Is There A Soul Scene In New Zealand ?

Guest sharmo 1

Guest in town Mikey

Kerry Foster who now lives in London could help you out there Sharmo. Do you know him?

From what Kerry tells me it seems there is a pretty healthy scooter/mod scene that is heavily attatched to Northern Soul music.

Social source share

Small scene here guys. I help do a tri-monthly thing called the NZ Soul All-Dayer. Have a couple of radio shows & several other smaller gigs on the go. Here is the All Dayer website https://www.thenzsoulalldayer.blogspot.co.nz/ we do a Zine to go with it & are also taking the party on the road over the summer. A lot of fun & it's a pretty young crew of us all trying to get things happening right here finally. Because it's a small scene I've found I have to cater for a lot of different soul sounds to get people to come. So there is usually 50s R&B through to present modern soul sounds getting spun. It's the only way to make it work here. We get 300 people to the All Dayers & they are a load of fun.

But yeah any questions or if you find yourself here in Auckland let me know.

Edited by Kris Holmes
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of days ago I received an extremely hateful attacking personal message regarding my initial post (now edited) in this thread. It called into question & put down my love & knowledge of soul music, what our soul alldayer events are trying to achieve & above all my personal character. Contrary to this person's words, I do not have a "personal vendetta" against anyone else, anywhere & my initial post contained absolutely no personal attacks of any kind towards anyone. I know that as a record collector, DJ, musician & soul fan I was not alive when this other person was going to northern soul nights in the UK. I can never attempt to speak on what those days or that scene was like. At only 34 years old I do what I do & know what I know. If the last 15 years of travelling overseas to Paris, the UK, the US & Australia DJing soul music & digging through millions of original 45s, releasing my own 45s & meeting, digging & DJing is still not enough that I am attacked personally & have my credentials & knowledge of the music as well as my fibre as a person run down. I really don't know what else I can say. I am saddened that a tiny throwaway non-personal comment on an internet message board sparked such a personal attack. I am sorry for any offence I caused to anyone. It was not intended.

Social source share

Kris is like the nicest guy and I can't imagine having beef with anyone. Kris, I have no idea why anyone would attack you, I'm guessing they were confused or somehow misreading whatever you wrote from some sort of distorted personal context of their own "scene" or incorrect perspective. Even though he has different tastes than mine I can vouch for Kris as being an open minded and totally nice guy. Even if someone thinks I'm a dick (which I'm sure some people do) I don't see how someone would send a nasty email to you Kris.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

A couple of days ago I received an extremely hateful attacking personal message regarding my initial post (now edited) in this thread. It called into question & put down my love & knowledge of soul music, what our soul alldayer events are trying to achieve & above all my personal character. Contrary to this person's words, I do not have a "personal vendetta" against anyone else, anywhere & my initial post contained absolutely no personal attacks of any kind towards anyone. I know that as a record collector, DJ, musician & soul fan I was not alive when this other person was going to northern soul nights in the UK. I can never attempt to speak on what those days or that scene was like. At only 34 years old I do what I do & know what I know. If the last 15 years of travelling overseas to Paris, the UK, the US & Australia DJing soul music & digging through millions of original 45s, releasing my own 45s & meeting, digging & DJing is still not enough that I am attacked personally & have my credentials & knowledge of the music as well as my fibre as a person run down. I really don't know what else I can say. I am saddened that a tiny throwaway non-personal comment on an internet message board sparked such a personal attack. I am sorry for any offence I caused to anyone. It was not intended.

kris

report the pm and the site can then  look into this matter if feel needed

cheers

mike

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

There are several NZers who come over to DJ at  the Australian nationals every year. Netti Page, Chae and Chrissie to name a few

There is also an annual  New Zealand northern weekender getting established, latest one was 16rd, 17th and 18th August, 4th edition I think

Scene mostly based in Auckland

Ronnie

Edited by cementman
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!