Solo Blowin My Mind

In the UK it was on the flip side of 'Where Do You Want Me To Put It' which was issued on 12", CD single and cassette single.

It really should have been issued as an A side.

From memory I think these issues used the album version but there might have been different mixes of 'Blowin' My Mind' issued on a promo 12" in the US, again on the flip side of 'Where Do You Want Me To Put It'.

I sold my last copy of the 12" many years ago so I can't get you a label scan.  I just kept the CD album.

And I wouldn't know if there are any bootlegs out there.

Social source share

In the UK it was on the flip side of 'Where Do You Want Me To Put It' which was issued on 12", CD single and cassette single.

It really should have been issued as an A side.

From memory I think these issues used the album version but there might have been different mixes of 'Blowin' My Mind' issued on a promo 12" in the US, again on the flip side of 'Where Do You Want Me To Put It'.

I sold my last copy of the 12" many years ago so I can't get you a label scan.  I just kept the CD album.

And I wouldn't know if there are any bootlegs out there.

Well remembered Paul...the UK promo 12" (AMPMDJ36) had the album version on the B-side, along with the accapella of "Where do u want...", and the a side had remix and album versions of that. I was getting all the A & M stuff mailed at the time and never saw any remixes of "Blowing my mind", although it was a big tune for me in 1995 I don't think it was big enough in its own right to warrant remixes...

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Seem to recall buying a couple of copies of the UK CD single of  'Where Do You Want Me To Put It' as the cover says it features 'Blowin' My Mind' as an additional track.

BUT it wasn't actually on there (so have had to make do with my CD copy of the album to own the track).

Edited by Roburt
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Well remembered Paul...the UK promo 12" (AMPMDJ36) had the album version on the B-side, along with the accapella of "Where do u want...", and the a side had remix and album versions of that. I was getting all the A & M stuff mailed at the time and never saw any remixes of "Blowing my mind", although it was a big tune for me in 1995 I don't think it was big enough in its own right to warrant remixes...

Hello Jerry,

It was a big track for me too, I was working in a few high street clubs in those days and producing a radio show and it always got a good reaction.

I sold my vinyl copies when soul fans started to pick up on it a few years later but I kept the CD album.

It reminds me that some great music was still being made in the 1990s.

Social source share

Jerry , this is the same as mine .Sleeve has company sticker 'LIMITED EDITION DJ COPY...'
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

" When soul fans started to pick it up a few years later"!!! I bought it on release mate , along with lots of other soul fans , and as Dave pinches says it were massive at " pitches"

Edited by drewid
Social source share

Incidentally , I recall sat with my kids one sat morning and there was a kids programme on , showing latest releases with a judging panel done by some nomarks of the day. And they played the video of " where do you wan..." And also " love letters" Ali , of his " crucial" album , well worth a listen !

Social source share

Spot on Dave. Massive PITCHES record! We always played off the CD at the time but I picked up the 12" a few years later via Blake. :thumbsup: Sean

Same here Sean. Had the cd album from new but got the 12in from Blake at the phoenix after pitches finished.. The bugger charged me a fiver for it... Happy days

Edited by dave pinch
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Big pitches tune in 1995. Still have the UK 12 but the solo cd is great period

Ahh pitches/phoenix great great nights Aleshure Mel Waiters David Brinston Jesse Graham and the rest such great times...remember walking into pitches and Mr Hampsey playing Bobby Womack "give it up" Luther Ingram"trying to find my love" Tommy Tate "if you got to love somebody" on the bounce man oh man it was "blowing my mind"!

Dave Longbottom

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Is that off the CD/Lp? I've got a 12" promo (I think) of this track(silver sleeve) that is a much punchier mix.

Hi Jordi,

Yes, this cut is on their second album "4 Bruthas & A Bass" from 1998..........and well done to Dave for posting it........beat me to it!

https://www.amazon.com/4-Bruthas-Bass-Solo/dp/B00000AFE4/ref=sr_1_4?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1383826424&sr=1-4&keywords=solo

Clearly not played at Pitches or it would have been massive!!  :wicked:

Only joshing folks! LOL

Cheers,

Mark R

Social source share

Isn't this track the Modern Scene's Frank Wilson/Gene Toomes/Rita and the Tiara's (delete as applicable depending on what scene you represent!)?

I thought there were a couple of decent other tracks on the CD, long time since I listened to it admittedly.

Edited by jocko
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Isn't this track the Modern Scene's Frank Wilson/Gene Toomes/Rita and the Tiara's (delete as applicable depending on what scene you represent!)?

I thought there were a couple of decent other tracks on the CD, long time since I listened to it admittedly.

Great CD Jock, and their 2nd CD has some great moments too........"Nights Like This" was quite popular........this was all around the time of Fleetwood Weekender and the original Modern Room.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pqx6rY8OyWA

Hope you're well pal......looks like last weekend was a blast.......would love to try and make it next year.

Cheers,

Mark R

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Incidentally, discovered by a record exec. whilst busking on the NY Underground!!

What a great story.......

Cheers,

Mark R

I read somewhere that this was a myth, and a bit of spin / pr , to market them
Social source share

" When soul fans started to pick it up a few years later"!!! I bought it on release mate , along with lots of other soul fans , and as Dave pinches says it were massive at " pitches"

Hello

You and many others did the same as I did then but up I was talking about my area and up here it was definitely later when I noticed people from the soul scene looking for copies, the same thing happened with Drizabone etc. The demand came later and by then (to my surprise) these records weren't so easy to find any more, that's why I sold my vinyl copies and kept the album.

As I'd said, I'd played 'Blowin' My Mind' in high street clubs in Middlesbrough (and at the Tall Trees etc) and on the radio, I wouldn't have known how popular the track would have been in other areas.

If the interest from soul fans up here had been instant everyone could have bought copies for 99p. because for a few weeks it had been available in chart return shops on 12", CD single and cassette single. It makes you wonder where all the copies went.

Paul

Social source share

Hello You and many others did the same as I did then but up I was talking about my area and up here it was definitely later when I noticed people from the soul scene looking for copies, the same thing happened with Drizabone etc. The demand came later and by then (to my surprise) these records weren't so easy to find any more, that's why I sold my vinyl copies and kept the album. As I'd said, I'd played 'Blowin' My Mind' in high street clubs in Middlesbrough (and at the Tall Trees etc) and on the radio, I wouldn't have known how popular the track would have been in other areas.If the interest from soul fans up here had been instant everyone could have bought copies for 99p. because for a few weeks it had been available in chart return shops on 12", CD single and cassette single. It makes you wonder where all the copies went.Paul[/quo

I bought driza bone pressure the week it came out from EGS in Barnsley for 50p. Played it early doors the same weekend in Barnsley at an oldies northern do for a dare by Neal siddons... There were a few puzzled faces... Barnsleynot the easiest place to break fresh music lol

Social source share

Hello

You and many others did the same as I did then but up I was talking about my area and up here it was definitely later when I noticed people from the soul scene looking for copies, the same thing happened with Drizabone etc. The demand came later and by then (to my surprise) these records weren't so easy to find any more, that's why I sold my vinyl copies and kept the album.

Paul

Yes, but you seem to be saying this from the NS bubble............Steve Hobbs raved over Drizabone as a W/L promo in Blues & Soul, which was still a major publication at the time.  So it and it's like hardly went unnoticed.

I think the "Soul Scene" was well onto it, and it was the "Northern/Rare Soul Scene" that got interested later down the line.............probably largely because by then you couldn't get it..........it seems that's a big part of how the wheels turn for some, even on things that aren't that rare!!

Cheers,

Mark R

Social source share

Yes, but you seem to be saying this from the NS bubble............Steve Hobbs raved over Drizabone as a W/L promo in Blues & Soul, which was still a major publication at the time.  So it and it's like hardly went unnoticed.

I think the "Soul Scene" was well onto it, and it was the "Northern/Rare Soul Scene" that got interested later down the line.............probably largely because by then you couldn't get it..........it seems that's a big part of how the wheels turn for some, even on things that aren't that rare!!

Cheers,

Mark R

Hello Mark

I'm not on the scene but had played these tracks as new releases, a lot of soul fans and mainstream black music DJs had obviously picked up on them when they were first issued. All I was saying is that in my area it was a while before I noticed a demand with soul scene people who started to search for copies and were willing to pay what I thought (at the time) were inflated prices.

"‹But to be fair the scene is actually several scenes and can be diverse so these tracks will have got exposure in some 'scene' clubs when they were brand new - such as those mentioned in other posts.

I suppose at the time when copies of the Solo 12" could easily be bought in chart return stores for 99p or even less it might have been too cheap or too common for some scene DJs and I think that's a shame but I accept it's often how it works.

I also agree about prices paid for things that aren't so rare, I suppose it's the demand that  drives the prices most. I know very little about record values, I just focus on what I like.

Paul

Social source share

Hello

As I'd said, I'd played 'Blowin' My Mind' in high street clubs in Middlesbrough (and at the Tall Trees etc) and on the radio, I wouldn't have known how popular the track would have been in other areas.

If the interest from soul fans up here had been instant everyone could have bought copies for 99p. because for a few weeks it had been available in chart return shops on 12", CD single and cassette single. It makes you wonder where all the copies went.

Paul

my response was because you said the " soul scene" but yes I think you must have been referring to the northern scene , no prob
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!