Chuck Wood - 7 Days Too Long - Artist / Recording Info Please?

Guest eddiep

So there I was....

thinking about some of the oldies that blew me away some 30 years or so ago...

One that still stands out in my memories was Chuck Wood - 7 Days Too Long. Blew me away way back then and still does today.

One of the few "oldies" that still ignite that adrenerline in me everytime I hear it.

The thumping piano, burping sax, manic rhythm section and of course, Chuck's vocals!

To me a storming piece of what I define as real bonafide "Northern Soul".

But....I know very little about Chuck (heard somewhere he was a D.J. on US radio. A film actor even!?) or any background info on the recording - studio, musicians etc. where this was cut.

I've not had chance to dig any deeper just yet but I'd thought I'd start here at the centre of the Northern and Rare Soul scene on the web first. :D

Any help guys to fill in the info much appreciated....please......  :thumbsup:

Cheers

Eddie :hatsoff2:

Edited by eddiep
Social source share

and this , which is similar to Grants :thumbsup:

https://estivator.blogspot.co.uk/2010/01/seven-days-too-long-chuck-wood-1967.html

Swifty

Thanks guys. Still quite vague... :g: 

Any more artist/ recording info anyone???

Cheers

Eddie

Social source share

Strong school of thought around the idea that Chuck Wood is actually JR Bailey.

:wink:

Sean

In answer to Sean and Dave.......My radio pal Bobby Jay was a very close friend of JR Bailey. He was the one who told me it was JR on the Chuck Wood track. In fact he went further by suggesting JR and Vernon Harrell often moonlighted on a variety of 60's Soul cuts whenever the record company were not keen on the 'chosen vocalist'. Of course that opens a whole new debate based on those assumptions ie Al Wilson-Help Me, Rubin -You've Been Away.  :D

• Helpful 3
Social source share

In answer to Sean and Dave.......My radio pal Bobby Jay was a very close friend of JR Bailey. He was the one who told me it was JR on the Chuck Wood track. In fact he went further by suggesting JR and Vernon Harrell often moonlighted on a variety of 60's Soul cuts whenever the record company were not keen on the 'chosen vocalist'. Of course that opens a whole new debate based on those assumptions ie Al Wilson-Help Me, Rubin -You've Been Away.  :D

Okay I hadn't seen this, so looks like proof, although I am surprised by voice. He couldn't have got confused between Harrell and him on this, Harrell has a stronger voice (well on the one record) but still wouldn't have said it was  that shouty sound Chuck uses,

Oh well, shows what I know!

Social source share

Hi Kev,

Sorry Pal, I should have remembered it was Bobby Jay's info.  Those fantastic trips were sometimes info overload! Do another........Las Vegas! :thumbsup: 

Regards,

Dave

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Hi Kev,

Sorry Pal, I should have remembered it was Bobby Jay's info.  Those fantastic trips were sometimes info overload! Do another........Las Vegas! :thumbsup: 

Regards,

Dave

I'll never say never, but the acts are dying off plus Richie Rosen will be the only one making any money! Edited by The Golden 101
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Wow!

Great stuff Roger.

Thanks

Peter

Thanks Peter.

I have seen a couple of Original Label variations on Roulette.

There's a nice Light Blue PYE Copy too from Ireland If memory serves.

I'm just sat here wondering why this wonderful record didn't get a Re-release on 45 over the years in the U.S.A.

It obviously did over here.

As Dave has already mentioned, It just continues to blow you away here in 2013 as It did back in the day.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guys....

Thanks for the info so far.

I'm a bit amazed that the concensus of opinion is that Chuck is actually J R Bailey. Even though he is credited as one of the writers of the song.

I don't know all his recordings but his voice seems not as raw on the ones I do know.

Saying that though I only know the less uptempo numbers from the later 60's / early 70's and none were as manic as Seven Days Too Long.

Would anybody have any recording info?

Where this track was recorded, musicians that played on it, who/what was Pop Up Productions???

Thanks in advance guys.

Eddie

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!