Film - This The Final Poster ?

Mike

As far as I know Elaine & Co are currently seeking a distributor who'll put the film in cinemas.

I also heard that Steve Coogan plays a small role as a schoolteacher, so don't worry, he's not a northern soul dancer. :lol:

Thats a great shame......got my hopes up there...Steve Googan is a brilliant dancer!!!Must be a different guy .??

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I wasn't expecting a release until after xmas anyway.

I'm sure it will be a good film, I know it features some good music but we shouldn't expect 100% realism.

If it was an accurate historic portrayal they would have had to find actors who look as young and slim and stylish and sexy as we all did in those days.

That would have been a very difficult task.

Probably.

:g: 

You will be pleasantly surprised Paul.....anyway this is all good publicity! :yes:

Social source share

You will be pleasantly surprised Paul.....anyway this is all good publicity! :yes:

It is Silver Fox and I've no worries about the film being good, as you and I know at the filming they were very hot on making sure it was all as authentic as possible, including removing jewellery and watches etc that weren't of the period from us ageing extras!!

On the subject of good looking sexy originals I find it hard to believe they will find anyone to play your stunning 70's self given that I still have your pic pinned to my wall when you were at Wigan! mmmmmmm, oh hang a sec, too much information  :rofl:

Edited by TheBigO
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

I rest my case! Now we can all marvel at the pure sexual energy that oozes forth from the Silver Fox XX ( I am considering doing life size cut outs for the bedrooms of those interested for that 'he's right here' feeling. Any takers?) :D

I used to have a waist like that  :yes:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I was asking if all the postings on here would manifest the interest with the contributors attending the screenings in their areas.

I have no idea of the content of the film, nor indeed can I be the arbiter of your taste or entertainment threshold.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

No I am going to imagine how it might be, then imagine how it should be, then moan like fu*k on here about something I haven't seen and how I would have done better on something I know nothing about doing.

How else would you watch a film in this modern age

almost as bad as the many "be quiet and wait" posts we been getting every time something gets posted

Social source share

Hi

That's an image which was used on the film's sales agent's website and I'm pretty sure the version on there shouldn't have the 'Googan' typo. It was intended to be thumbnail-sized. I'd be amazed if it was the final poster.

Expect an announcement regarding a release date pretty soon.

The last parts of the process after post-production can be really difficult for independent films, particularly in the current financial climate. Rest assured that the things which have delayed release dates have all been geared toward the film getting the widest possible cinema release on terms which give it a fighting chance at the box office.

The way some people on here talk you'd assume any of this was an easy process. It most assuredly isn't.

I'm sure everyone involved would like to thank everyone for their patience. I'm sure they'd also like to thank Mike and the membership here for keeping the project (in its various forms) in the spotlight. It's been hugely appreciated.

The image was posted via  a comment on an american article on northern soul by some person involved in one of the companies on the flyer

He also posted a link to the non-public trailer and a password to watch it.

All seemed official hence my post asking if  it was the final one

Cheers

mike

Edited by mike
Social source share

almost as bad as the many "be quiet and wait" posts we been getting every time something gets posted

I don't think I have ever told anyone to be quiet and wait, I have probably said be informed and comment, which you might take as the same, I certainly don't. Same as I said when SoulBoy started being commented on and continued until it was obvious they were taking the piss.

Not sure what you are inferring but would prefer if you came out straight with it.

Edited by jocko
Social source share

I don't think I have ever told anyone to be quiet and wait, I have probably said be informed and comment, which you might take as the same, I certainly don't. Same as I said when SoulBoy started being commented on and continued until it was obvious they were taking the piss.

Not sure what you are inferring but would prefer if you came out straight with it.

i don't infer (i think)   :rofl:

i commented as felt your post was doing exactly to the site what you claimed happens on here

as in judgement without reason

get me now?  :thumbsup:

mike

Social source share

i don't infer (i think)   :rofl:

i commented as felt your post was doing exactly to the site what you claimed happens on here

as in judgement without reason

get me now?  :thumbsup:

mike

Okay, fair point on that. I assumed by the word traipsing and the tone it was another its all rubbish, and therefore retorted with sarcasm, as I often do.

Social source share

Okay, fair point on that. I assumed by the word traipsing and the tone it was another its all rubbish, and therefore retorted with sarcasm, as I often do.

no probs

if people step back a bit from perceived ideas (and old school fools words)  am sure they would at least agree partly with me when i say this site is not that bad really

for example I just been reading some of the comments on the films facebook pages

i can't understand why they are pushing out so much effort towards that sort of audience while on here we just get ..well nothing really

and that does annoy me 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

no probs

if people step back a bit from perceived ideas (and old school fools words)  am sure they would at least agree partly with me when i say this site is not that bad really

for example I just been reading some of the comments on the films facebook pages

i can't understand why they are pushing out so much effort towards that sort of audience while on here we just get ..well nothing really

and that does annoy me 

I think a lot of business, companies, even individuals think by going with Facebook, they've left the rest of us behind and don't need to look back.  Look at all the soul groups on facebook, people have left here to join those for whatever reason, but none of them come anywhere near this forum, one reason being the format that facebook is in.  If the people involved in the film think that their target audience is entirely situated on facebook, I think they've made a very big mistake

• Helpful 2
Social source share

no probs

and that does annoy me 

They seem to favour Facebook to the detriment of the official film site for some reason.  Maybe because of all the feedback they get on Facebook?

Social source share

They seem to favour Facebook to the detriment of the official film site for some reason.  Maybe because of all the feedback they get on Facebook?

not working for me, my interest has certainly plummeted with the way things have gone on

It is probably a case of no news until there is something to tell. I would imagine as soon as distibution is sorted we will all know about it.

read there was advance showing of clips in manchester two weeks ago at a film festival

surely that would be something to tell ?

its just the same as other stuff that has never been posted on here

it seems the only time people involved post on here is to reply to posts when something critical is said

Edited by mike
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Thought Ady said the advance showing was for industry types? Not the public, maybe why nothing was said. There is no news on here, the films own website nor FB. I would imagine it is just as frustrating for Elaine and everyone else involved not having the film in cinemas yet.

Social source share

The Manchester thing was a different event where the main focus was the book really rather than the film (although the trailer was shown). It was a weekend long festival on writing about music. 

I thought about mentioning it here but didn't want to be accused of self-promotion. 

Social source share

I was asking if all the postings on here would manifest the interest with the contributors attending the screenings in their areas.

I have no idea of the content of the film, nor indeed can I be the arbiter of your taste or entertainment threshold.

I shall, most certainly, be attending. I am one who delights in all manifestations of the Terpsichorean muse.

Social source share

Are you lot all going to traipse along to your local cinema and watch this film?

Abso - bloody -lutely!!

I'm dragging my daughter a long too, soon as it comes out...(she's 15 and I hope she's not too young to get in?).

Keep seeing the young 'uns out and about and can't wait to see their dancing showcased in the film.

I enjoyed Soul Boy and took it for what it was and will do the same with this one.

Tell you what, why don't you come with us....my treat?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Okay, I think you are taking this wrong, I don't think anyone is getting at the site, and certainly no-one I know thinks that the site is in any way bad, especially compared to other forums. I am only really active on this one now, have recently left a writers one which you would think would be nice and gentile but was just full of personal abuse daily. I never posted on it before the obvious jokes are made. However like all public debating forums, on here there is going to be a feeling that there are some numpty opinions that are expressed, and before the obvious I am self aware enough to realise that on some threads I am the one giving numpty opinions, and I will hold my hand up and say I am not good at ignoring what I consider to be numpty views, to my cost sometimes! I never see that as a negative of the site however, I generally see it as a positive that its allowed to be debated, but generally pulled back if out of hand, as you quite rightly did the other day with me and another numpty.

Just to be clear, I don't have anything to do with the film at all, I am obviously friendly with Elaine and Marco, and have learnt things about it via that friendship, but since I am never sure what is in public arena I don't really say anything with the view that is not my info to share unless its in public debate. So anything I say is my own opinion on things expressed. What I will say at moment, as others have, I am pretty sure that the no news is because there is none, as others have said they are basically full on trying to get a distribution deal that is right for them and the film, and have been for some time now, its been a more lengthy and I believe not an easy or stress free process. The screening Ady talks about was to distributors and a very few people that had in some way contributed to the film.

The other thing to say although it has a number of things live, the website, FB etc, its pretty much a 2 man band at the moment, Elaine and her assistant, a lovely lad but I suspect he has never been near here, and probably has not heard of here, and would probably need some guidance after his first visit :-)) I also suspect Elaine is up to her eyes in the deals and also her day job.

Re FB its an easy hit isn't it and one of the things Elaine talked about early on was trying to reach a young non soul audience, as she was keen it was a film that stood up in its own right, which is where I suspect the FB comes in with a different reach to a wider audience, but a very different audience. Also since her assistant is in his 20's, he probably spends most of his life on there. :-) But as you say its one that has it costs and is a far more unregulated forum than any other I know. I suspect if you look through that there is little comment from anyone connected, last time I looked it was just lots of people screaming for a release date.

I suspect from above and other comments you are feeling people are over defensive of the film, and probably right. I think in my case its partly due to the friendship that makes me maybe more sensitive but its mostly due to the fact its something I believe in, and am excited its happening, and do know just how much time, money and sweat has been put into it. I think its worth debating and correcting what some people seem to think they can write with little evidence and not unusually just personal digs and made up stuff, e.g., it’s a cash in. However personally I don't think my approach is that different to general art debates, (I did defend SoulBoy for quite a while if you remember rightly, and gave Paul S's play the same excited defense, long before I knew Paul), or indeed on the politics one, I find it difficult to ignore people trying to score points to make them look cool. So I do think you are taking this one too personally, I genuinely can say I only debate it on here as places like FB are lost causes for me, whereas on here most people have a general interest, and I know on here its likely never to get too out of hand.

So in danger of being accused of brown nosing, as one my least favourite people did once on here, none of this is aimed at the site, and I don't think anyone in anyway connects any numpties opinions, mines included, with you or the site. Or actually think there are that many numpties allowed to be here, I suspect you could count us on one hand, and I suspect it’s the same people, myself included, that provide annoyance to the general populace, although this subject does seem to attract a greater amount of strange opinion which I have never quite understood. My view is as always that this place has been incredibly supportive of the project, as you were initially with SoulBoy to be fair. Maybe I should have just told our Scally friend to calm down, rather than retorted with sarcasm, I can't promise it will be the last time I do so, but happy to be reprimanded if you think it is too negative, I have generally supported you when you feel the need to regulate, even if I have not 100% agreed, its your site and a good resource and a damned difficult job that a few of us make much more difficult, I genuinely do appreciate that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qLPdI7bZnI

:wink:

Edited by Barry
Social source share

Okay, I think you are taking this wrong, I don't think anyone is getting at the site, and certainly no-one I know thinks that the site is in any way bad, especially compared to other forums. I am only really active on this one now, have recently left a writers one which you would think would be nice and gentile but was just full of personal abuse daily. I never posted on it before the obvious jokes are made. However like all public debating forums, on here there is going to be a feeling that there are some numpty opinions that are expressed, and before the obvious I am self aware enough to realise that on some threads I am the one giving numpty opinions, and I will hold my hand up and say I am not good at ignoring what I consider to be numpty views, to my cost sometimes! I never see that as a negative of the site however, I generally see it as a positive that its allowed to be debated, but generally pulled back if out of hand, as you quite rightly did the other day with me and another numpty.

Just to be clear, I don't have anything to do with the film at all, I am obviously friendly with Elaine and Marco, and have learnt things about it via that friendship, but since I am never sure what is in public arena I don't really say anything with the view that is not my info to share unless its in public debate. So anything I say is my own opinion on things expressed. What I will say at moment, as others have, I am pretty sure that the no news is because there is none, as others have said they are basically full on trying to get a distribution deal that is right for them and the film, and have been for some time now, its been a more lengthy and I believe not an easy or stress free process. The screening Ady talks about was to distributors and a very few people that had in some way contributed to the film.

The other thing to say although it has a number of things live, the website, FB etc, its pretty much a 2 man band at the moment, Elaine and her assistant, a lovely lad but I suspect he has never been near here, and probably has not heard of here, and would probably need some guidance after his first visit :-)) I also suspect Elaine is up to her eyes in the deals and also her day job.

Re FB its an easy hit isn't it and one of the things Elaine talked about early on was trying to reach a young non soul audience, as she was keen it was a film that stood up in its own right, which is where I suspect the FB comes in with a different reach to a wider audience, but a very different audience. Also since her assistant is in his 20's, he probably spends most of his life on there. :-) But as you say its one that has it costs and is a far more unregulated forum than any other I know. I suspect if you look through that there is little comment from anyone connected, last time I looked it was just lots of people screaming for a release date.

I suspect from above and other comments you are feeling people are over defensive of the film, and probably right. I think in my case its partly due to the friendship that makes me maybe more sensitive but its mostly due to the fact its something I believe in, and am excited its happening, and do know just how much time, money and sweat has been put into it. I think its worth debating and correcting what some people seem to think they can write with little evidence and not unusually just personal digs and made up stuff, e.g., it’s a cash in. However personally I don't think my approach is that different to general art debates, (I did defend SoulBoy for quite a while if you remember rightly, and gave Paul S's play the same excited defense, long before I knew Paul), or indeed on the politics one, I find it difficult to ignore people trying to score points to make them look cool. So I do think you are taking this one too personally, I genuinely can say I only debate it on here as places like FB are lost causes for me, whereas on here most people have a general interest, and I know on here its likely never to get too out of hand.

So in danger of being accused of brown nosing, as one my least favourite people did once on here, none of this is aimed at the site, and I don't think anyone in anyway connects any numpties opinions, mines included, with you or the site. Or actually think there are that many numpties allowed to be here, I suspect you could count us on one hand, and I suspect it’s the same people, myself included, that provide annoyance to the general populace, although this subject does seem to attract a greater amount of strange opinion which I have never quite understood. My view is as always that this place has been incredibly supportive of the project, as you were initially with SoulBoy to be fair. Maybe I should have just told our Scally friend to calm down, rather than retorted with sarcasm, I can't promise it will be the last time I do so, but happy to be reprimanded if you think it is too negative, I have generally supported you when you feel the need to regulate, even if I have not 100% agreed, its your site and a good resource and a damned difficult job that a few of us make much more difficult, I genuinely do appreciate that.

I agree with everything Jock says but am too busy to read his soliloquy

Social source share

Thanks for the reply Jock

Yep I do feel there is a element of over defensive in some posts. I can understand why it happens but it does at times cause a negative vibe imo which doesn't do anyone (site, film etc) any favours

You do cover quite a few points and am finding it hard to reply to them in a way that doesn't take this thread off down other roads
So for now will leave my reply as just the brief word above
cheers

mike

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Obviously if you are thinking of Revels or any other treats; go to Home Bargains or Poundland first.....don't get fleeced inside these cinema complexes....they are as bad as motorway services!

:D :D

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

Elaine has posted this on FB.

Hi All, 
Just to say Merry Christmas to everyone from the northern soul the film team. We are definitely going to be having a cinema release in 2014 and should have news for you in January on this page. Thanks to all our supporters and everyone who made this film happen and to all your kind words and offers of help. We looking forward to seeing you all at the 100 club Christmas Party tonight and The Blackpool Winter Gardens on NYE and then the cinema in 2014.
Elaine and the team. xxx

:thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Ok, I wrote a note to self, I tried to resist the temptation, but hey bollox to it....DRUGS, DRUGS, DRUGS were every where, every single person I knew on the scene was involved in some way, whether people like it or not, or whether all these years later they are willing to admit it or not, Amphetamines were the fuel that drove the scene, for years people have tried to pretend they never did it (cos the music was enough lol), it wasnt really that bad (yeah, right !) etc, etc....even RW wrote that they wernt a major part of the WC experience....YES THEY WERE...there, I said it...my book has hopefully arrived today, it has taken about 6 weeks to get to Baghdad, I will read it cover to cover tonight & report back....however, the mere fact that the subject has been broached honestly (?) is a bonus IMHO....

I now await the onslaught of the 'me Mam just packed me sarnies' brigade to once again claim the 'music was enough'....but no matter how many now refuse to recognise the seedier side of the scene, it happened live with it, dont try to cover it up...

Russ

Bang on Russ . Although I was in the minority by not taking drugs I had to accept it was one of two things that kept the whole 60/70's soul scene afloat and allowed the youth to have an outlet from a very mundane , sad life . It does go on about drugs but hayho that was how it was , no two ways about it . As for other comments about the book , well, I for one found it absorbing , it took me back to a place I never thought I could go to again . , todays oldies scene just is so far from the mark . The book did it for me . I may be a little biased towards the book as I know quite a few of the people who have quoted in the book . I can absolutely and totally agree with them as to there life style and adventures  , no bullshit there Tim and Shelley .

The film , well I for one cannot wait ofr it's release . It has to be better than the last dose of bollox that was thrust at us .

Tony

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!