Inexpensive Records For Big Djs?

Ljblanken

Guest gordon russell

Check out this thread for loads of examples of great underplayed uptempo and under fifty quid records.Would have loved the thread to have lasted longer and would love to hear more of them played out

alfreda brockington....how good is that....joann garrett.......ditto

Social source share

The politics , the bitching , the back slapping, the arse licking , the bullshitters, just reading this thread reminds me why I am very fickle where I go , it just, well, gets on me tits, so I choose mainly to sit at home with my headphones on

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Been at a few venues were i've tried to help with the sound probs.Usually its banged up on volume and gains.Amp cant cope.Too small.

what did ya do kev stop talking?  lol :lol:

Social source share

Here is the world's best £10 record.  I can't believe anyone could not like this.  It is very special.

Can you imagine having the thrill of hearing this for the first time ever?  I especially love that kind of choral part right in the middle before it shifts up a gear and gets even more intense.  What a record.  

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest Polyvelts

Pretty sure Ady C plays Bobby Bland 'these hands small but mighty' at the 100 club. A very special record !

Anyone with a pocket full of change that wants to start a soul 45 collection should start with this.

I remember years ago at 100 club having an urge to hear 'sweet sherry' , asked Ady and he played it next record, it's not all about the rarity.

Social source share

You mean "Austin ambassador Y Reg"  ??

We are going to get in trouble soon from the we are the mods!!  :-)

Off topic posts and that.

Ok reason....my brother always called me Reg Molehusband when I was learning to drive and when I had scooters...based on the old PIF. Since the internet was invented (I work in IT)  I have always been Reg.

That's it really  :)   Bloody mystique lost now...hahaha!!

Nod to John Shuttleworth. :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

this should never be played out..........how dreary is this.............as far as big names go once they,ve played their big hitters most run out of ideas

Disagree. It's a decent track to follow a few up- tempo numbers. Sure it's not in the Same class as I Love Her So Much It Hurts Me but it is a good track that I've had for 20 years and would not object to hearing in public.
Social source share

thats better.................anyone should see the difference between that and the majestics track........thats why we drive 200miles north when london is only 45 south........because the noth is like syl johnson all night long  cheap or expensive   whilst the south is like the majestics  until about 3  when folk go home on that bus sooty has lol.....sorry but true

Gordon - you could be right but is this because the London scene is stale or the north overlooks mid-pace records? In all probability, there are more Northern aficionados beyond Watford keeping the scene alive in The Midlands, North West and beyond whereas London suffers from having fewer followers, too few venues, reluctant travellers and a pre- eminent monthly allnighter that dominates the local scene.
Social source share

Being in Australia and holed up in a country town, I don't play strictly Northern nights, but i often drop tunes like this when I'm in amongst the bright lights and big cities. Probably over-played to some, loved by others. I have no idea, but some folks seem to like them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzE3nGbGVVA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMT3eWdeZdc

• Helpful 1
Social source share

.....So it's just the ladies that like my type of tunes......Terry's gonna have a field day :( Damn, damn, damn :excl: 

:D 

Len :thumbsup: 

Better than it being just the blokes, trust me.

I call that relentless aggressive uptempo stuff 'lad - soul'. Not that I dont like it , but like any sane person, I like some variety. And I'm not even a sane person.

Social source share

Gordon - you could be right but is this because the London scene is stale or the north overlooks mid-pace records? In all probability, there are more Northern aficionados beyond Watford keeping the scene alive in The Midlands, North West and beyond whereas London suffers from having fewer followers, too few venues, reluctant travellers and a pre- eminent monthly allnighter that dominates the local scene.

Not quite right. The scene is much more fragmented in London, there are loads of nights run by various long timers, scene returnees, ex mods etc. Whilst we don't tend to have the "nostalgia" element either....what we do have is on one level excellent gigs like Marco S's and Leona's, and at the other extreme former mods / returnees playing boots. And it's not all northern either small 70s / crossover venues exist as well.....Allnighter wise there is the well supported Crossfire and there is of course the 100 Club.

Fewer people yes, but not the same "nostaliga scene" confusing things either. There's certainly no bus loads of hand baggers turning up for a good Saturday night out with "The Snake"..... :no:

Edited by Steve G
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Not quite right. The scene is much more fragmented in London, there are loads of nights run by various long timers, scene returnees, ex mods etc. Whilst we don't tend to have the "nostalgia" element either....what we do have is on one level excellent gigs like Marco S's and Leona's, and at the other extreme former mods / returnees playing boots. And it's not all northern either small 70s / crossover venues exist as well.....Allnighter wise there is the well supported Crossfire and there is of course the 100 Club.

Fewer people yes, but not the same "nostaliga scene" confusing things either. There's certainly no bus loads of hand baggers turning up for a good Saturday night out with "The Snake"..... :no:

Also in London if you prefer the 60s side of things there's Solid Hit Soul, we definately don't rely on top 500 etc & of course there's no boots etc it's OVO. Mid to up tempo 60s Northern. No funk,crossover, modern disco etc.....Just Northern

5 tracks played by each resident recently

Des Parker

Third Generation - Our Time

Bobby Fulton - Why So Wrong

Patti & Emblems - Just Wanna Be Loved

Ethics - From Your Heart

Ronnie Walker - Nothing's Gonna Change

Shane Cox

TY KARIM - YOU REALLY MADE IT GOOD TO ME - ROMARK

PAULETTE - LOVE YOU BABE - CONTACT

LES CHANSONETTES - DON'T LET HIM HURT YOU - SHRINE

DEBONAIRS - PLEASE COME BACK BABY - SOUL CLICK

DANNY WOODS - YOU HAD ME FOOLED - CORREC-TONE

Dave Greenhill

Don & Ron I'm so so sorry

Royal Chessmen You must believe me

Bill Griffin Try to run a game on me

Creations I wan'na talk to you

Linda & The Pretenders Believe me

Stuart Tyler

Ted Wilson My aim is to please

Locations Mr Diamond Man

Bobby Kline Say something nice to me

Don Varner Mojo Mama

Melvin Davies Find a quiet place

It's not only southerners we often have travellers from the midlands & further oop north.

Anybody fancy a friendly night in London with top quality Northern in an atmospheric basement with wooden dancefloor & you need a hotel for the night there is one that most visitors use 3 minutes away. Could be Premier Inn, cant remember off the top of my head :sleep3: but contact me & I'll get details for you.

Edited by SHSDave
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Hi there......about two years ago....imogen moore who was/is a regular at the pre-eminent monthly nighter....came along to my favourite venue.....and she posted on here afterwards that she was  blown away...because the venue was to much more vibrant and upbeat (for a nighter) ....than her regular london nighter.......says it all.....amongst other things .....it,s a night out....we can sit at home  and listen to all the lovely  la la records we like......but when we go out!!! :thumbsup:  :)

Social source share

Inexpensive, still ticks the boxes! C & H Carbo

Hayden thats a fantastic record.Maybe cheap but its hard to track down.It took me ages to get one and i eventually found one in France.Incidently the instrumental of it by The Castle Band called Little Floridy was a Stafford spin from Guy Hennigan i think

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Hi there......about two years ago....imogen moore who was/is a regular at the pre-eminent monthly nighter....came along to my favourite venue.....and she posted on here afterwards that she was  blown away...because the venue was to much more vibrant and upbeat (for a nighter) ....than her regular london nighter.......says it all.....amongst other things .....it,s a night out....we can sit at home  and listen to all the lovely  la la records we like......but when we go out!!! :thumbsup:  :)

Both Nighters are brilliant, but slightly different....lots go n enjoy both without having to feel they need to make a choice, I really don't see the 100 Club as being a mid tempo venue at all, on the whole its about the same variety as any where else...what I would say tho, is there are records played at both venues that are unique to them....

Best Russ

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Both Nighters are brilliant, but slightly different....lots go n enjoy both without having to feel they need to make a choice, I really don't see the 100 Club as being a mid tempo venue at all, on the whole its about the same variety as any where else...what I would say tho, is there are records played at both venues that are unique to them....

Best Russ

never mentioned the 100?

Social source share

Also in London if you prefer the 60s side of things there's Solid Hit Soul, we definately don't rely on top 500 etc & of course there's no boots etc it's OVO. Mid to up tempo 60s Northern. No funk,crossover, modern disco etc.....Just Northern

Fair shout Dave - forgot about you becos I am always rushing to get out of the city on Friday nights......

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!