Sy Hightower

Guest ruffsounds

Guest ruffsounds

Once again Hayley Records have come up trumps with another major release, this time it's the Sy Hightower double header that was only known to be on a Monarch test press and mega rare.

This is gonna fill the dancefloors check out the clips and limited to only 250 presssy_1.mp3sy_2.mp3

sy 1 is (I Wonder Why) sy 2 is (Go Back Baby) feedback would be nice.

cheers Ruffsounds

Social source share

• Replies 30
  • Views 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest ruffsounds

Hi Sean

I agree 2 top sounds and only a £10 phone or email Rob Moss at Hayley Records.

cheers Ruffsounds

Social source share

Once again Hayley Records have come up trumps with another major release, this time it's the Sy Hightower double header that was only known to be on a Monarch test press and mega rare.

This is gonna fill the dancefloors check out the clips and limited to only 250 press

cheers Ruffsounds

Wow!!!

Waited over 15 years to own this little baby - what a tune whistling.gif

Congrats to Hayley Records on licensing one of the best records never to come out :D

Cheers

Steve Plumb

Social source share

Guest biggray1

Has The first sound file been sped up a little or is it my ears..i have this on Cd taken from the unreleased Lp and my version sounds slower and must say nicer!!anyone else here got this!!I did post my version on here some time back so the sound file is on the site somewhere....Can you helpfind this Mike.. whistling.gif

Social source share

Guest ruffsounds

Hi bigray

As far as i know its exactly the same as whats on the Monarch test pressing no speeding up or slowing down just pure class.

cheers Ruffsounds

Social source share

Once again Hayley Records .... it's the Sy Hightower double header that was only known to be on a Monarch test press and mega rare.This is gonna fill the dancefloors check out the clips and limited to only 250 pressfeedback would be nice.

..Liked 'Sy 1' particularly... whistling.gif

Social source share

Wow...I was telling a mate about this track last week...and i couldn`t find the words to tell him just how good "I wonder why" was.......God, I might actually buy a re-issue.....where do i get it from again?

Chris

Fantastic double sider, get it here: www.hayleyrecords.co.uk

Social source share

Guest ruffsounds

Wow...I was telling a mate about this track last week...and i couldn`t find the words to tell him just how good "I wonder why" was.......God, I might actually buy a re-issue.....where do i get it from again?

Chris

Hi Chris

Its not a reissue this is the first time its been put on vinyl as only other copies were 2 monarch test pressing's and only 250 have been pressed.

cheers Ruffsounds

p.s. they are going fast

Social source share

This is gonna fill the dancefloors check out the clips and limited to only 250 presssy_1.mp3sy_2.mp3

cheers Ruffsounds

very nice . just ordered one. :unsure:
Social source share

Mr Guarnori should be able to help us with this one, seeing as he owns the actual Test pressing.

Over to you Stevie?

It does sound slightly speeded up, but not that much. Copies I have done for family and friends were all at +2 pitch, I would have to dig out the test press to listen carefully as I have myself got used to playing it speeded up a bit.

There are two versions of "I wonder why" on the test press, one with strings, one without.

Did Hayley access this from Sy himself, or from Carmen, and can we expect a Carlietta reissue next?.

:unsure:

Social source share

Guest ruffsounds

It does sound slightly speeded up, but not that much. Copies I have done for family and friends were all at +2 pitch, I would have to dig out the test press to listen carefully as I have myself got used to playing it speeded up a bit.

There are two versions of "I wonder why" on the test press, one with strings, one without.

Did Hayley access this from Sy himself, or from Carmen, and can we expect a Carlietta reissue next?.

:lol:

Hi Steve

Rob Moss of Hayley has been talking to Carmelita & Jerry Pittman over the last few months and he has also tried to find Sy who seems to have gone underground, Rob has found out all about the stuff that the Pittmans produced both on the Carmen label and other stuff even who they have worked with or for.

cheers Ruffsounds

Social source share

Guest ruffsounds

:lol:

Hi Steve

Rob Moss of Hayley has been talking to Carmelita & Jerry Pittman over the last few months finding out about their Carmen Label and other stuff they produced as for Sy nobody seems to know where he is at the moment.

cheers Ruffsounds

Social source share

cheers Ruffsounds

====

hi ralph

nice tunes and very soulfulf but not for me im afraid ill stick to me northern soul :yes:

thanks for putting them up bud

regards

mark

Social source share

Hi Ralph,

Rob played it on the saturday afternoon in the main room at Northampton and it sounded fantastic. I remember it being played at essence some years ago...dont know if that was Steve or Rod tho ?????

It s a lovely track

It s on the comp cd too isnt it?

See you soon

xxxx

Social source share

Guest biggray1
Here you go see what you think
The sound files here are orig recordings..notampering with the speed etc...F..kin awesome.......Amust4anysoulie... :thumbsup:
Social source share

Hi Ralph,

Rob played it on the saturday afternoon in the main room at Northampton and it sounded fantastic. I remember it being played at essence some years ago...dont know if that was Steve or Rod tho ?????

It s a lovely track

It s on the comp cd too isnt it?

See you soon

xxxx

Rod Dearlove played it out first. I purchased it from Rod along with Sam Dees "Funny" a few years back. It was a standard part of Rod's sets in the early / mid 90's. Of course I have dabbled with it myself in more recent times :thumbsup:

Before Rod had it believe Colin Dilnot was the owner and before that Ian Dewhirst I think - though maybe wrong on that last part.

Social source share

Rod Dearlove played it out first. I purchased it from Rod along with Sam Dees "Funny" a few years back. It was a standard part of Rod's sets in the early / mid 90's. Of course I have dabbled with it myself in more recent times :thumbsup:

Before Rod had it believe Colin Dilnot was the owner and before that Ian Dewhirst I think - though maybe wrong on that last part.

Thanks Steve

I wish you dabbled more... I would rather have listened to you at Clegg than watched the football :lol:

I hope to hear you in action soon.

C

x

Institute of advanced record hounds? :shhh:

Do you wear an anorak?

Social source share

The sound files here are orig recordings..notampering with the speed etc...F..kin awesome.......Amust4anysoulie... :thumbsup:

Why would anyone wanna press the wrong speed??

Social source share

Guest For Real

Yup, Sy Hightower is FANTASTIC, I know you're leaving is amazing (actually my favourite) as well.

Does anyone know anything about the other 'private press' album Sy Hightower did and that you occasionally see on Ebay for about a hundred dollars? Be very interested to know what it is like or if anyone has any sound files?

mark

Social source share

Yup, Sy Hightower is FANTASTIC, I know you're leaving is amazing (actually my favourite) as well.

Does anyone know anything about the other 'private press' album Sy Hightower did and that you occasionally see on Ebay for about a hundred dollars? Be very interested to know what it is like or if anyone has any sound files?

mark

I heard it was more disco / late 70's, and not very good. So I never tried to get one. But that was from the same person who told me years ago that "The artistry of Brenda Holloway" album was "not very good", so maybe it's not too bad after all. :ohmy:

Social source share

Thanks Steve

I wish you dabbled more... I would rather have listened to you at Clegg than watched the football :ohmy:

I hope to hear you in action soon.

C

x

Institute of advanced record hounds? :ohmy:

Do you wear an anorak?

I wasn't actually on at Cleethorpes, as I didn't know about it (DJing) until I got there on Saturday, and on hearing of my plight some kindly folks in the record bar started trying to put together a "set" from peoples sales box for me - an offer I gratiously declined on the grounds of "expense". I hope to be in action soon too - there are some possibilities I am told.

No anorak in my wardrobe I am afraid Cat - no time to wear one of those, but I do keep this poor man's Peter Storm thing in the boot of the car just in case I get caught in a downpour :ohmy:

Social source share

cheers Ruffsounds

You can thank me for helping this release go legit.... :thumbsup:

I finally located Jerry and Carmelita not long ago, and they expressed interest in seeing its release become legal...Nice folks.

Info was provided to them for Haley records;

I broke down how our scene works, and they worked out a deal that looks good.

Give me my props, Haley! :lol:

Edited by MikeVague
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert