Inexpensive Records For Big Djs?

Ljblanken

Its when you check up on Mick you see its not a USA issue but UK demo or even a rarera issue, Mick ain't the normal record guy.

Adam has been playing 'Ain't No Mountain High Enough' for years, and always when it was right to play it - The greatest record on a Sunday night at Cleethorpes :wink:

All the best,

Len :thumbsup: 

Edited by LEN
Social source share

Repetitive shouter.

I call that 'Gotcha Gotcha' Soul - I like it (but not all night) It certainly keeps a place 'going' - I'll give Gordon that.

I didn't like 'The Majestics - Strange World' at all (My 'difference' I was talking about Terry)

Just opinions guys :wink:

All the best,

Social source share

Quality soul is never cheap, but it can be inexpensive.

My favourite Dj's have always been able to throw in the occasional, and sometimes more than occasional, less expensive tune into their sets, it's very much part of what makes them quality DJ's.

However, it doesn't matter if you're buying records at £10 or £1000 the only thing that you can't buy is taste, and having great taste is the thing that separates a smallish group of Premier League DJ's from the rest.   

Hear, hear. Nail on head time.

Edited by Quinvy
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Spent a big part of my DJ career following him... and resetting em (...along with the Pitch control).

Gotta love the man.

:thumbsup:

Sean

Exactly! he's a very nice man, but he wouldn't get near the decks at any nighter of mine. You're only as good as your last set in my opinion, and history counts for nothing. 

Edited by Quinvy
Social source share

GINGER AND LEVINE HAVE TO BE THE BIGGEST DEEJAYS.MICK H IS PRETTY BIG TOO-MUST BE 18 STONES AT LEAST,.AS FOR MICK SMITH,WELL HE MAY HAVE BEEN AROUND THE SARF FOR YEARS BUT YOU CANT HEAR/UNDERSTAND A BLEEDIN WORD HE SAYS[DOES IT MATTER IF THE RECORDS ARE DECENT].

Social source share

Exactly! he's a very nice man, but he wouldn't get near the decks at any nighter of mine. You're only as good as your last set in my opinion, and history counts for nothing. 

I don't get the aggression that's coming out here.........is it "Trash a long time DJ" week in Lancs or something?

Edited by Steve G
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Like I said it's constructive criticism, not personal attacks. The scene is stale and controlled by cliques of individuals and long time Dj's who are worshipped for what they once were, not what they are now. Someone mentioned James Trouble, and although I don't agree with a lot of what he did, he was at least trying to give the scene a kick up the arse, which it really, really needs.

Social source share

I suppose I better put my 'head on the block' as I gave my opinion on the last two records......

......This is my 'Heaven'.......Just TRY and imagine it being 'spliced' in at the right time (and that everyone liked it!) :D 

'The Festivals - You Got The Makings Of A Lover'

Enjoy! :wink: (I'll get me coat)  :excl:   

All the best,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUWV1qhlt6Y

Great pick Len, there,s 1000,s of records of the like out there, unfortunately, not rare enough for the sheep or BIG DJ hangers-on, so like the Festivals, will be confined to the record room and the few innovative venues

Kev

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

I suppose I better put my 'head on the block' as I gave my opinion on the last two records......

......This is my 'Heaven'.......Just TRY and imagine it being 'spliced' in at the right time (and that everyone liked it!) :D 

'The Festivals - You Got The Makings Of A Lover'

Enjoy! :wink: (I'll get me coat)  :excl:   

All the best,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUWV1qhlt6Y

len i,ve seen you have edited your post..................it can,t be working properly the festivals track is still there :lol:

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

A bloody record is either a dance record or it ain,t.........some of these posted clearly ain,t,but some (you len) of you obviously don,t get .....there is no debate on that......debate one tune being better/more soulful ect........if it wern,t made to dance to......it ain,t a dancer......ergo   DON,T PLAY EM OUT JUST COZ YOU LIKE EM!!..........it,s not the point :thumbsup:  :lol:

Social source share

A bloody record is either a dance record or it ain,t.........some of these posted clearly ain,t,but some (you len) of you obviously don,t get .....there is no debate on that......debate one tune being better/more soulful ect........if it wern,t made to dance to......it ain,t a dancer......ergo   DON,T PLAY EM OUT JUST COZ YOU LIKE EM!!..........it,s not the point :thumbsup:  :lol:

:D Me and you have very different 'histories', so are obviously influenced differently. I know if the two tunes that I posted above were played at The 100 Club (in my days there at least) the dance floor would have been packed - So in my opinion they are both dance tunes that sound fantastic at the right moment.......For me - at 4.00am......For you - in the car on the way home.....just before you sling the C.D out of the window! :)    

I like your opinions though - Keep em coming (Need not that I ask you to!) :wink: 

All the best,

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

:D Me and you have very different 'histories', so are obviously influenced differently. I know if the two tunes that I posted above were played at The 100 Club (in my days there at least) the dance floor would have been packed - So in my opinion they are both dance tunes that sound fantastic at the right moment.......For me - at 4.00am......For you - in the car on the way home.....just before you sling the C.D out of the window! :)    

I like your opinions though - Keep em coming (Need not that I ask you to!) :wink: 

All the best,

hoorah!!!........got it nearly right..........the c.d would of been  aimed out the window before it could contaminate the c.d player lol

Social source share

The uptempo banging bully against the mid tempo dancing queen :D .... 

Give up now Len.... Surrender.... :hatsoff2:

No matter the topic title you will have to have your banging tunes debate for the millionth time....

Edited by little-stevie
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

"I will never give up!"......He simply has to be stopped :excl::D 

You're 'one of us' Steve :wink: 

P.s - I did like the phrase Irish came up with, describing us as 'The Tempo Twins' :D 

Edited by LEN
Social source share

Guest northernsoul62

How the f*ck has catch that teardrop ended up in a list with build me up buttercup!? :-/

I was just saying i will dance to a £5 or a £200 record.

Social source share

I see Kev already posted..

Yes indeed Reg had lady bits the last time i was in her company..  :hatsoff2:  :hatsoff2:

.....So it's just the ladies that like my type of tunes......Terry's gonna have a field day :( Damn, damn, damn :excl: 

:D 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Could you please elaborate so I may avoid any further transgression. I would hate to think that I have made the strange world of Northern Soul sound weirder than it is.

I'm not talking about northern soul only - soul music doesnt begin and end with the northern scene - but general soul djing practice. On one hand there are people putting lots if work in trying to find lost gems and exclusive tunes to make their dj sets unique, on the other hand there is the fetishisation of rarity. Both occur but arent the same thing.

My rule was always :

For expensive / rare records - would you still like it / play it if it was cheap / common

For cheap records - would you pay at least 100 quid for it, if it was rarer.

t

If the answer to either is 'no' then the record's no good enough.

Edited by penny
Social source share

I'm not talking about northern soul only - soul music doesnt begin and end with the northern scene - but general soul djing practice. On one hand there are people putting lots if work in trying to find lost gems and exclusive tunes to make their dj sets unique, on the other hand there is the fetishisation of rarity. Both occur but arent the same thing.

My rule was always :

For expensive / rare records - would you still like it / play it if it was cheap / common

For cheap records - would you pay at least 100 quid for it, if it was rarer.

t

If the answer to either is 'no' then the record's no good enough.

The cost of records is, and always has been irrelevant to me - When D.Jing, if I have a £1,000.00 record on one deck, and a £5.00 record on the other, I see them both 'averaged out' to £502.50 each :D 

All the best,

Edited by LEN
Social source share

The cost of records is, and always has been irrelevant to me - When D.Jing, if I have a £1,000.00 record on one deck, and a £5.00 record on the other, I see them both 'averaged out' to £502.50 each :D 

All the best,

I'll give you £502.50 for the £1000 record.  :thumbup:

• Helpful 3
Social source share

....does your family call you " R - Reg" ?  :D

You mean "Austin ambassador Y Reg"  ??

We are going to get in trouble soon from the we are the mods!!  :-)

Off topic posts and that.

Ok reason....my brother always called me Reg Molehusband when I was learning to drive and when I had scooters...based on the old PIF. Since the internet was invented (I work in IT)  I have always been Reg.

That's it really  :)   Bloody mystique lost now...hahaha!!

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I'll give you £502.50 for the £1000 record.  :thumbup:

Done!.....Hang on, no.....it's 'buy low, sell high'.......I keep getting that mixed up....... :huh: 

........Well maybe......if you find a buyer for the other record.......hang on (again)......um......there's no profit there is there? I'd be just like a proper Record Dealer - Doing it for love :wink::D

Edited by LEN
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

No matter the topic title you will have to have your banging tunes debate for the millionth time....

Fair play fella l own up :D .......just fed up at some venues when people moan..."it,s gone flat"   and people are starting to go home...and it,s as plain as day  why. :thumbsup:  :D

Social source share

Have we not done this before years ago?

Bloody Hell Smithy do I have to regale the long story again :)  :)

Was it something about Reginald Molehusband?  If so, you told it before I was posting I think

* sorry hadn't seen your post above

Edited by Pete S
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Slightly off topic I know, but what is the other version Steve ?...didn't the Norvells come out on 2 labels as well ?.

Best Russ

Hi Russ, Two labels as The Norvells also on Twinight as The Perfections - that's the rare one....

Edited by Steve G
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

You know when you see a record all over the place and it's only a fiver or a tenner and you automatically think it's probably that cheap for a reason?  I'm ashamed to say I do that a lot.  I did it with this record which I'd had off and on for 20 years but NEVER EVEN PLAYED IT.  I really was shocked when I did.  A lovely little fingersnapper, and while not as good as a couple of his other's, it's still well worth a listen

(Chubby Checker - You Better Believe It baby - not the Joe Tex song)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!