Free, Reliable Ebay Sniper

Pete S

I've recently stopped using Bidnapper after around 8 years, paying £25 a quarter, because I found a free one that's actually reliable (unlike the one on Goofbay for instance) the only snag with this one is that you do have to keep the program running, it's on your pc/mac not online, but it's bid on everything for me so far with no problems at all.  Anyway if you're interested it's called

JBidwatcher

it's by the people who do JDownloader, which is brilliant for ripping audio and / or visuals from youtube

Social source share

How do you mean?

You get the basic sniper for free but for the extra $6 you get a separate snipe from a different server

ie one is I think in Chicago, the other is in Florida or some such. So if one fails- gets hit by lightning

runs out of ammunition etc the other one does it.

I think the $6 is just so the guy that runs it makes a coupla bucks, as it's a one man show, but that's ok.

Go have a look

https://www.gixen.com/index.php

Social source share

You get the basic sniper for free but for the extra $6 you get a separate snipe from a different server

ie one is I think in Chicago, the other is in Florida or some such. So if one fails- gets hit by lightning

runs out of ammunition etc the other one does it.

I think the $6 is just so the guy that runs it makes a coupla bucks, as it's a one man show, but that's ok.

Go have a look

https://www.gixen.com/index.php

Yeah looks excellent!

Social source share

Mr Smithy, on 13 Nov 2013 - 7:50 PM, said:Mr Smithy, on 13 Nov 2013 - 7:50 PM, said:

Always used Gixen, never let me down.

Free or $6 a year if you want the back up server / bidder as well

Gixen has let me down once on a record I just couldn't miss. I had waited for a very long time for it to come up for sale, and I was willing to pay well over what seemed to be the going rate, so I should have just entered my bid directly through eBay. Gixen had been reliable until that point so I didn't expect anything to happen. Anyways, I wouldn't talk people out of using it, but they have to know that it does fail on rare occasions.  

Edited by Preben
Social source share

Gixen has let me down once on a record I just couldn't miss. I had waited for a very long time for it to come up for sale, and I was willing to pay well over what seemed to be the going rate, so I should have just entered my bid directly through eBay. Gixen had been reliable until that point so I didn't expect anything to happen. Anyways, I wouldn't talk people out of using it, but they have to know that it does fail on rare occasions.  

Sorry to hear that, but like anything else it has to have a off day.

All I can say is never yet , but I'm sure my day may come as it comes to us all

Social source share

Mr Smithy, on 14 Nov 2013 - 03:17 AM, said:

Sorry to hear that, but like anything else it has to have a off day.

All I can say is never yet , but I'm sure my day may come as it comes to us all

You're right. I haven't used Gixen or eBay for a long time now, but when I did, Gixen was very reliable. I would probably still use Gixen if I was active on eBay, but if something important came up, then I would probably look for back up somewhere.

Edited by Preben
Social source share

I suppose if it was a case of hafta hafta have the best method is a always a personal manual job.
This is with the benefit of my super duper 20/20 hindsight powers.
The only problem with that is forgetting or if you do it early getting outbid and getting involved in a bidding war. That's why I use a snipe, that way I put in an amount then forget about it till it's done, for good or ill.

Social source share

• 1 year later...

Are any of the above recomendations still valid?  My boss can't grasp the concept of this and insists on trying to bid in the last few seconds. It'll will need to be free and very simple, something along the lines of a copy & paste

thanks

Never lets me down - Gixen I mean

Social source share

I agree with moxey25

What happens if youve got 15 dumb collectors all bidding on that poor atlantic 45 tvy betty swann hey all want and all use snipe software

Excuse my ignorance but what happens next when auction time ends

Edited by ockers
Social source share

gixen and goofbay have  let me down a number of times. Usually, there is a reason stated why the snipe failed; something like, i didn't satisfy the sellers criteria. Strange, in that the same seller accepted some other bids during the same auction? Goofbay actually apologised after investigating the issue of why a bunch of snipes failed. 

In my experience the failure rate is almost 5%, but recently it is something like 10%

Social source share

gixen and goofbay have  let me down a number of times. Usually, there is a reason stated why the snipe failed; something like, i didn't satisfy the sellers criteria. Strange, in that the same seller accepted some other bids during the same auction? Goofbay actually apologised after investigating the issue of why a bunch of snipes failed. 

In my experience the failure rate is almost 5%, but recently it is something like 10%

Goofbay failed almost every time I used it so I stopped and went to Gixen and I honestly don't think it's failed - apart from me being outbid all the time.  

Social source share

Thanks for you reply Pete. Can you give me a 'Noddy's guide to what you' need to do exactly?

It's just case of signing up, giving the appropriate details and then copying the number of the item you want, paste it in, put how much you want to bid, click the button and then forget about it until you win (or not)

Social source share

waiting till the dying second to put you're bid in setting alarm clock for 4 in morning the great satisfaction when you get the record

And in the last few seconds your computer runs slow and you miss the end of the auction

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!