Backfield In Motion

night nurse

Crap? Over produced? Pop?

Was a youth club favourite for many and it's a good example of late 60's pop-soul.

It's a great example of a record bridging the gap between the 60's and the 70's. It signals a lot of the studio techniqes and smooth edges that were to come later on. It would drop nicely into any 70's / crossover set and not sound wrong.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Eeeerm... Why is it Pop? Because it sold shedloads? A flawed argument, if I may so so...

Are you answering you're own question?

A catchy tune with repitative vocals,to me is a pop record.

I can understand the youth club angle and feel good factor.

It isn't crap,but can think of so many better tracks to post about.

What's next the Jo Boxers or the Masionettes?

Edited by pogo paul
Social source share

No mate, not really. I was just kind of anticipating that kind of answer, thinking aloud etc...

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I had a dream that one day all good records will be popular...

Black records, white records, fast records, slow records, happy records, sad records, big records, little records.

And we will all be so very happy and content.

Probably.

:g: 

Social source share

Paul, I don't see how you can compare a record produced by Gene Chandler, on a black owned record label, by two bona fide soul singers in the same breath as Jo's Boxers or the Masionettes? You've lost me completely there.

Yes it's catchy, yes it's poppy, but so are a lot of records. Not sure on a forum that regularly features people foaming at the mouth over some truly crap records, there is a quality measure we're supposed to limit our postings too. No one is saying it's a rare soul gem or the best record ever made. Right I'm off to do some research on Paula Parfitt....Essex girl wasn't she? :lol:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Paul, I don't see how you can compare a record produced by Gene Chandler, on a black owned record label, by two bona fide soul singers in the same breath as Jo's Boxers or the Masionettes? You've lost me completely there.

Yes it's catchy, yes it's poppy, but so are a lot of records. Not sure on a forum that regularly features people foaming at the mouth over some truly crap records, there is a quality measure we're supposed to limit our postings too. No one is saying it's a rare soul gem or the best record ever made. Right I'm off to do some research on Paula Parfitt....Essex girl wasn't she? :lol:

Produced by one Des Champ who is the dad of my radio compatriot, Alan Champ. Unfortunately, this is one record I'm not really fond of. I think Alan has some unreleased Paula knocking around but I haven't taken the bait yet....:)

Ian D :)

Social source share

Produced by one Des Champ who is the dad of my radio compatriot, Alan Champ. Unfortunately, this is one record I'm not really fond of. I think Alan has some unreleased Paula knocking around but I haven't taken the bait yet.... :)

We agree :D I was joking Ian...you namedropper!

Social source share

I know mate. It's good that we finally agree on the Paula Parfit record though innit?

What's happening with the book dude?

It's OK as a pop record but nothing special.Still a fascinating story behind it I am sure.

Book: Written, been swamped at work so need to find time to search out a literary agent to get it to a publisher.

Social source share

Book: Written, been swamped at work so need to find time to search out a literary agent to get it to a publisher.

That'll be fun. I could put you in touch with someone who could be worth talking to - one of the good guys who has several brilliant books under his belt and could be good for yours so PM me if you want an introduction..... :wink:

Ian D  :D

Social source share

This is more like it,fantastic soul classic.

"Backfield in motion" always reminds me of "Return to sender" Elvis.

Much rather hear "Harlem Shuffle" Bob & Earl.(good example of sub standard rarity)LOL.

We're all different,be boring if we weren't.

Edited by pogo paul
Social source share

• 4 months later...

I think I've done , thanks to Pikeys Dog :hatsoff2:

post-7993-0-90778600-1384717581-.jpg

Hurrah !

Just found a DEMO It's now the 2nd one that I have ever seen and It's a different Variation to your copy.

BAMBOO_BMB-107-A_DJ.jpgBAMBOO_BMB-107-B_DJ.jpg

Another Red / White

BAMBOO_BMB-106-A_DJ.jpgBAMBOO_BMB-106-B_DJ.jpg

Great thread. Lotsa fun.

OK, now we've finally got "Backfield In Motion" sorted out, does anyone have any views on what the hell THIS means:-

MelampTim.jpg

Sound kinda sinister to me...... :lol:

Ian D :D

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!