Modern Soul And All Niters

I have just been reading Mark R's playlist on the Cleethorpes thread.... and i have to admit to knowing a total of 4 of the records that he listed. :D

Which .. if i'm honest ..has made me feel just a little embarassed about just how limited my knowledge actually is.

Which got me thinking....

When i first started going to niters in the early 80s ... never went to Wigan... so Stafford.. Leicester... Hinkley etc .... i used to know a lot of what Robin Salter, Adam etc were playing at the time.... and have to say liked a lot of it.... and could've probably had a conversation about it and have been able to hold my own ... to a point of course.

But it struck me while reading Mark's playlist just how much the modern scene has become a completely seperate scene of it's own ... compared to when i started going .. when it seemed to be more combined ... if you know what i mean.

But more to the point ... realising my total lack of knowledge on this subject has shocked me a little if i'm honest ... anybody else feel like me... or am i the only one?

Social source share

• Replies 49
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I know the modern scene inside out,tunes like Love factory will always get me wet :D ..I too really like quite a lot of modern stuff but aint got the time to listen to much...There is still so much 60s i know feck all about :D ..Its never ending aint it :D ..The word modern would mean anything 70s to us in the early days,i am sure it means a whole lot more now..I would like to hear some more too,always keep them ears open to new tunes...I think Baz and his mates will be into deep disco before too long..Good post Joan and look forward to feedback..Are we talking about mainly 70s stuff in the playlist still or 70s up to present day..

Social source share

I think Baz and his mates will be into deep disco before too long..Good post Joan and look forward to feedback..Are we talking about mainly 70s stuff in the playlist still or 70s up to present day..

:D Hell will freeze over first Steve :D

I will always say it i do like the odd bit of modern when im in the right mood, soulfulhouse and some of the 90's YK2 uptempo soul :D

Social source share

I love soul music and Mark played some great records I cannot for the life of me understand why people don't open their ears. I'm not saying they have to like it, but to just dismiss these records due to the date they were released is just ludicrous.

In My Opinion of course :D

Val

(Div) :D

Social source share

I love soul music and Mark played some great records I cannot for the life of me understand why people don't open their ears. I'm not saying they have to like it, but to just dismiss these records due to the date they were released is just ludicrous.

Val

Could it be that a lot of us have opened our ears, listened, and decided that the music played in Modern rooms bears so little relation to what we know as SOUL music, that it sounds no different to what is played in nightclubs all over the country, that we are not very interested ?

IMHO :D

Social source share

Guest ShaneH

Val

i don't think many people dismiss records due to the date of release. there is a huge difference in sound of typical 60s northern and Y2K. It's understandable why some love one and dislike the other. it's not a problem though.

there is plenty of choice and room for everybody.

Shane

Social source share

always use the argument that as at some northern events can hear anything with release dates from the 1950s right up to the modern day, could say its the "modern rooms" that maybe needs to open its ears more and throw away the calendar :)

Social source share

always use the argument that as at some northern events can hear anything with release dates from the 1950s right up to the modern day, could say its the "modern rooms" that maybe needs to open its ears more and throw away the calendar :)

I always thought the modern room was the one that had been decorated last :)

Steve

Social source share

Think the modern soul thing has been done to death - as usual the people who don't like it have the most to say. Problem is if they are fed "same old.same old" all the time & the thought of opening their minds to something new or different is beyond their comprehension. Where will your musical heads be in 20 years time - probably back where they were in 1974. For Christs sake move on.

PS - Love Factory is over 30 years old - it was a modern record ONCE.

Social source share

Think the modern soul thing has been done to death - as usual the people who don't like it have the most to say. Problem is if they are fed "same old.same old" all the time & the thought of opening their minds to something new or different is beyond their comprehension. Where will your musical heads be in 20 years time - probably back where they were in 1974. For Christs sake move on.

thats a bit strong post isn't it

can't say it reflects the mood of the thread and if anything will just drag out similar posts

perhaps instead of insulting people on here with worn out cliched arguments that smack of false one up manship you actually read the posts before kicking off

Social source share

Guest ShaneH

why should people move on?

why does progression have to be thru the decades?

why can't you just be into 60s/70s rare soul?

Shane

Edited by ShaneH
Social source share

Shane

In a perfect world we'd all be into 60's :) ****

**** Thats my perfect world any way :)

Social source share

Shane

wouldnt bother shane

just some old mecca head who one min brags about being around in 74 then next try slags off younger members for not being as hip as him

Social source share

Thanks for that. Now we know where we stand. :)

Social source share

thats a bit strong post isn't it

can't say it reflects the mood of the thread and if anything will just drag out similar posts

perhaps instead of insulting people on here with worn out cliched arguments that smack of false one up manship you actually read the posts before kicking off

Well said Mike.

Some people won't have it that the reason we don't want to move on is because we like it where we are. I'm sick of being called a dinosaur, an idiot, narrow minded twat etc just because I choose to like 60's music. I don't want to have my mind open by modern soul, I've tried it, didn't like it, so that's that.

Social source share

I too really like quite a lot of modern stuff but aint got the time to listen to much...There is still so much 60s i know feck all about :) ..Its never ending aint it :)

nail on head steve

i love 70s, 80s and later soul but i can't see myself ever really getting into it like i am into 60s because i only probably know 5% of the 60s stuff that was released and that's my real passion.

just haven't got the time any more.

re this 'move on' stuff, as others have said...why? if you happen to like all eras of soul music maybe you're lucky, there's more out there for you to listen to, if you don't, so what, no biggie.

Social source share

Could it be that a lot of us have opened our ears, listened, and decided that the music played in Modern rooms bears so little relation to what we know as SOUL music, that it sounds no different to what is played in nightclubs all over the country, that we are not very interested ?

IMHO :)

I guess it's either Modern Soul aka disco or 60T's/R & B aka shyte. Somebody

should go an nick all that unreleased Motown stuff and get it on the dancefloors

:)

Social source share

Woah woah boys ... :)

It just got me thinking that at Stafford the stuff that Robin used to play was really very well recieved, listened to AND appreciated by the 60s crowd ... that's all.

I like to think that i have a vague idea of a good record when i hear it.... some people may think i'm wrong there and that's fine by me .... and i'm predominately a 60s girl through and through... but there are more than a few records ... mighty fine ones at that ... that don't come from the 60s.

Also there wasn't this 'them' and 'us' mentality back then.... and the way some people cut others down for their preferred choice of listening is not needed ... imo of course...

Peace my friends :)

Social source share

Guest rachel

one up manship

Slightly unfortunate phrasing/spacing there Mike :)

Going back to Joan's original question, while I've not been around as long as many of you, I think I'm fairly well informed on the 60s - early 70s tunes (though still enormous amounts I don't know). When it comes to anything beyond that though, my knowledge is pretty limited - do the same when looking at modern playlists - and yes maybe that is because it's very much played seperately these days (without getting into the debate as to whether it should be or not!). And while I can't get as passionate about a lot of modern as I do about 60s-crossover-70s, there's a lot I'd like to know... too many tunes, not enough time :)

Social source share

Guest Dodger

Although I admit to saying it in the past, I do have a problem these days with people telling others to move on or open their minds. On occasions I think it, as old habits die hard, but I believe some folks should realise that most people like what they like, and accept that fact. If somebody told me to open my mind or broaden my musical horizons and accept for instance northern r&b I'd tell 'em to feck off because I think it's crap and I have no wish to 'open my mind' to it, period, and I'm sure it's the same for 60s affishynardo's when people tell them they should be liking modern and newer music - it's not a case of not having an open mind, it's simply a case of them not liking it. I'm not meaning to appear hypocritical, given some things I've spouted in past years, it's just a case of coming to understand and accept things a bit more.

One thing I do believe though is that if the seven inch single hadn't been phased out so much over the last 15 years as a medium for new release music, then I'm certain that many DJ's who were buying new music in the early 80s would have carried on doing so and playing it at venues and possibly slotting a percentage of new tunes into their sets on a regular basis so therefore the scene would have been constantly introduced to and drip fed new music and there wouldn't be so much of a division as there now is between the northern/crossover and contemporary modern soul scenes.

Just a few thoughts, no more than that. :)

Social source share

One thing I do believe though is that if the seven inch single hadn't been phased out so much over the last 15 years then many DJ's who were buying new music in the early 80s would have carried on doing so and playing it at venues and possibly slotting new tunes into their sets so therefore the scene would have been constantly introduced to and drip fed new music and there wouldn't be so much of a division as there now is between the northern/crossover and contemporary modern soul scenes.

Just a few thoughts, no more than that. :)

I agree with that Dodge - the decline of vinyl as a form has had a greater and negative impact on '80s sounds. Many collectors didn't make the move to 12" either so a suspicion crept into the scene. The 12" became associated with the 'disco boom' and never won the hearts and minds of the rare soul collector. Shame that becasue there are so many good rare soul records on 12"

Social source share

Woah woah boys ... :)

It just got me thinking that at Stafford the stuff that Robin used to play was really very well recieved, listened to AND appreciated by the 60s crowd ... that's all.

Peace my friends :D

That was of course over twenty years ago now Joan. And the music Robin was playing then, was current stuff, then. The music I hear being played now is current stuff now, and bears about as much relationship to what Robin played twenty years ago as..... well, need I say more :)

Social source share

wouldnt bother shane

just some old mecca head who one min brags about being around in 74 then next try slags off younger members for not being as hip as him

I do not profess to know the age of any member of this forum - indeed I think the scene does need younger people on it. How do we encourage them to join it? Don't think playing fourty odd year old records (in the main) will see them flocking.

I was not bragging about 1974 & it is nonsense to even suggest I was- it was just to highlight the fact that records then are still filling the dancefloors now

Some people read but don't see.

Social source share

Guest ShaneH

I do not profess to know the age of any member of this forum - indeed I think the scene does need younger people on it. How do we encourage them to join it? Don't think playing fourty odd year old records (in the main) will see them flocking.

I was not bragging about 1974 & it is nonsense to even suggest I was- it was just to highlight the fact that records then are still filling the dancefloors now

Some people read but don't see.

i reckon a few kids in their late teens would be more alarmed by seeing a dozen 45 year old fat geezers dancing to soulful house than dancing to 60s northern.

at least they may understand the retro, nostalgic slant on the 60s stuff. They would be wondering why you are listening to their club music on campsites near Blackpool :)

You see a lot more youngsters at RnB/early soul events that Y2K and that's for sure. So work that one out :)

Shane

Social source share

That was of course over twenty years ago now Joan. And the music Robin was playing then, was current stuff, then. The music I hear being played now is current stuff now, and bears about as much relationship to what Robin played twenty years ago as..... well, need I say more :)

Like i admitted right at the beginning Dave... i am totally ignorant as to what gets played in the modern room ...but had a vague idea back then....and i must admit to taking a wander into the modern room at Cleethorpes and saying to somebody ...

"So... is this kick arse modern then....cos if it is.... jeez.....?" :)

I reckon it must have something to do with people getting old ... cos from what i've observed ... it hardly takes a lot of effort to be into what was being played in there the few times i wandered in... compared to 60s ... well the kind of 60s i like anyway.... :D

Ever wished you'd just kept your big mouth shut .... :)

.....and where's that cut your wrist smiley when you need it .... who's the smiley mod :D

Social source share

................ I cannot for the life of me understand why people don't open their ears. I'm not saying they have to like it, but to just dismiss these records due to the date they were released is just ludicrous.

In My Opinion of course :)

Val

(Div) :)

QED...............that's all anyone could ever sensibly ask...........can't force folk, but lots of people dismiss without hearing..............you got it in a nutshell!

Cheers,

Mark R

Social source share

There's a lot of people on Soul Source who want to hear and collect the best from across the range of soul from late '50s to now. Shame that always seems to get derailed into a 60s versus modern dispute.

exactly

if look how this thread went

imo a genuine question and request which should have led to a few interesting replies and recommendations got took down the road of dispute mainly due to one post, a post by some self proclaimed "modern soul expert" taking it on himself to have a go at members

this is often the case on here, and to be blunt the people who do this at times do wind me up, as majority of time their posts show they havent a clue about the site, the members they are having a go at or the thread, never mind what a rolling eyes smily means :):)

Social source share

Like i admitted right at the beginning Dave... i am totally ignorant as to what gets played in the modern room ...but had a vague idea back then....and i must admit to taking a wander into the modern room at Cleethorpes and saying to somebody ...

"So... is this kick arse modern then....cos if it is.... jeez.....?" :)

I reckon it must have something to do with people getting old ... cos from what i've observed ... it hardly takes a lot of effort to be into what was being played in there the few times i wandered in... compared to 60s ... well the kind of 60s i like anyway.... :D

Ever wished you'd just kept your big mouth shut .... :)

.....and where's that cut your wrist smiley when you need it .... who's the smiley mod :)

Joan,

in past have caught lots of great recommendations on here from other members

hopefully some will follow which even if they dont ring your bell may be interesting

mike

Social source share

Nobody actually wants to know about it, that's probably why :)

Mike perhaps we should close every topic after the first reply - that would make for interesting reading wouln't it?

Genuinely I never intended to attack or insult anybody personally & it is unfair for you to suggest it.

I have given an opinion - sorry if I may have offended anybody.

Social source share

Joan,

hopefully some will follow which even if they dont ring your bell may be interesting

mike

You know me Mike ... the whole reason of me getting out of bed in the morning is that i might hear something that i haven't heard before.

All this 60s vs everything stuff just isn't my style.... was just stating the differences between the two rooms ... from a personal stand point that's all ... not putting down or bigging up either .. just an observation .... nothing more.

Social source share

Mike perhaps we should close every topic after the first reply - that would make for interesting reading wouln't it?

Genuinely I never intended to attack or insult anybody personally & it is unfair for you to suggest it.

I have given an opinion - sorry if I may have offended anybody.

I personally didn't see anything wrong with your post...maybe it was just me :) There was other posts that had me :)

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Joan,

mike

===============

Spent almost the entire weekend in the modern room, generally had no idea what tracks were being played, but know some of them were awesome. Sam, Arthur, Ivor etc loved all their sets. Listened to Marks and it was different in style, (don't know enough to explain how) but still managed to dance to it. Think the main bone of contention amongst the modern fraternity is that it is all too easily dismissed. Personally I think it has far more relevance forward thinking wise than R&B

Winnie:-)

Social source share

I personally didn't see anything wrong with your post...maybe it was just me :) There was other narow minded sixties only posts that had me :)

get out of it, both of you :D

come on stop back pedalling, it was a pure, angry out and out "i'm into modern and anyone not into it is a dinosaurs" post

or what did "for christ sake move on" mean, ... some gospel house newie

Social source share

exactly

if look how this thread went

imo a genuine question and request which should have led to a few interesting replies and recommendations got took down the road of dispute mainly due to one post, a post by some self proclaimed "modern soul expert" taking it on himself to have a go at members

this is often the case on here, and to be blunt the people who do this at times do wind me up, as majority of time their posts show they havent a clue about the site, the members they are having a go at or the thread, never mind what a rolling eyes smily means :):)

I think that sums it up well. The members on here represent what is quite a musically diverse scene, which is great... be a dull old life if we all liked the same.

It pisses me off though when people decide to try and "educate" the rest of us by telling us we don't move on or we are somehow inferior in a particular region if we don't attend a certain event. I can never see the need for people to call a genre they don't happen to like shite, either! :angry:

Social source share

I think that sums it up well. The members on here represent what is quite a musically diverse scene, which is great... be a dull old life if we all liked the same.

It pisses me off though when people decide to try and "educate" the rest of us by telling us we don't move on or we are somehow inferior in a particular region if we don't attend a certain event. I can never see the need for people to call a genre they don't happen to like shite, either! :angry:

============

I agree with that Dave, how many times have you seen the difinitive answer on here. It's all about personal preference and a lot of people fail to recognise that IMO. Liking modern, oldies, R&B doesn't make anyone wrong, it's a diverse scene and thats that really.

I would say the way to educate is too say lets accept there are different forms of music on the scene, we don't have to like everything played, but at least acknowledge others do.

Winnie:-)

PS. Taffy also played a great spot in the modern room, just mentioned that cos I've always liked the stuff he plays :)

Social source share

I have just been reading Mark R's playlist on the Cleethorpes thread.... and i have to admit to knowing a total of 4 of the records that he listed. :ohmy:

Which .. if i'm honest ..has made me feel just a little embarassed about just how limited my knowledge actually is.

Which got me thinking....

When i first started going to niters in the early 80s ... never went to Wigan... so Stafford.. Leicester... Hinkley etc .... i used to know a lot of what Robin Salter, Adam etc were playing at the time.... and have to say liked a lot of it.... and could've probably had a conversation about it and have been able to hold my own ... to a point of course.

But it struck me while reading Mark's playlist just how much the modern scene has become a completely seperate scene of it's own ... compared to when i started going .. when it seemed to be more combined ... if you know what i mean.

But more to the point ... realising my total lack of knowledge on this subject has shocked me a little if i'm honest ... anybody else feel like me... or am i the only one?

A very interesting thread.

Let me indulge in a couple of observations:

Mark has always been a DJ to play new records and full credit to him for that.

When I first started on the northern scene I didn't know any of the records - and that was one of the main attractions I must say - a completely unknown set of music to explore and discover.

And so it is with new releases - you never know what's in new this week - so there is a kind of constant anticipation.

With regard to the modern versus 70's debate.......

As time goes on 70's / Xover sits less and less comfortably with modern soul. For a number of years now - especially at weekenders I have watched as DJ's have tried to bridge the gap with mixed sets, but have felt increasingly uncomfortable with a number of them - including myself. Bluntly it's not working. At this point as others have said 70s / x-over music has far more in common with northern than it does with 2006 new releases. Yet this form of music is largely shunned and unwanted by the northern fraternity (except for some really played out stuff which has "crossed over" onto the northern scene).

So my view on all this - whilst I accept that some people like both genres crossover and 70s doesn't sit comfortably in the large "modern room" format at weekenders either, possibly except for some anthemic oldies in the last hour or two. Thus I reiterate what I have said on another thread new 70's and crossover would be better catered for with a seperate room at this point, rather than trying to keep these increasingly odd bedfellows together. This would allow the "modern room" to really focus on newer releases as it does at places like the Bass Museum. It would also allow the new x-over / 70's folks a real outlet to her new and lesser played items.....Soul on, Sam....oops...no I made that last bit up! :lol:

Social source share

If you go to virtually any out and out oldies night in the Midlands (and elsewhere i would guess) have a guess what fills the floor more than almost any other. yes Drizabone Pressure crazy but true

I quite like that one...though not at northern venues

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

I do not profess to know the age of any member of this forum - indeed I think the scene does need younger people on it. Don't think playing fourty odd year old records (in the main) will see them flocking.

Why not? Most of the records i was listening to when i was 16 were twenty odd years old. Most of the young crowd in the early 80s were born in the 60s i image and the music we listened to then was not in the charts, on radio 1, or on the TV, it was decades old. Why assume that young people today only listen to music that came out last week or a few months ago. I think it's pretty condescending towards them to suggest they can't enjoy music from 40 years ago.

Personally i don't have a problem with modern but i'm not sure i agree it's a progressive soul with a lineage straight back to the 60s. I don't think modern soul has any more to do with 60s soul, R&B or 70s disco than rock and roll or country and western.

If you like it, fair enough, but i reckon we should get away from thinking it's the natural successor to the soul of the past. It's a different music genre entirely IMO. I think that's why the 60s crowd have such a problem with it, they get told, 'If you like soul why don't you like modern?' It's like saying you like dogs so why don't you like cats?

Just my two penneth worth... :ohmy:

Social source share

Why not? Most of the records i was listening to when i was 16 were twenty odd years old. Most of the young crowd in the early 80s were born in the 60s i image and the music we listened to then was not in the charts, on radio 1, or on the TV, it was decades old. Why assume that young people today only listen to music that came out last week or a few months ago. I think it's pretty condescending towards them to suggest they can't enjoy music from 40 years ago.

Just my two penneth worth... :ohmy:

Seems my two penneth has upset some people - please point out to me anywhere in this thread I have been condescending towards any young person. I was 16 when I first went to a major Northern Soul gig (Mike knows the one :lol: ). Please tell me of any gig happening now where a LARGE number of under 20s attend.

Social source share

Guest kid mohair

modern is not for me and thats a fact, ive tried listening to it and it dont do a thing, one of my best mates is a modern dj and thats adam, which i have a lot of respect for and i would never say it is crap to someone who is into it, :lol: but i sometimes wonder how it happens you get to your style of music, 60s,70s,modern,rnb, etc, and sort of stick to it,i might be wrong but i am 60s and rnb, and not interested in any thing else,and i really cant see any change, unless .... no, theres no unless :lol: i suppose its all soul.. :ohmy:

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

i reckon a few kids in their late teens would be more alarmed by seeing a dozen 45 year old fat geezers dancing to soulful house than dancing to 60s northern.

at least they may understand the retro, nostalgic slant on the 60s stuff. They would be wondering why you are listening to their club music on campsites near Blackpool :ohmy:

You see a lot more youngsters at RnB/early soul events that Y2K and that's for sure. So work that one out :lol:

Shane

you are bang on there shane , i think it's because it is immediate , catchy and ball grabbing (pardon the expression ) and it provokes an opinion , you either love it or hate it .

modern however is a shrug of the shoulder with a "whatever" and a lot of it is harmless with no immediate impact .

i think those who think we should "progress" should worry about themselves and go and progress into whatever they like and leave the ones "left behind" to do what we enjoy which in my case is 50's/60's rnb and 60's soul music .

Social source share

Personally i don't have a problem with modern but i'm not sure i agree it's a progressive soul with a lineage straight back to the 60s. I don't think modern soul has any more to do with 60s soul, R&B or 70s disco than rock and roll or country and western.

:ohmy: Struggling with this one Matt.

What about the artists that have been recording for 40 years or so.Aretha Franklin,Gladys Knight,The Dells.Dionne Warwick,Rance Allen to name a few.Surely they have evolved and changed through the decades as Soul music has? I think you can track any of those artists lineage back to the sixties.

In the latter days of Wigan when the new release stuff( Charles Johnson,Eloise Laws,Bobby Womack,Keni Burke etc) were getting played back to back with the likes of John and The Weirdest,Little Anne,Yvonne Vernee the time span was probably 12 to 15 years,between the era's.Now it's 40 years,it's a chasm,and I don't think you could play Magaret Little back to back with Blaze or MAW and get away with it!

There a still a couple of uptempo tunes that have crossed over into the northern rooms and a couple of retro sounding tunes like Angel Rissoff,but as Roger said in an earlier post that the format has a lot do with very few new release stuff getting played.

Maybe the gap between the genre's is so vast now,that it's inevitable the Modern and Northern scene's go their seperate way's.

My penny's worth,for what it's worth :lol:

Cheers

Pete

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

...Speaking as one who likes and buys all sorts of soul records and all sorts of soul music, I was very disappointed with the DJ playlists in the "Modern Room" at this year's Cleethorpes.

Sure, I heard plenty of "Modern" in what most of them played - I just didn't hear a whole lot of "Soul" to go with it. (Honorable exceptions being Sam and Ivor, who at least tried to balance their sets rather than playing endless 120BPM thump - although Ivor did play the ugliest record I head all weekend, that dreadful Kirk Franklin thing that samples Patrice Rushen's "Haven't You Heard" - which I admit I would much rather have heard!!!) Still, being the "Modern Room" rather than the "Modern Soul Room" I guess its music policy didn't contravene the trades descriptions act :ohmy: .

At the end of the day I didn't come away from the room with a desire to buy anything I heard that I didn't already have, and that really was a disappointment - and far removed from the lists of things that I used to write down and salivate over in the heyday of Modern Soul do's ...

Hope this comes over as the reasoned opinion of someone who's at least trying to see the picture from all angles, rather than a curmudgeonly stick in the mud...

TONE :lol:

Social source share

Hope this comes over as the reasoned opinion of someone who's at least trying to see the picture from all angles, rather than a curmudgeonly stick in the mud...

TONE :ohmy:

I mark you right Tone, thought I didn't hear complete sets of any of the DJ's, only parts - preferring to spent large swathes of my time on Saturday in the record bar (there is only so much 120 bpm megamixes that I can tolerate). Re this house / garage point - I think that's largely the way the modern scene has gone now, but that's why I think it's futile trying to mix in good 70's etc. in the same room. My observation is that the guys playing the new stuff don't tend to be the guys breaking new 70's. Was there much southern / indie played in the modern room? I know a number of modern fans find the indies "boring" but I don't.

Social source share

Guest trickbag

two from mark and two from joan,both soulful in their,own respect.

different eras,different styles, but artists who were around, and started

what wer bickering about,the northern style,personaly i can listen to both,

so lets get on with the music and each other, stop trying to ram your music

down someones elses throat,i love northern soul,if you dont thats fine.

ricky.

sock it to em shorty.

Marvin_Gaye___Where_Are_You_Going.mp3

Bobby_Womack___Trust_Your_Heart.mp3

Buddy_Lamp___Next_Best_Thing.mp3

Fiestas_20__20Think_20Smart.mp3

Social source share

....opened our ears, listened, and decided that the music played in Modern rooms bears so little relation to what we know as SOUL music, that it sounds no different to what is played in nightclubs all over the country.....

..and many original 60s Tracks were not that different to the 'Pop Soul', and, in quite a few cases, sung by the same artists, they just got lost in the Commercial Music World of the 60s(so much material)-the same happens today-look at some of the work on 'Soul Patrol'-I doubt if many of the artists featured on there would get played in 'nightclubs all over the country'

would the kids be alarmed? not all 45 Yr-olds are 'Fat Geezers', thanks-and some of us are fast, not FAT, movers!!....

..........and may even have danced to Soulful House-(TMG;the house of the 60s??)

...and finally, would, of course, have been at the 'Wheel, aged 8!!!!!!

Within the 'faithful', we all have different tastes; that diversity is what keeps this scene alive... :D

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert