Colin Areety - One Night Affair ( Deram )

Sunnysoul

Came across this obscure UK only version of the The O'Jays classic and was curious about the artist .

Not in the same league as the O'Jays or Jerry Butler but a reasonable version nonetheless

Seems Colin Areety was a black soul man from Liverpool in the 60's?

Anyone have any further information on him?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWomzzLQ-2w

Social source share

• Replies 3
  • Views 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Not a great deal aprt from a few references from some Merseybeat band that said they went into the studio with him and recorded four tracks that he promptly legged it with and they've never seen him or the tracks since. He wasnt the only soul singer from  Liverpool, Steve Aldo was and he's right up there in my UK Soulful great 45s! Seems that Colin was very well known around the Liverpool soul circuit and wasn't restrained when it came to jumping up on stage to join other artists playing like Inez & Charlie Foxx, top man!

Just found this "

Areety was a Liverpool singer, popular in the north-west from the 1960s on (apparently when Stevie Wonder played Liverpool on his first UK visit, Areety was invited onstage to jam with him) but who never quite made it to the national consciousness. He died a few years ago.  

Edited by TheBigO
Social source share

As Mike Vernon & the Olympic Runners were involved with his tracks, I'd guess it's almost certain that they were cut in rural North Oxfordshire (CameronCuntry) at Chipping Norton Studios. Mike Vernon was also working with the likes of Bloodstone at that time & some of their tracks were also laid down in Chipping Norton (as were numerous Olympic Runners things).

Info on the studios ........... https://www.chippingnortontown.info/CHIPPINGNORTON/RecordingStudios/tabid/1149/Default.aspx

When the studio closed they just put skips in the road out front & threw everything that couldn't be sold into the skips until the old building was totally cleared and ready for the site to be turned over to housing. A guy I worked with at the time (In Oxford) went skip diving and had a productive weekend up there in 1999. He told me that he pulled numerous acetates and similar items out of the studio skips but I never did find out if there was any tasty soul stuff amongst the bits he came away with.

Social source share

Can't add much to your query fact-wise, but I do remember the name Colin Areety and remember him getting Radio 1 airplay for a single he had out around 1970/71. I think it was a cover of Holy Cow which may also have picked up club spins too. What's on the flipside of your copy of "One Night Affair"?

Carl (Beatin Rhythm).

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert