James Brown Tracks

Peter99

I guess that The Famous Flames didn't have to do much work to get billing on this 45.  It would make a Group Harmony record collector angry having picked up this "gem" without having heard it.

hi rob , must admit did not know what you meant , due to the power of the internet i think i know what you mean , credits for songs they where not on , and no credit for songs they where on , very strange , maybe i have still not got it   :thumbsup:

Social source share

• 1 month later...

JB is not realy known for many records on the Northern Soul Scene.But one i remember is this outright pounder which i think Soul Sam once spun a bit.Its in my box and would shake the walls of any venue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ts3hybCie6c

Three more to go with this dirty stomper, sexy,sexy,sexy 

out of sight

bodyheat

Social source share

just moved this to aats as maybe better suited for these more general type affairs

i respect someone's opinion of not liking his style of music but it's hard to deny his importance in African American music and culture. and he was never "jimmy".

I think in fairness in later posts the member (if the same one) does post that has thanks to this thread since changed that view ?

Social source share

Guest trickbag

here you are peter, a nice slab of soul

on a 78.

James Brown and the Famous Flames: "I Want You So Bad" and "There Must Be a Reason. Federal 12348

sorry no link to you tube,i know youll

enjoy this, done as a car add.

ricky.

Social source share

I never liked James Brown's funk recordings (latest King recordings and Polydor).  And I started disliking him even more, after he got in an argument with my parents and insulted them, while they were together on a flight from London to New York.  But I did like James Brown and The Famous Flames' recordings with Federal Records as well as his first several King releases.  They were R&B group harmony cuts, with a slight Bluesy flavour, similar to The Five Royales' style.  In fact, they redid a former big hit by The Five Royales, "Think".  I'd bet you'd like some of his earliest recordings, although they certainly didn't have a "Northern Soul" type beat.

I especially like "Try Me", "Please, Please, Please", "Good Lovin' ", "This Old Heart", "Think", "I'll Go Crazy".

Like you I never liked his funk records but he did do some excellent mid tempo and slow records in the 70s, thanks to all who posted links, going to spend some time on them. 

My preference of his work is up to I Got You and Money Won't Change You. HIs Live at the Apollo album is the best live recording I've heard, wonderful long version of Lost Someone going over to side 2 of the LP. As well as his more R&B tracks he had hits in the USA with Prisoner Of Love and These Foolish Things.

When he first toured the UK, think it was 66 or 67, I went with Lesley to see him at Walthamstow Granada for the first performance. We enjoyed it so much that we went and got tickets for the second show. She had to pay as I had very little cash in those days (I was an apprentice) and we ended up in the second row. Truly brilliant show, had never seen anything so polished before. In the 70s we went to see him in Hammersmith but were disappointed, he only did his funky songs, not surprising really in retrospect, and we left early. I still don't like much of his funky stuff, but each to their own.

His repertoire is enormous so sure you will find many tunes to enjoy.

Social source share

Been browsing in the record room, dug the "Body Heat" album out, this is the track before "People wake up and give yourself a chance", only James Brown (and maybe Ike Hayes) could take a Bacharach/David standard and totally make it their own. Fantastic, the last minute and a half  is particularly incredible

Kev

Edited by kev cane
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!