Records No One Will Ever Hear

Pete S

Seeing a copy of Long John Baldry - The Drifter (UA) for sale today, reminded me, 18 months ago I sold the only copy - a one sided Pye acetate - of another version of the song, by Stuart Smith.  It's a good version, not as good as Ray Pollard, obviously, but at least as good as or better than the Don Charles version.  Anyway when I sold it, I told the buyer I wouldn't make any dubs for anyone else, I think I may have recorded three quarters of it on a podcast but never the whole version.  I did a carver for myself.  The thing is, what a shame that a record that could have been enjoyed by an awful lot of people will never be heard.  I could play it out if I dj'd, but I don't.  I wonder how many records there are like this, which nobody will ever get to hear played out, that people don't even know exist...I'd guess at hundreds.

Edited by Pete S
Social source share

• Replies 17
  • Views 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Seeing a copy of Long John Baldry - The Drifter (UA) for sale today, reminded me, 18 months ago I sold the only copy - a one sided Pye acetate - of another version of the song, by Stuart Smith.  It's a good version, not as good as Ray Pollard, obviously, but at least as good as or better than the Don Charles version.  Anyway when I sold it, I told the buyer I wouldn't make any dubs for anyone else, I think I may have recorded three quarters of it on a podcast but never the whole version.  I did a carver for myself.  The thing is, what a shame that a record that could have been enjoyed by an awful lot of people will never be heard.  I could play it out if I dj'd, but I don't.  I wonder how many records there are like this, which nobody will ever get to hear played out, that people don't even know exist...I'd guess at hundreds.

a mucker had another copy of this years ago 

played his copy out a few times 

he got it at  a london record fair in late 90s I think

sure told ya this a few times in past on here  :rofl:  :thumbsup:

Social source share

a mucker had another copy of this years ago 

played his copy out a few times 

he got it at  a london record fair in late 90s I think

sure told ya this a few times in past on here  :rofl:  :thumbsup:

Yep that was the copy Mike.  Didn't know it's been played though. But definitely the same one.

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

To be fare Pete there are so many collectors out there and many have been collecting for years that have acetates ect of PROBABLY unissued things , not just northern but funk ,deep , sweet and ballad a lot of which are probably great records but because of their place in the universe ie collections will never be heard. I know there a couple of thousand acetates in Leiden in the Netherlands , I have about 2 or 3 hundred and I know other collectors that have a hundred or so plus what's lying around with people in the music industry's sheds and attics .If we lived three life times we'll probably never most of them any way. regards Frank Wayne.

Social source share

I have an acetate of Maurice Williams-What Can a Man Do[thanks to Mr M.H.],which i'm pretty sure would be a monster niter sound, if only it was more widely available. It's a crying shame if there are good quality songs out there that most of us will never hear. Is there an acetate sound section here on SS? It'd be great to hear some-including Pete's other version of The Drifter. Carl.

Social source share

I have an acetate of Maurice Williams-What Can a Man Do[thanks to Mr M.H.],which i'm pretty sure would be a monster niter sound, if only it was more widely available. It's a crying shame if there are good quality songs out there that most of us will never hear. Is there an acetate sound section here on SS? It'd be great to hear some-including Pete's other version of The Drifter. Carl.

Guy Hennigan I think used to play that out, its on a Charly LP released after it was played for a while I think,

Social source share

:hatsoff2: Hi All.....With the greatest of respect Pete I heard the record and although it was ok ish, are you telling me that it's a better version of the Drifter as done by Don "50ts throwback" Charles? much rarer I agree, but as I off records go don't let it cloud your judgement,

As to the great record, I parted with my acetate of Long John Baldrey version back in June, which was a bit of a wrench still apart from Ray pollards & Don "I was a teen idol in the 50s & now I can't get a hit with this top song that Ray recorded at Abbey Rd" DEMOS. :shhh: DAVE K 

Social source share

There are loads of brilliant northern acetates that turned up in the eighties and nineties, got a few plays and have disappeared into private collections never to be heard again.

The first time I heard "black wings has my angel" was on an old tape that had Des Parker's name on it. I thought it was sensational so next time I was out I asked Carl Willingham to play it. I couldn't believe that what came out of the speakers was completely different to what I had heard on the tape.

Apparently the one on the tape was an acetate and it was far superior to the released version. Des can't remember anything about it, but Tim Brown said he used to own it, but can't remember who he sold it to.

There was another fantastic acetate on Manship's rarest of the rare section. Can't remember the details now, but after a fair bit of investigating I discovered that it was owned by the legendary collector Dj Honky. I got in touch and asked if he would sell me a cut so that my mate Cliff could play it at Burnley. Unfortunately he declined.

That's just a couple of examples, there's many more. It's a crying shame that they will never be heard out again.

I always think it's a shame that Ady doesn't let a few other Dj's have cuts of his brilliant new finds. Unless you are a regular at the 100 club, most people will never hear them.

What ever happened to the acetates that James Trouble got off Ady? They were all supposed to be coming out on an RCA Cd. Some of those were brilliant, especially the Cavaliers track.

Social source share

There are loads of brilliant northern acetates that turned up in the eighties and nineties, got a few plays and have disappeared into private collections never to be heard again.

The first time I heard "black wings has my angel" was on an old tape that had Des Parker's name on it. I thought it was sensational so next time I was out I asked Carl Willingham to play it. I couldn't believe that what came out of the speakers was completely different to what I had heard on the tape.

Apparently the one on the tape was an acetate and it was far superior to the released version. Des can't remember anything about it, but Tim Brown said he used to own it, but can't remember who he sold it to.

There was another fantastic acetate on Manship's rarest of the rare section. Can't remember the details now, but after a fair bit of investigating I discovered that it was owned by the legendary collector Dj Honky. I got in touch and asked if he would sell me a cut so that my mate Cliff could play it at Burnley. Unfortunately he declined.

That's just a couple of examples, there's many more. It's a crying shame that they will never be heard out again.

I always think it's a shame that Ady doesn't let a few other Dj's have cuts of his brilliant new finds. Unless you are a regular at the 100 club, most people will never hear them.

What ever happened to the acetates that James Trouble got off Ady? They were all supposed to be coming out on an RCA Cd. Some of those were brilliant, especially the Cavaliers track.

Ady often lets other DJs have cuts of his discoveries, it just depends at which point of their discovery he is asked.

For instance he offered up his Voodoo Mademoiselle to several, and they passed.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert