Van Mccoy

Davemac3

"Van never married; his songs were his “children.” He was at one time, engaged to marry Kendra Spottswood, the “girl next door” sweetheart, whom he met in 1961 when he first moved to Englewood New Jersey. She loved to sing and was soon harmonizing in the studio with Van and Norman. For the next five years they were inseparable. Van recorded her as Kenny Woods and later as Sandi Sheldon.  They had big fun in the studio turning out singles together with such names as Jack & Jill and The Fantastic Vantastics. Their engagement and music ventures ended when Van delayed wedding plans to take the contract with Columbia Records."

Thought I knew Van's story fairly well , especially his production on Sandi Sheldon's OKEH classic but didn't know that they were a  couple for 5 years and engaged to to be married at one point. The website rather tactfully mentions that the wedding plans were "delayed" although you would think it probably had more to do with the fact that Van came to the realisation in his life that he preferred to bat for the other side , so to speak.

Edited by sunnysoul
Social source share

Man was a genius, and I tell you what, we  have Smooth radio on when we are on nights and they regularly play Gladys Knight "Baby don't change your mind" I still get goosebumps every time its played, the marry up of one of, if not the greatest female artist with Van's incredible soulful strings and things, wow, does it every time for me

Kev

Social source share

"Van never married; his songs were his “children.” He was at one time, engaged to marry Kendra Spottswood, the “girl next door” sweetheart, whom he met in 1961 when he first moved to Englewood New Jersey. She loved to sing and was soon harmonizing in the studio with Van and Norman. For the next five years they were inseparable. Van recorded her as Kenny Woods and later as Sandi Sheldon.  They had big fun in the studio turning out singles together with such names as Jack & Jill and The Fantastic Vantastics. Their engagement and music ventures ended when Van delayed wedding plans to take the contract with Columbia Records."

Thought I knew Van's story fairly well , especially his production on Sandi Sheldon's OKEH classic but didn't know that they were a  couple for 5 years and engaged to to be married at one point. The website rather tactfully mentions that the wedding plans were "delayed" although you would think it probably had more to do with the fact that Van came to the realisation in his life that he preferred to bat for the other side , so to speak.

What exactly is the point you are trying to make in that last line?......or was it just a joke...Ah ah

I feel that somebody of Van McCoy's "genius" deserves more respect from folk on a site like this & in any case who really cares about his sexuality?

Triode

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

What exactly is the point you are trying to make in that last line?......or was it just a joke...Ah ah

I feel that somebody of Van McCoy's "genius" deserves more respect from folk on a site like this & in any case who really cares about his sexuality?

Triode

Couldn't agree more......

Social source share

Triode

Yes, I agree with you about sexuality not being material . And no , I wasn't trying to be funny or disrespectful to Van McCoy's legacy or memory. I have always been in awe of his work. The main point of my post was in fact the pleasant surprise and irony that he was romantically linked with a northern soul icon such as Sandi Sheldon. I am happy to retract the last section of my post if it has offended but it was never my intention to offend.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!