Marian Love

Roburt

As a track by this lady has just got a mention on another thread, thought I'd post up some info on her & her recordings.

Born in St Louis in 1946, she started out singing in a group (the Love Sisters) with three of her sisters. When they dropped out of the entertainment world, she continued on as a solo singer, initially performing jazz numbers. She cut for Capitol in the mid to late 60's and then for A&R around 1971. She then seemed to go all country and recorded for Mercury and then Warner Brothers (where she cut in Memphis with Chips Moman & Buddy Killen).

post-22122-0-57487400-1382397888_thumb.j

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Her first recordings were made on the west coast but in the 70's she 'went darnsowf' to cut more tracks (which is probably why they were a lot more country in style to her 60's & 71 stuff). She was a bit of a 'looker' back in the day and that must have helped her progress as a singer.

However, she'd had enough of that world by the mid 70's and followed her other sisters into the education field.

post-22122-0-87539700-1382398039_thumb.j

Social source share

Never heard her version of "Go Now". She cut this early in 1971 for A&R, presumably in the New York area.

Her A&R tracks were produced by Tony May who was related to (& at times worked with) Larry & Bessie Banks.

Is her take on "Go Now" a decent version ?? 

post-22122-0-88569900-1382398588_thumb.j

Social source share

Probably a question than only the likes of Robb K can answer ...........

how come the Morris Bailey song that formed the B side to her take on Jerry Butler's "Can't Forget About You Baby" (a October 69 Capitol 45) was published by Jobete.

I don't recall Morris Bailey being signed to Jobete (unless he was for a short time when Motown had it's NY office).

post-22122-0-20553200-1382399993_thumb.j

• Helpful 1
Social source share

how come the Morris Bailey song that formed the B side to her take on Jerry Butler's "Can't Forget About You Baby" (a October 69 Capitol 45) was published by Jobete.

I don't recall Morris Bailey being signed to Jobete (unless he was for a short time when Motown had it's NY office).

"Cant forget about you baby"....just sublime soul I think. Thanks for the information so far by the way as this is the only record I have by her so far and will be looking for more in future for sure :thumbsup: ...

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Her Mercury & Warner Bros tracks are much more country in style than her earlier recordings. This makes them popular with Southern Soul fans but  lots of em are just too country for me.

However, both sides of her Mercury 45 put out in August 1972  - "I Want To (Do Everything For You) / Nobody But You" - are well worth chasing IMHO.

I believe her Mercury sides (which were also done with Buddy Killen) were laid down in Muscle Shoals. 

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

Good guess, Roburt.  That's the only song by Bailey that I know of published by Jobete Music.  So, like you, I'd guess that he wrote it as part of Jobete's New York staff.  A lot of New York's prominent Soul music writers moved in the same circles as George Kerr and Sidney Barnes, George Clinton and Gene Redd, Jr. (J.J. Jackson, Juggy Murray, Moe Bailey).  

Social source share

Guest veep1296

I have her LP  "  A Groovy Kind Of Love " on Capitol with several " standards" on...Look Of Love, I Who Have Nothing, Every Day I Have The Blues, Sunny etc & also "Walk Proud & Pretty "

She does a great version of "The Right To Cry" on a 45 too....

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!