Backfield In Motion

night nurse

Guest in town Mikey

The players in the back field can go in motion. Just as long as nobody else on the Offense is also moving. And they have to have stopped moving before anyone else can move. Nobody can be moving when the ball is snapped. (Apart from the centre who is snapping and the Quarterback.

Regularly a running back (In the back field) will line up one side of the Quarterback. And then change to another side. And if he is a 'scat back' or '3rd down back', like the guy some may have seen in todays papers who had a handful of his dreads ripped out (Andre Ellington), he could also move out and line up at Wide Reciever, leaving an empty backfield.

BTW Love the record. Got all the football references. Its about a girl you say?  :D

Edited by in town Mikey
Social source share

Ian it would have been better if girls in vid were in 'motion'then I would go with your theory more lol

Dave L

Yeah, granted some actual motion would have been helpful LOL.... :lol:

I've actually heard it used in ghetto vernacular many times, mostly when describing someone's arse, ie, "Now that's what I call a backfield in motion brutha" etc, etc......

It's cropped up in a few songs since mind, principally in E.U.'s 1989 smash, conveniently named,  "Da Butt" - a song which is pretty much devoted to the wonders of the female gluteus maximus .....

"Notion, put your backfield in motion, 
Hey doin' the butt. 
Hey sexy, sexy 
Ain't nothing wrong, 
if you want to do the butt all night long"

And naturally, rap music clasped the 'backfield in motion' terminology to it's bosom, check out Grandmaster Flash's "Them Jeans"......

"Walkin' through my neighborhood 
Her backfield's in motion 
Clingin' to body smooth as lotion 
Struttin' that stuff so firm and lean"

Pretty standard stuff in the hoods I hang in......... :lol:

Ian D  :D
Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

The players in the back field can go in motion. Just as long as nobody else on the Offense is also moving. And they have to have stopped moving before anyone else can move. Nobody can be moving when the ball is snapped. (Apart from the centre who is snapping and the Quarterback.

Regularly a running back (In the back field) will line up one side of the Quarterback. And then change to another side. And if he is a 'scat back' or '3rd down back', like the guy some may have seen in todays papers who had a handful of his dreads ripped out (Andre Ellington), he could also move out and line up at Wide Reciever, leaving an empty backfield.

BTW Love the record. Got all the football references. Its about a girl you say?  :D

Thank you for clarifying the rules of the game Mikey.....not one of my favourite sports.....but all clear here.

I just get very cross when people make stuff up on the internet to suit their own limited knolwedge. Adding 1 + 1 and making 3. I often think it's better to say nothing than to speculate wildly, cos then the guesswork becomes the "truth".

If the song was really about a girls "butt" it would have been banned from the airwaves in 1969 plain and simple. The Christian white fundamentalists would have had a field day with it (pardon the pun)......But none of that happened....Why? Because it was simply a pretty pop record about a girl's cheating laced with some well placed footballing metaphors. So E.U and The Beastie Boys used the term in the late 80's big fookin' deal, and it doesn't change the fact this is an innocent piece of pop soul.

Edited by Steve G
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Thank you for clarifying the rules of the game Mikey.....not one of my favourite sports.....but all clear here.

I just get very cross when people make stuff up on the internet to suit their own limited knolwedge. Adding 1 + 1 and making 3. I often think it's better to say nothing than to speculate wildly, cos then the guesswork becomes the "truth".

If the song was really about a girls "butt" it would have been banned from the airwaves in 1969 plain and simple. The Christian white fundamentalists would have had a field day with it (pardon the pun)......But none of that happened....Why? Because it was simply a pretty pop record about a girl's cheating laced with some well placed footballing metaphors. So E.U and The Beastie Boys used the term in the late 80's big fookin' deal, and it doesn't change the fact this is an innocent piece of pop soul.

Crazy. The Christian white fundamentalists didn't have much of a problem with Johnnie Taylor's "Who's Making Love", a million-selling U.S. pop hit about adultery from the year before.

Black Music had used innuendo in it's lyrics for the best part of 20 years before "Backfield In Motion", in fact, there was a thread about innuendo on this very forum a while back:-

All songs are open to interpretation obviously and the way I interpreted "Backfield In Motion" was as innuendo when I actually listened to the lyrics properly and I guarantee you that's the way the song would have been interpreted in any black club in the late 60's in my opinion. You'd be nuts to think otherwise with those lyrics seriously. 

Have you ever thought about becoming a white christian fundamentalist Steve? I think you'd make a cracking one mate!  :lol:

Social source share

Crazy. The Christian white fundamentalists didn't have much of a problem with Johnnie Taylor's "Who's Making Love", a million-selling U.S. pop hit about adultery from the year before.

Black Music had used innuendo in it's lyrics for the best part of 20 years before "Backfield In Motion", in fact, there was a thread about innuendo on this very forum a while back:-

All songs are open to interpretation obviously and the way I interpreted "Backfield In Motion" was as innuendo when I actually listened to the lyrics properly and I guarantee you that's the way the song would have been interpreted in any black club in the late 60's in my opinion. You'd be nuts to think otherwise with those lyrics seriously. 

Have you ever thought about becoming a white christian fundamentalist Steve? I think you'd make a cracking one mate!  :lol:

Ian, this once I think you're completely wrong, it's just using football as a metaphor for cheating and nothing else whatsoever, it's all in your mind, man...

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Ian, this once I think you're completely wrong, it's just using football as a metaphor for cheating and nothing else whatsoever, it's all in your mind, man...

So, "I caught you with your backfield in motion" isn't about a girl shaking her ass then?  :g:

And all the other instances quoted above where the lyrics included "backfield in motion' and arses, weren't about arses either and the authors of those songs made exacty the same mistake I did?  :g:

What does "Shake a Tail Feather" mean then? 

OK. I'll have to start re-evaluating my understanding of black lyrics. I'm the type of guy that always thought that Honey Cone's "Whilst You're Out Looking For Sugar" was about a guy who was actively seeking the attractions of another woman, when, in actual fact, he'd merely run out of sugar and had nipped out to try and find some.

Back to the drawing board I guess......

• Helpful 2
Social source share

So, "I caught you with your backfield in motion" isn't about a girl shaking her ass then?  :g:

And all the other instances quoted above where the lyrics included "backfield in motion' and arses, weren't about arses either and the authors of those songs made exacty the same mistake I did?  :g:

OK. I'll have to start re-evaluating my understanding of black lyrics. I'm the type of guy that always thought that Honey Cone's "Whilst You're Out Looking For Sugar" was about a guy who was actively seeking the attractions of another woman, when, in actual fact, he'd merely run out of sugar and had nipped out to try and find some.

The meaning of shake a tail feather is obvious.  You can't compare it to that.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Stop messing abaht Ian. :lol: ."Backfield" is about behind the scenes shenanigans,"Tail Feather" is about ladies dancing in a provocative way,.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

You are talking b*llocks again Ian, plain and simple.

"Shake a tail feather" is quite obvious what it's about and you can see the dance on youtube, as are songs about the "back door man", "Lickin stick", "Honey dripping", "your Lovemaker", "Sixty minute men", "Make it last forever" etc etc.

You mention "While you're out looking for sugar" the lyrics are pretty obvious there too never for one moment thought that it was about anything else, and "Band of Gold" was about a newly weds disappointment in her man's performace. :sleep3:

Some of us do actually listen to the lyrics and 'get' black slang. But with Mel & Tim you are just guessing wildly based on a 1989 reference in a rap song, and I am not buying a word of it.

And I am certainly not "crazy" when it comes to soul music. :D

Edited by pikeys dog
swearing - workplace filters
Social source share

I've worked out the connotations for "shake a tail feather" and "out looking for sugar", but "back to the drawing board" has got me stumped.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I think I've done , thanks to Pikeys Dog :hatsoff2:

Hurrah !

The Billboard review was October 69 and we have a reference to the flip from August 69.

The amazing thing for me is that it was a new release when I first heard and danced to it. I had always assumed it was a classic oldie like 'And Get Away', 'Hooked By Love' or 'You're Ready Now' that we were dancing to at the time. I didn't think any of those records were issued at the time.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

steve is right about the general meaning of the song (it's about a girl cheating) but the double entendre of "back field" meaning the woman's ass still applies. it doesn't mean she's shaking her ass, but he caught her, and her ass, with another dude

Thanks Bob. For a second there I thought I'd tipped the balance into some kind of bizarre mentally twisted perversion mode....... :g:

Glad we clarified that then!  :lol:

Social source share

It's just nice to have an American compratriot confirming what I was trying to say before my right hand got tired...... :)

Ian D :)

And here we go……...History re-writes itself write in front of our very eyes…….Ian here are your previous posts just to remind you what you were saying a couple of days ago…….Glad you have now "got it" See you soon, toddle-pip….. :D

And to think I never even clicked what the lyrics were about until I was out of my teens........

Ian D  :lol:

Actually Dave, I think if you listen to the lyrics properly, the song is actually about a girl's arse. They're merely using the grid-iron and other sporting references as a metaphor to describe the fact that this girl is really exploiting her arse to the detriment and embarrassment of her former boyfriend.....

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

And here we go……...History re-writes itself write in front of our very eyes…….Ian here are your previous posts just to remind you what you were saying a couple of days ago…….Glad you have now "got it" See you soon, toddle-pip….. :D

???????  :g:

Here's what I said: "Actually Dave, I think if you listen to the lyrics properly, the song is actually about a girl's arse. They're merely using the grid-iron and other sporting references as a metaphor to describe the fact that this girl is really exploiting her arse to the detriment and embarrassment of her former boyfriend....."

Here's what you said: "More incorrect information from you Ian. The song is nothing to do with a "girl's arse" as you suggest……another of your loose guesses that's just wrong……"

Here's what Boba said: "steve is right about the general meaning of the song (it's about a girl cheating) but the double entendre of "back field" meaning the woman's ass still applies. it doesn't mean she's shaking her ass, but he caught her, and her ass, with another dude"

That's not re-writing history mate. It's correctly interpreting the double-entendre that was obviously intended in the lyrics. So I'm happy to stick with my view. Arse songs were pretty popular back then too. :lol: 

Ian D :D

Social source share

Great thread. Lotsa fun.

OK, now we've finally got "Backfield In Motion" sorted out, does anyone have any views on what the hell THIS means:-

MelampTim.jpg

Sound kinda sinister to me...... :lol:

Yes but you won't believe it anyway.....To be honest I prefer you on freebasing Ian....it's more fun than your Soul music theories..:D

Social source share

Yes but you won't believe it anyway.....To be honest I prefer you on freebasing Ian....it's more fun than your Soul music theories..:D

Some call 'em theories, some agree Steve. That's the beauty of music 'cos ulimately no one knows but the writer. I think it adds another interesting layer to some songs. I spent quite a while trying to make sense of certain lyrics, especially pre internet. Stuff like "Be's that way sometimes", "You got my nose wide open" etc, etc and some of this stuff goes back to particular regions and specific times which I find interesting. The 'puredee' expression above being a good example. Even the Americans argue about this LOL....

I see we're back in the commuter grind again....

Ian D :)

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

"Interesting" that The Patterson Twins changed the title/lyrics to "I Got Some Problems" on their version of that tune.

Yep. I believe the term 'puredee' was way too regional for most people to understand. I actually had a quick look last night and 'puredee' was obviously a term which passed most people by and plainly still does. Not surprised they substituted it.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!