The Montereys & Grandeurs

Agent45

• Replies 6
  • Views 893
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

I found a massive pile of these in Pittsburgh along with a local track by Ritchie Merritt track on "C Way" about 2004 or thereabouts - The guy still wanted stupid amounts of money for each - even though he had quantity. Couldn't verify that the tune is from that area, though - but I suppose it could possibly rule out it being from the south, or the west coast

Des

Social source share

It was pressed by RI which was from Baltimore, MD. Based on the number and record info I'd say it was from 1969. RI pressings were pretty regional, a lot from DC, MD, VA, PA, a few from OH

Pittsburgh is about halfway between Baltimore & Cleveland (one of Ohio's soul recording hot spots), so these outfits could easily have come from the general area between Cleveland & Baltimore. 

However, many Baltimore artists 'left town' to record (going to Philly, DC, New York, etc.) coz the local recording studios and pressing plants weren't too advanced back in the 60's. Pittsburgh seemed to have better studios / pressing facilities (though lots of local acts also headed out to Philly to record).

If the Montereys & Grandeurs were from Pittsburgh (where lots of their 45's ended up), I don't really see why their 45 would be pressed up in Baltimore.

I have loads of Pittsburgh club ads from around 1966 thru to the 1970's but can't find any local shows that feature these outfits (looked at ones from the 67/68/69 period in particular).

I'd guess that the group / band weren't actually from the Pittsburgh area itself (or from Baltimore) but were based somewhere in the Pennsylvania, Maryland, East Ohio or Virginia region and just had their 45 pressed up in Baltimore. 

Edited by Roburt
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

• 3 months later...

This was good thread to come across, I brought my copy about a year back and until knew nothing about it . Played in a few sets , it went down well with the dancers  and it sounded ace over a big system.

Nice one Colin.... Oh dear I think I was just nice to you ... :hypocrite: :hypocrite:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert