Some One Is Going To Be Dissapointed

Ted Massey

One thing I would say is that the way Discogs lists records is different to other sales sites.

The picture of the 45 is obviously taken from the completed popsike listing of the cracked/chipped 45 last year. That doesn't mean to say that's the copy the seller is offering. If you look up a listing for any relatively common record you'll see one scan covering all the copies for sale, regardless of condition.

Social source share

One thing I would say is that the way Discogs lists records is different to other sales sites.

The picture of the 45 is obviously taken from the completed popsike listing of the cracked/chipped 45 last year. That doesn't mean to say that's the copy the seller is offering. If you look up a listing for any relatively common record you'll see one scan covering all the copies for sale, regardless of condition.

That's right - whoever enters a record onto Discogs as a new listing adds the scan of the label which can come from anywhere. It can be an actual scan of their own copy or they can just pull any image off the internet. Once the record is on Discogs other people can go in and edit the listing ie; add writer credits, change the label scan etc

Social source share

Yes but the label says Detroit Stars or it did earlier, so either he's supply that original copy with the bite out of it along with a M copy of DS reissue boot? that's how I see it.

Cheers Darren

No it doesn't Darren. It says "other versions of this title for sale" and thats where it lists the Detroit Stars one

Social source share

If someone buys it he will probably ' cancel ' the transaction  - Item no longer available is an easy option to use in Discogs compared to Ebay.

Interesting he is located in Italy - one of four countries I refuse to mail to on Ebay due to 'postal ' mishaps on regular basis in that part of the world.

Surely they can't all go missing but over a year had in excess of ten ' not turn up ' hmmmmm :yes:  :sleep3:  :sleep3:

Social source share

Guest julesp1905

There was the famous story of a fella that listed just about every rare Jazz Record on ebay, the fraud totalled $50,000. with stuff like rare northern and some of the top stones rarities, looks like this could be another con merchant

Social source share

If someone buys it he will probably ' cancel ' the transaction  - Item no longer available is an easy option to use in Discogs compared to Ebay.

Interesting he is located in Italy - one of four countries I refuse to mail to on Ebay due to 'postal ' mishaps on regular basis in that part of the world.

Surely they can't all go missing but over a year had in excess of ten ' not turn up ' hmmmmm :yes:  :sleep3:  :sleep3:

Will you please avoid generalisations? There are several honest collectors in Italy, myself included. I have been buying recs on here since 2005 (been on ebay since 2001). Bought several dozens of tunes from 5£ to 1500£, not a single problem, apart from a couple of hassles...

Did you really send 10 records to italy in one year and they all went missing? Will you please specify to whom? As a "member" of a small community, i am sure my other fellow collectors would like to know who claims that parcels were not delievered.

As to this seller, i have just contacted him regarding a record, will see what his reply is and where he is actaully based.

Giulio

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Plenty of US sellers won't post to Italy or France because of the numbers that don't turn up. Pretty sure it has been raised here before and is common knowledge. I've sold a few records to Italy but I do tend to try and find out if people are known to soulies over there before sending, and will only send fully insured.

Social source share

Yes you are right. However, it seems to me that a lot of people tend to generalise. As you say, this thing has been raised before, yet no actual names were named, just the usual "many won't post to Italy". So what? Some sellers on here overgrade records, does this mean that all uk dealers or private sellers overgrade their records? As to the actual post i was commenting, "10+ parcels 'lost' in a year?" Each to their own but if it was me, after the 2nd or 3rd i would make registered delivery mandatory, wouldn't probably wait until 10+ go missing. If 1 single name was named, at least we would know whom not to deal with.

Edited by soulfuljules
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Yes you are right. However, it seems to me that a lot of people tend to generalise. As you say, this thing has been raised before, yet no actual names were named, just the usual "many won't post to Italy". So what? Some sellers on here overgrade records, does this mean that all uk dealers or private sellers overgrade their records? As to the actual post i was commenting, "10+ parcels 'lost' in a year?" Each to their own but if it was me, after the 2nd or 3rd i would make registered delivery mandatory, wouldn't probably wait until 10+ go missing. If 1 single name was named, at least we would know whom not to deal with.

1.After the first .[ missing }. they were all sent internationally signed for to Italy

2. Makes no difference whatsoever in Italy's or other  postal systems  you are not covered immediately it leaves country of origin

3. Why should I name and shame the buyers  ?- they were all blocked from purchasing in future , and otherEbay dealers were informed of their dubious claims.

4, Before people decide to ' like ' the post they should be in possession of the full story.

5. I never generalised just said Italy is not a country I post to did .not call anyone in Italy just the postal service that has an unusual high amount of missing parcels !!!!!

Social source share

1.After the first .[ missing }. they were all sent internationally signed for to Italy

2. Makes no difference whatsoever in Italy's or other  postal systems  you are not covered immediately it leaves country of origin

3. Why should I name and shame the buyers  ?- they were all blocked from purchasing in future , and otherEbay dealers were informed of their dubious claims.

4, Before people decide to ' like ' the post they should be in possession of the full story.

5. I never generalised just said Italy is not a country I post to did .not call anyone in Italy just the postal service that has an unusual high amount of missing parcels !!!!!

yep..i found that out to my cost..and its not just records..

Social source share

One of the main rules in discogs is that you have to have the record in your hand, I think it's supposed to be the scan of that record. I sent a large folder of records I had scanned to someone who works there who also likes to enter in data and he said he couldn't enter them because he wasn't physically holding them. So even if the dude has a copy for sale, I think you're technically not supposed to take the scan from popsike or wherever.

not saying it's a good rule, but apparently it's a big rule there.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!