Dj Tec Q

I have a question.  Whilst I appreciate that if the sound engineer (laughs !), has set up the equipment correctly, you shouldnt really go buggering around with the levels etc....however, if you have a lo fi (volume) 45, am I correct in saying that you could up the gain slightly on that particular channel to get better volume on the input (not out put).  Obviously taking a mental note of where the gain was to re set on completion of said 45 ?. 

Thanks

Russ

Social source share

Assuming your channel output and master levels are already high or at max you should boost the gain for a very quiet track but reset it afterwards because if the gain is constantly high you won't have any "headroom" left - and if it's too high your incoming signal will be distorted.

The gain control is for input signals so its real purpose is to set tracks at the correct level, i.e. to get a hot but not distorted incoming signal, obviously tracks are mastered at different levels and some are quite low, especially compilation albums.

The more accurate way of DJing is to set the channel output levels and master output and then adjust the gain to the right level for each incoming signal. Some DJs don't pay attention to the level of incoming signals and end up with distortion, often trying to fix it with EQ settings but all they have to do is cut the gain and boost the outputs.

Social source share

Hello Russ, it may be obvious but I should have added that the level of the incoming signal at the gain control is monitored by the PFL (pre fade level) meter, the aim being to get a hot clean signal (aiming at zero dB or just less) without distortion.

If every incoming signal is set correct by cutting or boosting the gain control, it shouldn't be necessary to adjust the channel and master outputs.

The gain control is your starting point so I'm amazed that some DJs don't pay attention to it.

Paul

Social source share

My understanding is, albeit very basic understanding, is to set the gain initially for each channel, set fader to 0, then set gain to just peak at the yellow, with master volume at max.  Use gain for each channel if required to get the best quality sound from discs that may not be as good quality recording as they might ?.....

Thank you for explaining this....I was pretty much on the right track, but with the quality of some soul 45's, you really do need to master the 'gain' properly (without messing up everything else).  I'm endeavouring to improve the set up of equipment, when not using a sound engineer & to improve the quality of sound whilst DJing....

Best Russ   

Social source share

You're definitely on the right track, Russ, adjust the channel gain level to get your optimum setting for each incoming track and use the channel and master faders just for output volumes - and you might not need to adjust them very often.

The music will sound better (no distortion) and you'll also have more consistent levels from one track to another.

:thumbsup: 

Social source share

You're definitely on the right track, Russ, adjust the channel gain level to get your optimum setting for each incoming track and use the channel and master faders just for output volumes - and you might not need to adjust them very often.

The music will sound better (no distortion) and you'll also have more consistent levels from one track to another.

:thumbsup: 

Some setups I've heard could do with compressor/limiters fitted, but lets not go there.    :D   :lol:   :hatsoff2:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I have a question.  Whilst I appreciate that if the sound engineer (laughs !), has set up the equipment correctly, you shouldnt really go buggering around with the levels etc....however, if you have a lo fi (volume) 45, am I correct in saying that you could up the gain slightly on that particular channel to get better volume on the input (not out put).  Obviously taking a mental note of where the gain was to re set on completion of said 45 ?. 

Thanks

Russ

Hi Russ

Do you mean is it ok to turn the record player up a bit?

:D

Peter

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Not so much of a problem for your average Northern room where 99% of things played are 7" singles that last for about 2-30 to 3 minutes.

Now go into a Modern room where 7" singles, 12" singles & album tracks are played alongside CD's. Not only that but most are played by DJ's who are tone deaf & have no idea what they are doing & think the only way to make things sound better is to whack everything that moves on the mixer to the max.

why would anyone book someone in a modern room that couldnt use the equipment?

Social source share

from a DJ's perspective you should frig about with the eq, gain and volume at every possible opportunity, you cant call yourself a dj if you dont, its your job!

Thats all well & good if the DJ knows what they are doing, many dont & can make matters with regards to sound far worst in fact....I put records on occasionally, hopefully in the right order so that people will appreciate them, I rely very heavily, if Im honest on the equipment being set up properly in the first place, as Im not that confident mucking about with the levels myself, however I want to become a better DJ with regards to these things, hence my initial question....

Just trying to be honest....

Best Russ

Social source share

Thats all well & good if the DJ knows what they are doing, many dont & can make matters with regards to sound far worst in fact....I put records on occasionally, hopefully in the right order so that people will appreciate them, I rely very heavily, if Im honest on the equipment being set up properly in the first place, as Im not that confident mucking about with the levels myself, however I want to become a better DJ with regards to these things, hence my initial question....

Best Russ

fair do's russ, I've not had a hi fi set up at home for 20 years, but I've always had a mixer and decks, so I sposse i'm spoilt really. the qualities of frigging with the eq are much underplayed on the NS scene imho. We have loads of threads on here about cleaning records in various form but enhancing a tune with the gain and eq 

can be highly effective and is seldom mentioned. You cant play album cuts well unless you know how to use one either. 

Social source share

Best Russ

...whenever i've used others equipment Russ....b'cos of the sound level difference on records...I always have 1 deck turned up a bit more....and put me quiter redorded tunes on there with room for further adjustment! If you do that and remember which deck you've done it with......things should be 'equalised'...!x 

LUV

SOOTY

X

I learnt that early on when me first DJ set included boot legs which bummed out and went quiet across the room.........hehe!!!x It was only 7pm....nobody there....but I thought the deck had gone down.......and faffed about with stuff and made it all sound worse......! Developing DJ personified!!hehe!!x 

@@

~

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!