This Is It

• Replies 20
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I've played it more than any record in my collection over the last 30 odd years, and it still conjures up the same feelings. absolute genius,

look out for a book that came out about the album as part of the mojo series, and gives a great insight into the masterpiece..

Social source share

Guest Polyvelts

No sane man would argue with you.

but......

'I want you' is a sublime masterpiece, no 'whats going on' I admit - but sorely underrated.

Social source share

Just bought a great Marvin DVD in the states...loads of live footage, interviews etc...it really is special...includes a great live version of "Whats going on".....then in merges into "Whats happening brother".....put it on for ten mins the other day...ended up watching the whole thing and the extra acapella stuff too.......

Chris.......

Social source share

Guest denmac

chris, you have listened to the one voice that unites all the scenes in the arena that we love

P S, brilliant spot at willington, thank you.

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

There is a strange feeling about this that some of the best albums ever made on Motown came in the 70's yet i believe the best ones were always in the 60's and many were full of Northern classics

Social source share

I went through a short phase where I preferred Donny Hathaway's version of What's Going On. Great as it is, on reflection, Marvin's was the work of genius.

To think he had that killer melody in the trunk - not to mention a sublime arrangement. Marvin could have used it to write a memorable love song. Instead he chose to give the world a message. And it got through.

That kind of musical intergrity is missing from today's popular music. Can you imagine anyone writing a song in 2006 that touches the conscienceness like WGO, or Lennon's Imagine?

Col

Edited by Dayo
Social source share

Love this album,along with most of this era Marvin :lol: and the Miracles album mentioned is also excellent. :D:lol: Particuarly the instrumental track that open sides two :thumbsup::shhh: but for top Motown albums of this period how can you go past Stevie Wonder! :lol:

I know he's issued some crap since then but, at his peak, he was THE man :shhh:

Social source share

Guest Simon

Love this album,along with most of this era Marvin :yes: and the Miracles album mentioned is also excellent. ranting_1.gif:P Particuarly the instrumental track that open sides two ranting_1.gif:ohmy: but for top Motown albums of this period how can you go past Stevie Wonder! whistling.gif

I know he's issued some crap since then but, at his peak, he was THE man :P

Agree totally, 'What's going on' is a fantastic album but 'Innervisions' pushes it very close!

Simon

Social source share

Guest Adrian

Heard Keith Money playing "Where Are We Going?" - an unreleased track only available on... wait for it... "The Very Best Of Marvin Gaye" double CD. Totally awesome track from 1972, just after "What's Going On.

Sorry to digress... here's an MP3

2_05_Where_Are_We_Going__1.mp3

The Mizells produced that, i read somewhere Marvin kept them waiting for ages, strolled in having a smoke, sung it in one and left!

Excellent stuff, it did come out on a 12" a couple of years back with other Marvin tracks, I'

ll have to dig it out to let you know the label, it was some reissue or bootleg label.

'Whats Going On' started me on soul music, he remains my favorite artist, truely truely great stuff, imagine if that record was a private pressed small label job, how much? whistling.gif

Have to say though over the last couple of years I lean more towards 'Hear My Dear' deep deep deep!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert