Spencer Wiggins - I'm At The Breaking Point

Autumnstoned

Hi everyone

Is the Kent Select 45 the first vinyl release of this fantastic track and therefore a legit format for an OVO event? I'm unsure and couldn't find a definitive answer using the SS search facility. Don't worry, I won't be DJing at an OVO event near you at any time soon - I'm just curious  :).

Thanks

Mike

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I hope so Mike

I've been playing it out at O.V.O events for a while now :)

it is the first press and as most people will remember the hype and hysteria it caused on here in the run up to the release..

I've still got the original radio clip that Steve Plumb made when he finally got it on the decks in the studio :)

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I hope so Mike

I've been playing it out at O.V.O events for a while now :)

it is the first press and as most people will remember the hype and hysteria it caused on here in the run up to the release..

I've still got the original radio clip that Steve Plumb made when he finally got it on the decks in the studio :)

Didn't Steve give it to Sean Hampsey to break.Play that is.!!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

....and as most people will remember the hype and hysteria it caused on here in the run up to the release..

I remember it well Nev - I was a tad excited  :)

I still stand by all me comments on it though!

x

• Helpful 2
Social source share

That and several other Kent Select releases have been some of the best tenners I've ever spent in terms of soul pleasure per £. Just great.

Agreed. I've got the Spencer Wiggins and William Bollinger which is great too.  I was playing the Spencer Wiggins recently and realised I'd not listened to the flip and was pleasantly surprised to find the superb cover of Make Me Yours making it a double sider.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone who knows Sean will know that this is the BEST post ever on Soul Source  :D  :D  :D

Nice one Kev!

Hahaaaaaa! Yes it probably is Steve, I'll give you that... :D :D :D

The facts are, Tony Rounce, Dean Rudland and Alec Paolo turned up this beauty in Muscle Shoals along with several (actually many) other previously unheard Goldwax gems.

Mr Plumb was sent an advance of this initially and made a huge fuss about it, like you would not believe... and very rightly so! :hatsoff2:

It's one of the best things discovered in the past 20 years (IMO).

And Steve had the honour! :thumbsup:

I was the one riding shotgun on this magnificent discovery and was sent a copy to play up at Just Soul etc. where it was very well received.

This followed the tracks I was sent initially; Willie Walker 'Runaround', William Bollinger 'I Won't Have To Cry No More' and the magnificent 'One More Hurt' from Candi Staton.

The 'Two Willies' 45 came as a result of the heavy, heavy, promotional activity around that time, up at Just Soul and then, some months later, from the eventual release of the CD album 'Steppin' Stone' - a truly wonderful compilation of unreleased goodies.

See the review and grab one while you still can!

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/articles/soul-news/look-whats-just-out-a-stunning-compilati-r2052

Yes, it's over 3 years since these were first broken 'oopt north' and seems like only yesterday.

Very exciting times.

Totally wonderful music.

More please :D

:thumbsup:

Sean

Edited by Sean Hampsey
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Hahaaaaaa! Yes it probably is Steve, I'll give you that... :D :D :D

The facts are, Tony Rounce, Dean Rudland and Alec Paolo turned up this beauty in Muscle Shoals along with several (actually many) other previously unheard Goldwax gems.

Mr Plumb was sent an advance of this initially and made a huge fuss about it, like you would not believe... and very rightly so! :hatsoff2:

It's one of the best things discovered in the past 20 years (IMO).

And Steve had the honour! :thumbsup:

I was the one riding shotgun on this magnificent discovery and was sent a copy to play up at Just Soul etc. where it was very well received.

This followed the tracks I was sent initially; Willie Walker 'Runaround', William Bollinger 'I Won't Have To Cry No More' and the magnificent 'One More Hurt' from Candi Staton.

The 'Two Willies' 45 came as a result of the heavy, heavy, promotional activity around that time, up at Just Soul and then, some months later, from the eventual release of the CD album 'Steppin' Stone' - a truly wonderful compilation of unreleased goodies.

See the review and grab one while you still can!

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/articles/soul-news/look-whats-just-out-a-stunning-compilati-r2052

Yes, it's over 3 years since these were first broken 'oopt north' and seems like only yesterday.

Very exciting times.

Totally wonderful music.

More please :D

:thumbsup:

Sean

Absolutely wonderful music indeed,Sean.

A credit to those involved which leads me to ask.......

Where is Tony Rounce these days?

His absence on here is noteable.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Think Tony R and Ady discovered it…….

I can't claim credit on this apart from spinning it a few times after Sean and Steve had got it off the ground. I was technically running the Fame mission from London which meant letting Tony, Dean and Alec get on with it in Muscle Shoals; they did an incredibly thorough job. I did get the chance to persuade Spencer to sing it and Make Me Yours for us at Cleethorpes so the whole episode was most gratifying (sorry, re-reading Dickens).

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Ady

much as I love taking credit for this, you can actually take a least an equal part on this one.

Alec & Tony copied the tape on my behalf so that we could complete this wonderful compilation.

They copied so many tapes that they kind of missed - or in Tony's case hadn't actually heard - the master when it was being copied.

I was then playing the masters at Ace towers but had walked out the room when this came on, at which point you walked by, grabbed me and said this one is a modern soul winner!

So there you go. 

And of course thanks to Steve and Sean for their support in er... breaking this, as well as anyone who has played it since.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!