Smokey Robinson Being Black

Twoshoes

Smokey is one of my favorite writers.  When I first heard this a few years ago, I was blown away.  Smokey is from the 'Northend'.  If you were born between 1940-1960 and lived in Detroit, everyone knows where it is and what Smokey is talking about.  Smokey spoke to a generation of being proud.  We were raised that way because we had to carry the mantle and pass it on to the next generation.  It was expected of us.  We had to be the example. 

What they call Rappin' today, to me does not equate to the Rappin' of my time.  Some call it poetry, OK, but Smokey is Rappin'.  When I heard this, he took me back to 1960 and how the community raised us, and I do mean the community raised us.  Adults that you didn't know, knew you and you wondered how your parents knew what you did before you got home and received whatever punishment that you were going to get. :facepalm:   Timeouts were not popular back in the day.  The only timeout you got was incarceration and our parents did what they had to do so you would not receive the 'timeout' later on.

I am not sure if he wrote it or not, but I am positive that he lived it.  I absolutely love this piece from Smokey.  I have it in my Favorites where it will stay until I RIP.

Lorraine

Hi Lorriane, I only mentioned the poetry bit because that is one of my interests and I found this many years ago whilst searching you tube for poetry videos and it became my introduction to Slam which with the passage of time has become popular over here and spawned another form Flash fiction. Very interesting to read you observation and first hand expereince . I must admit it had never occured to me that he might not have written it, I'll have to research that some more, got to say I would be disappointed if he hadn't ,but it would not be the end of the world it's still a fabulous piece of writing which deserves to be heard by more people,for me it has stood the test of time which all good writing should.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!