James Brown Tracks

Peter99

Just been listening to a few James Brown tracks - I have so say I've never been a fan of Jimmy or his style, and for me he isn't the God Father of soul. This is probably another (one of many) artist(s) that I have written off over the years because I didn't like his well known stuff. I know he did a couple of mid tempo records which I like but can't remember them.

So, any suggestions/posts of mid tempo soul from James Brown would be of real interest to me.

Thanks

Peter

:thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Just been listening to a few James Brown tracks - I have so say I've never been a fan of Jimmy or his style, and for me he isn't the God Father of soul. This is probably another (one of many) artist(s) that I have written off over the years because I didn't like his well known stuff. I know he did a couple of mid tempo records which I like but can't remember them.

So, any suggestions/posts of mid tempo soul from James Brown would be of real interest to me.

Thanks

Peter

Hi Pete try

You Took My Heart of the album Get Up Offa That Thing 1976 no 7"release of this track you'll like me thinks  :yes:

atb Kev  :hatsoff2:

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Hi Pete try

You Took My Heart of the album Get Up Offa That Thing 1976 no 7"release of this track you'll like me thinks  :yes:

atb Kev  :hatsoff2:

Hi Kev

Yep, that's one of the ones I know - and like. Remember first hearing that and thinking wow is that James Brown!

Peter

Edited by Peter99
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

James Brown could defiantly pump out some fantastic ballads/deep soul, which are generally overlooked when compared to his other output

Hi John

I hope you're well mate.

I'm a Johnny Come Lately to lots of artists - some sort of ridiculous, naïve, inverted soul snobbery. I've overlooked loads of artists because I didn't like their commercial/better know stuff over the years. I'm always happy to keep learning and to be proved wrong as I stroll along my soul journey.

Peter

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Hello Dave,

'I Cried' is my favourite deep soul ballad by JB and is proof that he was definitely a soul man - overlooked sometimes because most people expect funk, as John said.

Another favourite JB ballad is 'Regrets'.

And I agree with Adam about 'People Wake Up And Live', it's exceptional.

Social source share

HI ALL.... I have a box of all of James Brown UK 45s and about 150 JB related 45s, and if you think I am going to waste my time with this person, you can think again, I feel so bad, I want to jump back....& kiss myself,

Dave K

Hi Dave

I can't make up my mind as to whether you are trying to be arsey or not. :g:

So, first point is good for you regarding having all JB's records. Secondly, if you are being arsey there's no need for it is there. You don't need to waste your time contributing to the thread.

If I have misread your post then I apologise unreservedly Sir. :hatsoff2:

Best

Peter

:wink:

Social source share

There' some beauties out there.....

James Brown - You Took My Heart

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRgR3W0G_8o

James Brown - People Wake Up And Live

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AH1iP8kx5nQ

And 'cos it's coming up to Christmas and it's on the new Harmless Soulful Christmas album......

James Brown - Santa Claus Go Straight To The Ghetto

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fgph7Umkt08

Ian D  :D

• Helpful 3
Social source share

There' some beauties out there.....

James Brown - You Took My Heart

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRgR3W0G_8o

James Brown - People Wake Up And Live

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AH1iP8kx5nQ

And 'cos it's coming up to Christmas and it's on the new Harmless Soulful Christmas album......

James Brown - Santa Claus Go Straight To The Ghetto

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fgph7Umkt08

Ian D  :D

Cheers Mr D

Peter

Social source share

Thanks everyone. It's turned into a decent thread this - some nice music and I have been re-educated in respect of James Brown. And for me that's what it's all about.

Nice one.

Peter

PS feel free to keep em coming!

Edited by Peter99
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Hi Dave

I can't make up my mind as to whether you are trying to be arsey or not. :g:

So, first point is good for you regarding having all JB's records. Secondly, if you are being arsey there's no need for it is there. You don't need to waste your time contributing to the thread.

If I have misread your post then I apologise unreservedly Sir. :hatsoff2:

Best

Peter

:wink:

Hi Peter...My posting was made in haste, the statement of only aware of 2 JB records that are mid tempo threw me,  Over the years I have met many people who stated a dislike to JB and would never consider buying his records that's faire enough, but JB introduced many people to soul, as early as 1961, he has recorded ballads mid tempo, up tempo songs,  he introduced on the ones funk 1 - - - 1 - - - 1 bass & drum to the world, he made many classic records and a few have been played on the rare soul scene at the TORCH Hey America inst,  

To conclude I would recommend that you don't just listen to JB, but get into the groove, the soul groove, try to move your feet to the beat of LICKING STICK, A personal fave of mine, if I could I would play the box, i'm sure you would find more than the 2 you know.

DAVE K

• Helpful 3
Social source share

I love the funky records by James Brown but also his slow stuff. One of my favorite is this track fro the "Everybody's Doin' The Hustle.." LP

Peter, if you want to appreciate more James Brown you should watch him on stage (concerts from the 60's and 70')

Edited by Philippe
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Hi Peter...My posting was made in haste, the statement of only aware of 2 JB records that are mid tempo threw me,  Over the years I have met many people who stated a dislike to JB and would never consider buying his records that's faire enough, but JB introduced many people to soul, as early as 1961, he has recorded ballads mid tempo, up tempo songs,  he introduced on the ones funk 1 - - - 1 - - - 1 bass & drum to the world, he made many classic records and a few have been played on the rare soul scene at the TORCH Hey America inst,  

To conclude I would recommend that you don't just listen to JB, but get into the groove, the soul groove, try to move your feet to the beat of LICKING STICK, A personal fave of mine, if I could I would play the box, i'm sure you would find more than the 2 you know.

DAVE K

Hi Dave

Nice one mate.

Peter

:hatsoff2:

Social source share

"Your love is good to me" one of my all time favourite soul records "lost someone" off same lp is onr of my favourite deep soul wailers

Get on ythe good foot is the lp....hell dare I say it I even love sex machine !!!!

He gets some awful criticsm of so called soul fans probably because of his commercial success

Dave L

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest neil adkins61

Soul on Top LP with The Louis Belson orchestra arranged by Oliver Nelson ..two stand out slowies Thats my Desire and what kind of fool am I ...Shows that James had such a wonderfull range..and the Big Band version of Papa gotta abrand new bag ..really does swing !!...1970 relaese absolutely bombed but wonderfull 2 sides of music ..

Social source share

Thanks

Peter

You're kidding'right Peter?maybe its the Merseyside funk thing but I had many JB singles in the box back in the day here's two for starters.

Man couldn't fail with that horn section  Maceo, Fred Wesely & co.

Social source share

This is my favourite. Part 2 of the 45 'Someone to talk to', utterly sublime bass groove.

Thanks for this Jordirip, I didn't know that song.

Peter, here is a very well done and instructive DVD on James Brown "Soul Survivor" : https://www.amazon.com/James-Brown-Survivor-Afrika-Bambaataa/dp/B0000DJF4C/ref=sr_1_9?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1384174843&sr=1-9&keywords=soul+survivor

41OkiCC6XML._SY300_.jpg

Somebody reads excepts of his autobiography, and James adds comments to the documentary, along with other artists that were part of his team (Lynn Collins, Fred Wesley, Maceo, etc...) I read about this DVD in the recommended Marva Whitney's autobiography "God,The Devil And James Brown".

Edited by Philippe
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

JB is not realy known for many records on the Northern Soul Scene.But one i remember is this outright pounder which i think Soul Sam once spun a bit.Its in my box and would shake the walls of any venue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ts3hybCie6c

bin shaking the batcave for an age..........awesome down and dirty dance soul....thats how ya mid tempo should be at a nighter!!!

Patto you should go where this stuff is played.....not the first time you,ve posted up some down and dirty stuff  lol

Edited by gordon russell
Social source share

bin shaking the batcave for an age..........awesome down and dirty dance soul....thats how ya mid tempo should be at a nighter!!!

Patto you should go where this stuff is played.....not the first time you,ve posted up some down and dirty stuff  lol

Cheers Gordon same wavelength i think mate always look for your posts also.Your right i need to get my cap lamp out and venture into the caves more often

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!