Test You ?

Guest Dave Ward

Guest Dave Ward

Thought about this tonight, at the wrong end of a bottle of wine ! I remember a broadcast on Radio 1 in the Seventies, about Northern Soul, I remember looking forward to it, It was Dave Evison, who was given maybe 20 minutes to describe the NS scene and played 3 records: T D Valentine - Love Trap. Archie Bell and the Drells - Here I Go Again, and the final one...was it Looky Looky by the O'Jays ! Come on ! let's be 'aving you !!!

Social source share

• Replies 6
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I remember a Radio 1 special on NS in 1975, was an hour long and on a sunday afternoon, Love Trap was featured in that as well, did have it on tape, long gone.

I also have loads of recordings of the Mike Raven show on Radio 1 featuring stacks of what became known as Northern Soul.

Also got a Rosko show from 1969 where he plays "Just a little misunderstanding" and says it's the countries hottest disco sound.

Social source share

I remember a Radio 1 special on NS in 1975, was an hour long and on a sunday afternoon, Love Trap was featured in that as well, did have it on tape, long gone.

I have this but I don't know where, I last listened to this on the beach about ten years ago on an old walkman I really enjoyed it, im sure it must have been 76 though as im sure exodus biddu was in there, people were being interviewed and you could hear the sounds in the background, I cant remember who the radio 1 presenter was but I can remember thinking how old fashioned he sounded it was like he was interviewing somebody in the 50s! but looking back it was a great programme I had goosebumps

Edited by ric-tic
Social source share

Emperor Rosko - that's triggered off a memory of a  school dance in 1969 (yeah I know - but we organised them and used to get great soul bands on and play our records in between; they were legendary!)  Hitched afterwards to Tony's cafe on the A1; home in the morning and listening to Rosko; stand out tune from that day was Robert John 'If you don't want my love'  . . . there was a lot of tidying and hoovering done. Can't think where the energy came from!!   :wink:

Edited by kathdj
Social source share

I have this but I don't know where, I last listened to this on the beach about ten years ago on an old walkman I really enjoyed it, im sure it must have been 76 though as im sure exodus biddu was in there, people were being interviewed and you could hear the sounds in the background, I cant remember who the radio 1 presenter was but I can remember thinking how old fashioned he sounded it was like he was interviewing somebody in the 50s! but looking back it was a great programme I had goosebumps

No it was 75 mate, Biddu was 1975 as well.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert