Archie Bell And The Drells

Sceneman

how many times did they play in the UK and where if they ever did ?

shame they had a short shelf life , 3 years of 60s good consistently good stuff then they faded .

i read archie was shot in vietnam while on duty .

well ahead of his time for 67 68 69 period ..

Edited by sceneman
Social source share

shame they had a short shelf life , 3 years of 60s good consistently good stuff then they faded .

Actually, they had a pretty good run in the 70's and 80's with Philly International too don't forget. In fact, all their UK Top 40 hits came in the 70's.....

11 Archie Bell & The Drells Here I Go Again Oct 1972   36 Archie Bell & The Drells There's Gonna Be A Showdown Jan 1973   13 Archie Bell & The Drells Soul City Walk May 1976  

Ian D  :D

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Archie is still alive and kicking isn't he?

Peter

Social source share

Actually, they had a pretty good run in the 70's and 80's with Philly International too don't forget. In fact, all their UK Top 40 hits came in the 70's.....

11 Archie Bell & The Drells Here I Go Again Oct 1972   36 Archie Bell & The Drells There's Gonna Be A Showdown Jan 1973   13 Archie Bell & The Drells Soul City Walk May 1976  

Ian D  :D

Roger that Ian, "Don,t let love get you down" "Everybody have a good time" to name another couple of very good soul records, "Dancin to your music" on Glades was another quality record aswell

Best

Kev

Social source share

For a guy who didn't have the greatest voice, he sure made some great records.

Fond memories of 1971 first hearing "Here I Go Again" and blowing my mind to pieces!

Sean

Good Evening Mr H :hatsoff2:

I hope you and yours are all well.

Good shout - nice record, lots going for it and very soulful.

Archie Bell and the Drells - available, and therefore typically underrated.

All the best mate.

Peter

:thumbsup:

Social source share

PRETTY SURE HE WAS DUE IN FLEETWOOD A FEW YEARS AGO BUT I THINK THE  I R S  PREVENTED THAT VISIT  KEV ROBERTS WOULD KNOW

KEV

. Kev, I can remember in the early 2000 Archie Bell & Drells where due to play at the Cala Gran, Fleetwood. Like you said and we were told it was down to the American Tax men taken his passport from him. I was very disappointed to say the least. Funny thing is ! One of my Favourite singles is A British only (Where will you go when the party is over) He did'nt make the party:::Rod Clegg
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

I know they toured the UK in 1977 because I interviewed Archie for Black Echoes.

It was after a show at the Mayfair in Newcastle and CBS were pleased because it made the front page - using a photo taken at a London show a few days later.

On that tour his band was called The Bell System Dance Band and featured his brother (Lee?) and I think I also met Archie's son that night. It was a great show and from what I remember it was a full house.

Archie's a lovely man and I was amazed that he remembered it many years later.

Paul

Social source share

Roger that Ian, "Don,t let love get you down" "Everybody have a good time" to name another couple of very good soul records, "Dancin to your music" on Glades was another quality record aswell

Best

Kev

:thumbsup:

Hello Kev, I love "Dancing To Your Music" on Glades, great Phillip Mitchell song and production, it really should have been a hit.

Archie's definitely underrated.

Social source share

I don't want to wander from the main topic but... what the hell, Archie Bell cut two of the best soul records ever made...

'I Love My Baby' (1968)

'Girl You're Too Young' (1969)

Not only that, these tracks define that wonderful period when the Philly sound was really starting to come together.

Timeless.

Social source share

I don't want to wander from the main topic but... what the hell, Archie Bell cut two of the best soul records ever made...

'I Love My Baby' (1968)

'Girl You're Too Young' (1969)

Not only that, these tracks define that wonderful period when the Philly sound was really starting to come together.

Timeless.

nice paul i have the first one my self was it on the glades label? can't remember will have to look

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKAlLc-aQZo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WicnP9K9rk

kev

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Fond memories of 1971 first hearing "Here I Go Again" and blowing my mind to pieces!

Sean

You know Sean I used to think but have reappraised some of his early 70's stuff and I actually think the boy can sing better than most, I used to agree with you but headphones rather than speakers in the corner of a noisy room have changed my mind. 

Social source share

PRETTY SURE HE WAS DUE IN FLEETWOOD A FEW YEARS AGO BUT I THINK THE  I R S  PREVENTED THAT VISIT  KEV ROBERTS WOULD KNOW

KEV

Archie didn't come over for that event & a few others as he had not paid his child maintenance but that has now been paid for him by David Gest & he is touring all over Europe again as Ian has pointed out. He will also be featuring at the Baltic Soul weekender in Germany later in the year.

Talking about David Gest paying bills for folks so they can come to the UK watch this space..... 

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Sean

Yup, remember laying in bed with a tranny (transistor radio that is not transvestite :ohmy: ) simply being knocked out every time "Here I Go Again" came on. Until that time I had heard nothing like it, absolutely blew me away and left me with a hunger to hear more of a similar. Led me to hearing "Tighten Up" "Showdown" etc.

Definitely one of my fave groups all these years. So much good stuff on 45 and LP

Nice take of the Impressions "I've Been Trying" on the "I Can't Stop Dancing" LP

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Love Will Rain On You - Atlantic 2559

Just A Little Closer - Atlantic 2612 

Mama Didn't Teach Me That Way

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

He was, the day before I came home and David D was there I think, not heard how it was

Yeah I did. He was great . So was Glenn Jones. As Sean said above he doesn't have the greatest of voices but he has sung some fantastic songs.

He did Don't Let Love Get You Down, It's Hard Not to like You, Let's Groove, Tighten Up, Strategy and quite a few others. No 1000 Wonders though which was a pity because the brass section were great

Social source share

Archie Bell still has to be the most consistently soulful artist who ever recorded on Atlantic.

Even b-sides like Go For What You Know are fabulous examples of his talent.

And to take that talent to PIR and have such a swathe of brilliant records like 'Everybody Have A Good Time 'and 'Where Will You Go..' is testament to his ability to create soulful records through the whole range of black music.

It's a coin toss between Archie and The O'Jays for group soul supremacy.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Sean

YES SEAN.......REMEMBER MY COPY DROPPIN' THRO LETTER BOX ONE SATURDAY MORNIN' [FROM CONTEMPO] THEN PICKIN UP ME B&SOUL MAG FROM PAPER SHOP, FINDING OUT IT HAD JUST BEEN REISSUED........KILLER TRACK

Social source share

Saw Archie and his contemporary 'Drells' in the 80's in Walthamstow at the club near the stadium. He was great, and remember going backstage and getting him to sing an accapella rendering of 'Girl, You're Too Young'. What a fantastic guy and I can't wait to see him again. Hopefully early in 2014.

Edited by s0ul45
Social source share

Guest oldsoulgit

I'm sure he was on at the Ritz in Manchester In the mid 70s, met him in New Jersey along with Sidney Barnes, and Kenny Woods i think it was

Cheers Jim.

Social source share

This was one of the first 12" that I ever bought, '76 I think, and I still have it on regular play at home. It just features the most amazing playing from the Philly guys on guitars, brass, strings etc, the dynamics within the music are fantastic, dropping down and building up, it's a real tour de force and It should be compulsory listening in any school or college doing music and blow the minds of these kids wanting to start a band.

The mighty, mighty "Everybody have a good time".

• Helpful 2
Social source share

This was one of the first 12" that I ever bought, '76 I think, and I still have it on regular play at home. It just features the most amazing playing from the Philly guys on guitars, brass, strings etc, the dynamics within the music are fantastic, dropping down and building up, it's a real tour de force and It should be compulsory listening in any school or college doing music and blow the minds of these kids wanting to start a band.

The mighty, mighty "Everybody have a good time".

"Lets see what the Soul Train gang can do with this" great post Jordi, absolutely in a nutshell, have the 12 and on the album, regular in this house to

Kev

Social source share

Seems a bit mad now but I remember when - ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cziRRBlTuRQ

....,got re-issued in the 80's and it charted - and the Bizarre column in The Sun ran a 'Where's Archie Bell' strip for weeks as according to them he could not be contacted and had no idea of the success of DLLGYD.

They found him eventually, they sent a photographer out - half remember the pic...seems a world away.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Archie Bell still has to be the most consistently soulful artist who ever recorded on Atlantic.

Even b-sides like Go For What You Know are fabulous examples of his talent.

And to take that talent to PIR and have such a swathe of brilliant records like 'Everybody Have A Good Time 'and 'Where Will You Go..' is testament to his ability to create soulful records through the whole range of black music.

It's a coin toss between Archie and The O'Jays for group soul supremacy.

I'll let the Four Tops, The Impressions and The Temptations know....

Edited by Pete S
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!