Inexpensive Records For Big Djs?

Ljblanken

i, of course, just spin for fun here in california - so i play just whatever strikes my fancy. something i got for $2 dollars or $200. no one cares because no one in my crowd knows soul any more rare than "baby love" by the supremes.

at the "big" events in england, however, do the DJs ever spin cheap/common records mixed in their set? (like i mean super cheap/common - like "right back where we started from" by maxine nightingale, or "be thankful for what you've got" by william devaugh) or is everything rare and pricey? what are the most cheapie/common things "top shelf" DJs play? do you ever get hassled for it?

just curious!

Social source share

i, of course, just spin for fun here in california - so i play just whatever strikes my fancy. something i got for $2 dollars or $200. no one cares because no one in my crowd knows soul any more rare than "baby love" by the supremes.

at the "big" events in england, however, do the DJs ever spin cheap/common records mixed in their set? (like i mean super cheap/common - like "right back where we started from" by maxine nightingale, or "be thankful for what you've got" by william devaugh) or is everything rare and pricey? what are the most cheapie/common things "top shelf" DJs play? do you ever get hassled for it?

just curious!

At non northern events it happens  all the time. Plenty of Djs don't have any rare records.

At northern / rare events, yes the odd ones fit in nicely. Admirations on One-Der-Ful, and The Performers on Mirwood are two I've slipped into sets in the last year. I know Chalky plays a lot of underplayed cheaper 60's stuff. But you couldn't play "Be Thankful" or stuff like "maxine Nightingale" at a northern night and walk away with your credibility in tact....they are handbaggers records!!!! :lol:

Edited by Steve G
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Dancrgettinspinz

Where do you spin in California?  I used to DJ in LA in the late 90's early 2000's.  I live in Ojai now, 20 mins inland from Ventura.

Been collecting top shelf soul for the past 4-5 years.  Can't get enough of it.  These English guys and gals sure know their soul

I'll say that.  Headed to Austin tomorrow for the ARC.  Can't wait.

Social source share

Think it was Mick Smith who played Ain't no mountain high enough at 100 club Anniversary a few years back, a great cheap track that you just wouldn't expect to hear played amongst the rarer stuff. Problem was you couldn't go to a night in the south for years after without some dj giving it a spin. If it's such a great record why didn't they ever play it out previously, ? Why the fcuk does a name DJ have to play something before others "dare" to play it ? :huh:   :g:

Don't think there was anything good about playing that track at a nighter. I would have been mortified. It's hardly northern is it? Just another collector who shouldn't be Djing in my humble opinion. Too many big name dj's going through the motions.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Really? C'mon, Mick has been packing dancefloors for more years than most and is a cornerstone to the London scene...and an influence to many.

I applaud a DJ throwing in a cheapie...for whatever reason...it usually puts smiles on faces, feet on a dancefloor and reminds folk that it is not just about the big money tunes. In fact, every DJ should chuck in a cheapie to spice things up and potentially shine the spotlight on a worthy forgotten/overlooked tune.

Fishing for responses Dave. Was a good one though.

Social source share

As "just another collector who shouldn't be DJing" I only play when asked to, or if no-one else is playing stuff I want to hear, run my own events. I play records I really love and think others might as well. I've never spent more than £125 for a record and most of my records probably cost under £5 (although the prices are creeping up nowadays). I,m constantly amazed when playing some great soul track, the amout of people running up to the decks and asking what it is, mainly from guys who I'd expect to know virtually everything in my box. And it hits home if I sell something, and regret it years later, to find a huge jump in price on a £1 record from a market or a £5 import from beating rhythm because the big boys may have picked up on it. I think the moral of the story is, play what you love, in among the classics and don't rely on just the established playlists full of overplayed, expensive trophy items. That's what keeps the scene interesting and music driven.

Steve G played "let me be a winner" an old Stafford track one Saturday at Yarmouth a few years back. I picked one up and played it out a couple of times and no one knew it and all loved it. If I go out I want to hear something different and new to me at least once or twice a night, or it's just another night out.

One I pushed to anyone who would listen was Johnny Adams-you're a bad habit baby, and from absolutely no-one knowing it (apart from Colin Dilnot who pushed it to me ten years earlier) it seemed to be on everyone's playlist for a time. Years ago I shoved Rhonda Davis-can you remember down everyone's necks and that did well. Eventually.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Fishing for responses Dave. Was a good one though.

In the absence of exclamation marks or smilie faces I had to believe that the original poster meant exactly what he wrote...and that's fine as everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

That said, I am happy to defend all the 100 Club Regular DJs for their enjoyable sets over the (many) years....even Irish Greg :) ...but naturally I'll have to draw the line at you mind Joel hohoho...see you over New Years hopefully :)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest northernsoul62

It depends on the venue.....i was introduced to northern soul about 82ish and i still love every tune that got me into the music.landslide,maxine nightingale,your ready now ,love on a mountain top..but when i played skiing in the the snow at a long running venue i got red carded.whats wrong with the invatations  ,then when i went to a venue in the east of uk (towie)i got called a soul snob for moaning that cds were being played...retired from the scene but still love the music but selling my priced collection.

Social source share

Guest northernsoul62

if i like a record i will dance.band of gold,it takes two,build me up buttercup,landslide,catch that teardrop,whats the problem oh a by the way one of my fav records is you,re ready now .....but i still like and own rarer stuff

Social source share

I  can speak from both sides here having been involved as a DJ playing pretty much all the top venues over the years and I  always tried to mix it up, when I first started playing things like Reggie Alexander, Curly Moore they were nothing records value wise just became popular over time which is what most DJ's set out to do, it should never be about the value of a tune more the standard and quality being up there however we all know that many of the better records are the big ticket items its just the way it is supply not meeting demand and all that, nothing better to place a little cheap gem something like Syl Johnson - Try Me next to a big ticket item and it working or better still over shadowing the big tunes.

Not really being too involved with DJ'ing anymore having moved on the big stuff when I do DJ the odd gig or at my own new venue in Hull I  do my best to maintain the quality over being worried how much the records are worth, it's great to hear all the rare stuff but so many records get passed by and over looked because they cost a fiver and that can't be right, think Curly Moore cost me  eight quid when I picked it up then bang up it went.  

Edited by Mark Bicknell
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

cheap,quality records are great when played amongst the big tunes,gives us poor folk a chance to build nice collections,i used to be ecstatic at stafford when the djs played cheap records in amongst the rare ones,willie harper-but i couldnt and almost persuaded-june conquest spring to mind and there a many thousands more,its a great feeling when you hear a record and think "i bet thats expensive" and then find out its only ten or fifteen quid ! big djs playing rare records are great but ive always admired djs pushing the cheaper,more available stuff

jason

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I  can speak from both sides here having been involved as a DJ playing pretty much all the top venues over the years and I  always tried to mix it up, when I first started playing things like Reggie Alexander, Curly Moore they were nothing records value wise just became popular over time which is what most DJ's set out to do, it should never be about the value of a tune more the standard and quality being up there however we all know that many of the better records are the big ticket items its just the way it is supply not meeting demand and all that, nothing better to place a little cheap gem something like Syl Johnson - Try Me next to a big ticket item and it working or better still over shadowing the big tunes.

Not really being too involved with DJ'ing anymore having moved on the big stuff when I do DJ the odd gig or at my own new venue in Hull I  do my best to maintain the quality over being worried how much the records are worth, it's great to hear all the rare stuff but so many records get passed by and over looked because they cost a fiver and that can't be right, think Curly Moore cost me  eight quid when I picked it up then bang up it went.  

And how good a record is Try Me?! I think the last time I saw Chalky we talked about what a great record this is. Absolutely brilliant.

Edited by corbett80
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

I've always played cheaper records (thanks Steve),

Then again I don't consider myself a big DJ......except round the waist :lol:

Sorry didn't mean it in a negative way - always interesting stuff played I think it's your trademark....

Second point - Nor do I, only an occasional northern DJ....

Social source share

It's a great pop record and the best record Ashford & Simpson ever wrote. In fact Nick auditioned for Motown with a demo of it having originally written it with Maxine Brown & Chuck Jackson in mind. 

Maybe it's just me but I am struggling to square it with an all nighter. But anniversary explains it. Dick Sniff is a good egg. Cheers.

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

Guest enchantedrythm

Think it was Mick Smith who played Ain't no mountain high enough at 100 club Anniversary a few years back, a great cheap track that you just wouldn't expect to hear played amongst the rarer stuff. Problem was you couldn't go to a night in the south for years after without some dj giving it a spin. If it's such a great record why didn't they ever play it out previously, ? Why the fcuk does a name DJ have to play something before others "dare" to play it ? :huh:   :g:

NIGHTMARE!!!!

Mick Smith, just a nightmare, should be ashamed

Social source share

Sometimes they can hit you in the face and remind you of what a snob you can be, musically speaking. NYE last year in Edinburgh, dancefloor heaving to stuff played by Yogi like Tear Stained Face, sounds I'll never ever own, and then he hits you with Show & Tell by Al Wilson. It sounded glorious, so much so much I logged onto Ebay there and then (sad git) and bought one, a UK demo for a fiver. One of those priceless moments in one's Soul career... :D

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Don't think there was anything good about playing that track at a nighter. I would have been mortified. It's hardly northern is it? Just another collector who shouldn't be Djing in my humble opinion. Too many big name dj's going through the motions.

Mick Smith, top collector, top DJ, top floor-filler and top bloke. Anything Mick plays is good enough for me.
Social source share

This isn't an off topic flag wave of cheap good sounds, but an on topic prove a point clip.

20 quid, never played out. Records that would be that good for that much, you must be able to count on the johnny fingers of one hand?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVk2eahL7Pw

Simsy - great track. I would call it medium-pace, somewhere between up-tempo and mid-tempo.
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Remember at one of the busy Manchester Ritz allnighters in the 1990's. 

Richard Searling was halfway through his spot of rare records when he played "Washed Ashore" by The Platters.  I don't think anyone was expecting it, the place just lifted a notch in atmosphere!! Great!

Social source share

Sorry didn't mean it in a negative way - always interesting stuff played I think it's your trademark....

Second point - Nor do I, only an occasional northern DJ....

No need to apologise as I realised you meant nothing negative by it. I also think the cheaper stuff are the more unknown as everyone chasing and talking about the rarer stuff and often ignoring some quality music.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

I too was there at the 100 that nite...and it was a special moment :-)

Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

Mick Smith, top collector, top DJ, top floor-filler and top bloke. Anything Mick plays is good enough for me.

Ditto. Can't believe anyone would come out with such nonsense against Mick.

Also, Mick is the absolute epitome of a collector who CAN cut it with the best DJs this scene has to offer. Unlike so many in my opinion. Top bloke.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!