Are Records Like Buses?

paultp

This is Sod's Law - the glut usually occurs at the end of the month when you're skint or just before Christmas when you're even more skint and not done any shopping... Sods Law applies to different records and particularly to those at the top of your wants list that are three figure records in the price guides.

An even more interesting phenomena is the Cashing In Principle when eBay sellers offer a copy of a record that has just sold for silly money - expect plenty of Lonnie Lesters in the coming weeks following a recent stream of Jack Montgomery on Scepter, and to a lesser extent, Joe Jama, Soul Incorporated, Delites, Constellations, Maurice Williams etc. The frustration here is you by-pass two or three VG copies then settle on a VG+ and a week later, a nice mint copy pops up.

The time to start really worrying will be when the records stop turning up...

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Why is it that I haven't seen a record I want to buy for months and months (other than those in the thousands of pounds bracket) then all of a sudden 4 appear in the space of a couple of days?

My Yorkshire blood has run cold at the thought of buying them all at once! :dash2:

Agree with you there Paul , I'm the same , whenever I have some dosh in my Paypal account after I've sold a few , there never seems to be anything I want at the right price. It's burning a hole in my pocket if you know what I mean. Then when I've spent it a few records I really want come up at a good price !

The whole idea of my paypal account was for buying and selling to get more money to buy as the Mrs. wasn't best pleased when she used to check the Bank account :wicked: , oh the joys of collecting eh?

Cheers

Swifty :thumbsup:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Agree with you there Paul , I'm the same , whenever I have some dosh in my Paypal account after I've sold a few , there never seems to be anything I want at the right price. It's burning a hole in my pocket if you know what I mean. Then when I've spent it a few records I really want come up at a good price !

The whole idea of my paypal account was for buying and selling to get more money to buy as the Mrs. wasn't best pleased when she used to check the Bank account :wicked: , oh the joys of collecting eh?

Cheers

Swifty :thumbsup:

Maybe that's why they called themselves PayPal and blackmail you 4% to keep things under wraps...
Social source share

Easy one, its because the dealers see it up for sale on ebay and when it goes for a high price, they go digging through the store rooms to see if they have one and if they do, it goes on ebay

No, these are set sale at decent prices, I'm just a tightwad :-)

So far I've bought one, one's been sold while I've been umming and aahing and I'm squirming about the other two.

Damn this Yorkshire blood, it runs so cold at the thought of parting with money!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

PTP

Have you thought that maybe if you didn't have so many wants it wouldn't happen so often :D

It happens to me that often I take it as just the norm of collecting & just makes me realise how bad my addiction is :( 

That's all part of the fun innit.........imagine if you had endless funds & you could buy all your wants in one go it'd soon get boring........but what a collection :thumbup:

Cheers

Martyn

• Helpful 1
Social source share

maybe quantity of it has been found. hang about may well go down in price then your tightwad pangs will be satisfied.

always a consideration if you see too many about, sometimes being skint is a blessing in disguise. or at least that's what i tell myself

Social source share

happened to me a few times this year..was after mona lisa -they don't know for a couple of years and nelson sanders-love is here to stay..didn't see them..bought them both a few months back and have seen three of each since...mona lisa was cheaper than mine too

and after seeing none for ages been four harrold jacksons on ebay over the last two weeks too..guess a box has been found and sold at Allentown ?..still a bit to much for me...need a few more out there yet

Social source share

Guest garysoul82

:excl:

Manship's auction brings them out. How many copies of that terrible Cautions record are suddenly up for sale?

I totally agree.how many copies of the cautions have you seen on his auction site this year,How many authenticated copies are of this record.is it the same record being sold over again.would be great to know how rare the record really is.

Social source share

PTP

Have you thought that maybe if you didn't have so many wants it wouldn't happen so often :D

It happens to me that often I take it as just the norm of collecting & just makes me realise how bad my addiction is :( 

That's all part of the fun innit.........imagine if you had endless funds & you could buy all your wants in one go it'd soon get boring........but what a collection :thumbup:

Cheers

Martyn

That is such a valid point, endless funds would take nearly all the fun out of it. I tend not to have wants, I sometimes search things out or wait for something to come up at the right price. But occasionally things come up that i would really like at a price I think is good.

I'd love to have a Walter and the Admerations but I'd never spend that much on a record. It would be so dull to be able to just buy anything you wanted.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

My hands finally reached to the distant depths of my pockets and my record buying bank account is now somewhat lighter. My dinghy will also be somewhat slower next year as I've spent the money that I'd put aside for a new sail. New sails will always be available though :D

3 out of 4 isn't too bad and its my birthday soon. :thumbsup:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!