends on what you mean by right. Lifeline in UK and 3 I mentioned in Europe are pretty bang on for forward thinking, the sort of venues people like you would have went when you were young I bet.

However tastes and desires change, hence my 100% spot in comment on mid 90s that seems to have offended your sensitive soul.

Social source share

So you need to clarify whether you are talking about the music genre or "the scene". The music has it's place assured in history now.....no doubt about that it is widely recognised and won't disappear in the same was as say Doo-wop did. The scene is something altogether different. The "big dance hall" type affairs I guess came about in the early 70s and will die a slow death with diminishing numbers of younger members willing to attend and a diminishing number of older attendees able to attend. As others have said younger people tend to like smaller atmospheric clubs. Get with it Baggy! :lol:

Agree.  There is also a limitation on the quantity of quality venues taht are still around.  As more and more Working Mens Clubs, the backbone of the Northern Soul Scene, are closed and demolished then it loses its impetus.  Sterile environments such as Sports Halls do not lend themselves too well to the seedy backdrop of the traditional NS venues. Northern Soul Music has no future because it is a music of the past, the scene itself - different animal.  The original question is does it have a future.  With people infering that we need to listen to the Modern Artists etc then it is obvious what the answer will be, or am I being blinkered ?

It appears, like most things in Britain these days, people are being led by Europe and its influence. Lets try to keep at least one thing British. Northern Soul - Northern England not Northern Europe.

Edited by Tezza
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Actually that's the ghost of Northern Soul past, Clifton Hall, Stafford Sheffield etc etc. Its only since the return of the farting grandfathers in mid 90's its gone to a series of monosyllabic scenes if you really think about it

Some people like Dave Thorley Butch etc have always had the ethos you set out. Just nobody here wants to listen,

If the venues were strong enough they would still survive regardless of the returnees and not all returnees are the same.

Venues have to offer something to attract new audiences not just a closed shop mentality this will involve a mix of lesser played oldies etc.

It has to cater for the dancers and not just people who want to sit about discussing the finer detail.

A mix of tempos not all i00mph or beat ballad and what I would call wallpaper music etc.

If people prefer the 60's and early 70s nothing wrong with that it was such a prolific period,

Edited by bri phill
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

THE FUTURE

like it!!!....got that burnley beat/sound....vocals a little soft but never the less good,good tune for me
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Agree with the above in part.... to many different genres.........sorry ,but "to many cooks,spoil the broth"......you need one genre (whatever you want?) and attract those that like it.....these places that play alsorts never have a vibe........because nothing ever gets going....music is like tools
Social source share

If the venues were strong enough they would still survive regardless of the returnees and not all returnees are the same.

Venues have to offer something to attract new audiences not just a closed shop mentality this will involve a mix of lesser played oldies etc.

It has to cater for the dancers and not just people who want to sit about discussing the finer detail.

A mix of tempos not all i00mph or beat ballad and what I would call wallpaper music etc.

If people prefer the 60's and early 70s nothing wrong with that it was such a prolific period,

Which describes all the venues of the past I describe, other than the limitation by decade, so not sure your point

The returnees and mass influx of ten bob DJ's, myself included to be fair in the DJ bit, killed the progression, or tasteful progression, slowly but painfully apart from the small but beautifully formed resistance that continues now. Although it appears to shrink monthly. Sadly.

Not sure why, that's a more interesting debate, but these venues obviously weren't strong enough for a whole load of reasons, I moved off, but that's all fact often airbrushed out like a vogue front page special.

Anyway too much about the past rather than future, mines is a gin soaked armchair so no idea what is norverns fate. Just a fond memory now.

Social source share

Actually it's a bit unfair 'cos I only posted up the Pharrell Williams/Velvet Hammer basterdised version of "Happy" with the GREAT video of the Northern Soul lass dancing which is now turning into the You Tube hit of the moment and a bit of an internet phenomenon.

But, hey, we're on Soul Source, so here's the OVO version OK?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6Sxv-sUYtM&feature=share

For me, this is EXACTLY everything I look for in a record. Infectious, uptempo, feel-good Soul music. The choir at two minutes, and then three minutes in, just slays me. A great, great record. When I hear new releases as brilliant as this, for me, it's as good as it's ever been. I can't really believe that they're making records like this anymore but I'm sure glad they are.

Ian D  :D

What a fantastic video. It had me smiling from ear to ear on a grey pissing down Friday. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Agree with the above in part.... to many different genres.........sorry ,but "to many cooks,spoil the broth"......you need one genre (whatever you want?) and attract those that like it.....these places that play alsorts never have a vibe........because nothing ever gets going....music is like tools

That's the point though, there is none of this ridiculous "genre tagging" in Europe. Full dancefloor to everything from two-steppers and 80's dancers to funky edge, the odd oldie or two and Butch's hardcore 60s "one offs" and everything in between. The point is the upfront crowd only have two genres Terry - great music and poor music. :lol:

Edited by Steve G
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

That's the point though, there is none of this ridiculous "genre tagging" in Europe. Full dancefloor to everything from two-steppers and 80's dancers to funky edge, the odd oldie or two and Butch's hardcore 60s "one offs" and everything in between. The point is the upfront crowd only have two genres Terry - great music and poor music. :lol:

' Ridiculous "genre tagging" ' - I don't understand what that means.  They just play Music, any Music irrespective of the Genre. So you could get Doo Wop, Rap, Reggae, Swing, Thrash Metal - if there was such a thing as genre tagging.  Not being obtuse, I really don't understand that statement.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

' Ridiculous "genre tagging" ' - I don't understand what that means.  They just play Music, any Music irrespective of the Genre. So you could get Doo Wop, Rap, Reggae, Swing, Thrash Metal - if there was such a thing as genre tagging.  Not being obtuse, I really don't understand that statement.

Easy....it has to be soul and dance music....sorry thought that was obvious......

Social source share

i think he means like the uproar on fb just because sean chapman played a latin track at what some else thought should have been a strictly 'northern' soul allniter...but i might be wrong :huh:

genre tagging lets someone knows what roughly to expect but i dont think it has to be black and white..and i much prefer a night that mixes it up a bit..dont wanna hear strictly northern allnight

Edited by spacehopper
Social source share

Easy....it has to be soul and dance music....sorry thought that was obvious......

It was but isn't that genreising to call them Soul or Dance Music - Pedantic perhaps but ...

Again Soul ? any kind, Dance Music - modern or ANY Dance Music.  It is so hard to not state a genre without being genre specific.

Social source share

Agree.  There is also a limitation on the quantity of quality venues taht are still around.  As more and more Working Mens Clubs, the backbone of the Northern Soul Scene, are closed and demolished then it loses its impetus.  Sterile environments such as Sports Halls do not lend themselves too well to the seedy backdrop of the traditional NS venues. Northern Soul Music has no future because it is a music of the past, the scene itself - different animal.  The original question is does it have a future.  With people infering that we need to listen to the Modern Artists etc then it is obvious what the answer will be, or am I being blinkered ?

It appears, like most things in Britain these days, people are being led by Europe and its influence. Lets try to keep at least one thing British. Northern Soul - Northern England not Northern Europe.

At last, the voice of reason.  :thumbsup:

Social source share

The people who want there to be a future will make it happen no doubt. But the way you describe the European scene has nothing to do with what made me get "into it." You are welcome to the scene if that's the future.

Keep the faith my arse.  :lol:

Totally agree.

Just because it's diverse doesn't make it any better than what we have.  If it's not broken why change it?  Introducing new music styles may bring people into the fold, but it also drives others away...and has done since, what, 1974?

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Then surely - if you don't want to hear Northern all night - don't go to a Northern night!  Because if I went to a Northern night I'd want to hear Northern all night, otherwise I wouldn't have gone!

That's my point Pete - "Northern" - dunno what that means now. Upfront, midtempo, stomping oldies, 60s, 70s, Motown hits, tailor mades, beat ballads, latin - northern soul just doesn't define a genre anymore :no: . It also includes everything from Kings Hall to a few local lads in the sports and social playing booties....

• Helpful 2
Social source share

The people who want there to be a future will make it happen no doubt. But the way you describe the European scene has nothing to do with what made me get "into it." You are welcome to the scene if that's the future.

Keep the faith my arse.  :lol:

But why would it Quinvy? The European "scene" (if there is such a thing) was in large part kick started by the mod revival late 70s / early 80s and has attracted new blood ever since. It didn't have the heavy baggage of legacy of Twisted Wheel-Torch - Wigan Oldies v Newies etc.

Just people having a great time. It can be done y'know :lol:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

That's my point Pete - "Northern" - dunno what that means now. Upfront, midtempo, stomping oldies, 60s, 70s, Motown hits, tailor mades, beat ballads, latin - northern soul just doesn't define a genre anymore :no: . It also includes everything from Kings Hall to a few local lads in the sports and social playing booties....

Well my honest reply to that is - if you asked me what do I expect to hear at a Northern night, or what would I hope to hear at a Northern night, it would be 95% uptempo 60's dancers with the rest being Cleethorpes type 70's played circa 75-77.  I don't want to hear latin, soulful house, 50's rock & roll - just the real stuff that got me into it in the first place.

Please everyone this is just my opinion after 39 years of being into it.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

But why would it Quinvy? The European "scene" (if there is such a thing) was in large part kick started by the mod revival late 70s / early 80s and has attracted new blood ever since. It didn't have the heavy baggage of legacy of Twisted Wheel-Torch - Wigan Oldies v Newies etc.

Just people having a great time. It can be done y'know :lol:

This is Northern Soul - you're not suppose to be having a good time !!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Then surely - if you don't want to hear Northern all night - don't go to a Northern night!  Because if I went to a Northern night I'd want to hear Northern all night, otherwise I wouldn't have gone!

well i do go out almost every weekend and i cant remember the last time i heard strictly northern all night,always a bit of soulful rnb not 50s rock n roll or a bit of funky edged not outright deep funk or a bit of latin..dont want no soulful house although there is often modern soul thrown in..which i dont like..doesnt make me stay in,i just go look at the sales boxes..im having a great time :)

Social source share

well i do go out almost every weekend and i cant remember the last time i heard strictly northern all night,always a bit of soulful rnb not 50s rock n roll or a bit of funky edged not outright deep funk or a bit of latin..dont want no soulful house although there is often modern soul thrown in..which i dont like..doesnt make me stay in,i just go look at the sales boxes..im having a great time :)

That's great, but when you're old like me you have to be certain what's what.

Actually this is all b*llocks - last time I went to Stoke, it was 100% 60's and I was so bored I left before 2am.  Meaning that without drink or drugs, it's just lost it's appeal for me.  Would rather stay in and enjoy being with the kids, watching the football etc.  But I did do my time...

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Agree. There is also a limitation on the quantity of quality venues taht are still around. As more and more Working Mens Clubs, the backbone of the Northern Soul Scene, are closed and demolished then it loses its impetus. Sterile environments such as Sports Halls do not lend themselves too well to the seedy backdrop of the traditional NS venues. Northern Soul Music has no future because it is a music of the past, the scene itself - different animal. The original question is does it have a future. With people infering that we need to listen to the Modern Artists etc then it is obvious what the answer will be, or am I being blinkered ?

Most working mens clubs are not quality venues, they are sh*t holes. With upholstery 40/50 years old, torn and riddled with fleas. They might have been ok years ago but times change and people want a decent venue to spend their nights out. The only reason working mens clubs are used is because so called promoters putting on an event so they can Dj and get it for free. Promoters should invest in a venue and invest in their customers, not take them for granted. Edited by chalky
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

F**k me, how did I miss this. Inspirational. Lets hoist up Adrian's wall higher, kick Croasdell in the cockneys, set a burning wall at Watford and if any of those Amercian Negros come to claim our music, lynch them!

Statement of the year on here, where do I sign up to the BN(NS)P march to freedom, I assume the insignia will be decks with signs no Southerners, No Europeans, No Dogs. Not quite as catchy but the best I can do.

And as I hear the strains of AWB starting their biggest hit (neither Northern English or Northern Soul) I was and have made no comment on the Future, I was merely commenting on the misrepresentation of my experience of Northern Soul, which you are allowed not to like but you cannot change.

So put away your whitewash brush, toys back from the edge, and have a think about what you are saying.

Can I ask, do you actually go to allnighters?  

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Steve, You are seeing things through those rose coloured glasses again.......

There might not be 'Genre tagging' in Europe (Funny that I actually thought we were in Europe!), but there aren't full dancefloors all the time either.

I've been to well over 40 events in half a dozen different countries, and your claim above is about as legitimate as saying there are loads of fresh new '60s sounds breaking big in the UK.

There are some venues that play "everything from two-steppers and 80's dancers to funky edge, the odd oldie or two and Butch's hardcore 60s "one offs" and everything in between", but the majority don't, and never have, and certainly not in the same room, and never will !

• Helpful 1
Social source share

F**k me, how did I miss this. Inspirational. Lets hoist up Adrian's wall higher, kick Croasdell in the cockneys, set a burning wall at Watford and if any of those Amercian Negros come to claim our music, lynch them!

Statement of the year on here, where do I sign up to the BN(NS)P march to freedom, I assume the insignia will be decks with signs no Southerners, No Europeans, No Dogs. Not quite as catchy but the best I can do.

And as I hear the strains of AWB starting their biggest hit (neither Northern English or Northern Soul) I was and have made no comment on the Future, I was merely commenting on the misrepresentation of my experience of Northern Soul, which you are allowed not to like but you cannot change.

So put away your whitewash brush, toys back from the edge, and have a think about what you are saying.

Can I ask, do you actually go to allnighters?  

Way to keep things in context dude.  Nothing worse than a wounded Tiger.

I always think about what I am saying and if you do not agree with what I am saying that is you perogative.  I do try to stay away from insulting people, ranting and using abusive language though.

What's an Allnighter ?

Edited by Tezza
Social source share

There are some venues that play "everything from two-steppers and 80's dancers to funky edge, the odd oldie or two and Butch's hardcore 60s "one offs" and everything in between", but the majority don't, and never have, and certainly not in the same room, and never will !

Thank God for that.  :D
Edited by Quinvy
Social source share

Most working mens clubs are not quality venues, they are sh*t holes. With upholstery 40/50 years old, torn and riddled with fleas. They might have been ok years ago but times change and people want a decent venue to spend their nights out. The only reason working mens clubs are used is because so called promoters putting on an event so they can Dj and get it for free. Promoters should invest in a venue and invest in their customers, not take them for granted.

That is true Chalky, but they were out sh*tholes Ha ha !

Social source share

Guest Polyvelts

F**k me, how did I miss this. Inspirational. Lets hoist up Adrian's wall higher, kick Croasdell in the cockneys, set a burning wall at Watford and if any of those Amercian Negros come to claim our music, lynch them!Statement of the year on here, where do I sign up to the BN(NS)P march to freedom, I assume the insignia will be decks with signs no Southerners, No Europeans, No Dogs. Not quite as catchy but the best I can do.And as I hear the strains of AWB starting their biggest hit (neither Northern English or Northern Soul) I was and have made no comment on the Future, I was merely commenting on the misrepresentation of my experience of Northern Soul, which you are allowed not to like but you cannot change.So put away your whitewash brush, toys back from the edge, and have a think about what you are saying.Can I ask, do you actually go to allnighters?

Hilarious !

Adrian's wall is genius ! Perhaps Oxford st could get cold war West Berlin status - soul fans airlifted in to oxford st !

Checkpoint Charlie/Billie !!

Hold on! It's been infiltrated by tunnelling maslin/money/butch funky europhiles ! Vote NO to the evil funky euro !

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!