Mystery Track - Give It A Listen

For a bit of fun - what do you think of this? Anybody out there identify this 45? (I remembered that I included this track on a CD I mailed out to several people last year so those that have got this CD are barred from entering - laughs!)

Its dead slow but very atmospheric, think early/mid 60s New York beat ballads ala Ray Pollard, Chuck Jackson, Lou Johnson etc (well maybe sort of). The plot thickens because the singer shares the same name as another famous soul star, whether its the same bloke I'm not so sure? Plus its on a known label however when I checked the label listing a different release was asigned to this number. How bizarre. Not seen another copy on my travels but I aint pestered dealers for it either. Must be pretty obscure but as to rarity who knows? Label scan not included obviously hehehe. Its all good fun, derek

Grass.mp3

And no it's not for sale and I haven't got a few spares tucked away either just in case you were thinking......

Social source share

• Replies 17
  • Views 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I got a clue Dan.

Think back to the CD swap that you coordinated in June last year. Dig out Derek's CD and listen to track 1

Any closer now? :D

Godz

bloody hell godz i can't remember what i listened to yesterday never mind last year (i'm fine with 20 years ago, weirdly) :D:(

thought it sounded familiar though thumbsup.gif

Social source share

To be fair, Dan, I only remembered because I pulled out a bunch of those CDs from the swap around two weeks ago. You and Derek both put William Hunt - Would You Beleive on the swaperoonies and that track has been a firm fave in our house lately. thumbsup.gif

Godz

Social source share

Dunno if as I don't think I was in that swap, not a swap involving Derek :D Do have a cd from Derek somnewhere. Anyway know hwo it isa but I'll not spoil the fun :D

Doer sound like him a bit, not compared vocals yet though. There are a couple anyway of same name I think thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest Bearsoul

Just re-checked Dave Rimmer's site to double check my facts.

The song I posted up is listed there as a 1964 release but under a different artists name. Mmm the plot thickens. Will post up a label scan end of the week.

onwards, derek

It's got that same shuffling beat as some of the early Chuck Jackson...but doesn't sound like him, HOw ya doing Derek i'll be in tommorrow night RE: tunes ! Are you coming to All-Dayer in CHeshire on SAT ??

Chris M :lol:

Social source share

Defo got something, had my foot tapping even though it's a slow, deep track. Not called "Falling, falling star" or "I need you" by any chance :lol:

Very interesting that different release asigned to the number. Does it sound anything like the other soul star he shares the name with. Have you had it a long time? Wonder how you came across it.......

Jerry Jackson??????? :lol:

Karen

Edited by sanquine
Social source share

Defo got something, had my foot tapping even though it's a slow, deep track. Not called "Falling, falling star" or "I need you" by any chance smile.gif

Very interesting that different release asigned to the number. Does it sound anything like the other soul star he shares the name with. Have you had it a long time? Wonder how you came across it.......

Jerry Jackson??????? wink.gif

Karen

:ohmy: Waiting to see if I got either title or artist correct............ :P

Karen

Social source share

Fanfare of trumpets

post-1224-1151257163.jpg On Dave Rimmer's excellent site Lawn 248 is credited to Dick & the Deamonds "Ive got corns/Falling star". The song titles are exactly the same on the Jesse release. Interesting eh?

Which Jesse James it is is anybodies guess...

onwards, derek

I posted up the mystery tune labelled grass.mp3 - am I clever or funny or both (how about neither) the label was Lawn. I can't stop laughing ho ho ho he's such a card that Pearson...

Edited by Derek Pearson
Social source share

Fanfare of trumpets

post-1224-1151257163.jpg On Dave Rimmer's excellent site Lawn 248 is credited to Dick & the Deamonds "Ive got corns/Falling star". The song titles are exactly the same on the Jesse release. Interesting eh?

Which Jesse James it is is anybodies guess...

onwards, derek

I posted up the mystery tune labelled grass.mp3 - am I clever or funny or both (how about neither) the label was Lawn. I can't stop laughing ho ho ho he's such a card that Pearson...

thumbsup.gifshades.gifToo right - very funny and clever defo (great clue) didn't help me though :lol: - noticed "Grass", but was unable to come up with anything on that one. Never guessed "Jesse James" - didn't sound anything like - but as you said Which J J !

Got "Falling Star", right although title wasn't that hard was it.......... :D

How about another.... :lol:

Karen

Edited by sanquine
Social source share

• 2 years later...

At long last I got a copy of this 45 and a demo too!!! did it ever get issued I wonder??

More Fanfare and trumpets.... christ that took a while...this was posted in 06!!

Has anybody in the time since Derek posted this thread heard Dick & The Deamonds disc mentioned earlier, is it the same track???

The plot thickens!!

Mal.C. :rolleyes:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert