Are "hand Baggers" Taking Over This Scene?

Guest nsoulxx

It was different reg. Much better this time, great atmosphere, some really good sets. Nowhere will ever be as good as the memories of when we were young. It's why people who went to Wigan go on about that, because it was their first experiences of it all, but there's no point comparing it to then otherwise we'll live a life of being forever disappointed and fed up.

I really enjoyed it and I couldn't stop smiling cos it's a great venue. Even big ass couldn't spoil it.

They have the screens at Stoke and other places and they're great for advertising venues, as well as showing what's coming up next. Stopped me missing out on favourites by going to the loo as always seems to happen!!

Social source share

I thought  the screens at lot's of events nowadays were more to do with letting the collectors (or anyone that's interested) among the audience see that it really is that elusive rarity that you can hear loud and clear, and not some dodgy bootleg, never really thought it was actually to tell anyone what it's called or who sings it :ohmy::thumbsup:

Edited by Pete60
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Pete you don't really think that do you? Do you think the average punter at that kind of do would give a rat's ass about ovo? Really?

Anyway I know Jules/nsoulxx likes it there,I am just not really into that kind of thing so will agree to disagree :-)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Pete you don't really think that do you? Do you think the average punter at that kind of do would give a rat's ass about ovo? Really?

Anyway I know Jules/nsoulxx likes it there,I am just not really into that kind of thing so will agree to disagree :-)

Yes I do :thumbsup: I certainly don't think the screens are there to tell folk what the tune is :)

Edited by Pete60
Social source share

I am not convinced. What next a Northern soul app for your phone that tells you what the record is? Whatever happened to pestering the dj and a dog eared note book.

The screens aren't there to tell the customers what the record is called or who sings it, whether you are convinced or not doesn't really matter, some of the countries major collectors/DJs have expressed they like the idea, why wouldn't they enjoy showing off their prized 45's?  The thought that they might be there for educational purposes never crossed my mind, and I'm sure the promoters on here who use the screens would find the thought ridiculous, I could be wrong and will happily stand being corrected,

Shazam is an app on your phone that will tell you what most tunes are, and has been for some years :thumbsup:

Edited by Pete60
Social source share

I am not convinced. What next a Northern soul app for your phone that tells you what the record is? Whatever happened to pestering the dj and a dog eared note book.

.......The days of the "dog eared note book" are long gone mate - It's now just "pestering the dj" I'm afraid.......

Len :thumbsup: 

Edited by LEN
Social source share

I've been waiting for whoever has events where they put the records on a screen to give the actual reason for doing so - I'm not saying it's a bad or good thing, it certainly doesn't offend me. I think it's just a gimmick to add 'something' to an event - Nothing wrong in that (I prefer the Glitter Ball myself though)

An 'aside' note - As a D.J, I have welcomed these new Electric Cigarettes - God I missed smoking two fags at a time when D.Jing :wink: 

All the best,

Edited by LEN
Social source share

Guest Phil Armstrong

I've been waiting for whoever has events where they put the records on a screen to give the actual reason for doing so - I'm not saying it's a bad or good thing, it certainly doesn't offend me. I think it's just a gimmick to add 'something' to an event - Nothing wrong in that (I prefer the Glitter Ball myself though)

An 'aside' note - As a D.J, I have welcomed these new Electric Cigarettes - God I missed smoking two fags at a time when D.Jing :wink: 

All the best,

Len,

Wait no more

You have it 100% correct the screen I  put up that displays the record on one of the decks is just a little bit of production or gimmick, nothing more nothing less, though it does help with the OVO, never thought in a million years it could cause offence.

Don't know if a survey has every been done to find out, I could be misguided in thinking these are adding a little something to events when they are actually pissing everybody off such as is the case with Reg.

At least I only have a camera on one deck so there is no prior warning on what is about to be played on the other.

Cheers   Phil

Social source share

Guest BENSON BOY

At Oxford Soul Club last time out a group of maybe 17 students turned up .................one of the promoters had a little word in one of the girls ears about dancefloor protocol.............told her noone would pinch their handbags and no drinks on the floor .....................they were so open minded musically they had a brilliant night and will be back ................thats what is needed imho.

Regards 

Julie.

At Oxford,we very often get students of all nationalities,most of them would have experienced the typical club scenario you get in all major cities,hold on to your drinks,handbag and coat.We have a great relationship with all newcomers to the scene at Oxford,we welcome them at the front door explain the dance floor protocol they take it all on board,once they see other dancers who know what the protocol, is they go for it and enjoy themselves.The group of students Julie refers to are from an Art study group new nothing about "Northern soul "musically and dance wise,through the evening we spent time talking to them (when they weren't dancing ),and they stayed through to the end of the evening and in their words had a fabulous time.We play music across the board,our guest dj on the night was Dave Greet,anyone who knows Dave's box knows it's full of top dollar tunes,musically it was one of the best nights we have ever had and the students danced to everything that was played all night.We were not judge mental on their dancing,and in return,they were not judge mental on the music.

It was a fabulous night,everybody left happy.Job done.

Maz

Oxford soul club

Social source share

At Oxford,we very often get students of all nationalities,most of them would have experienced the typical club scenario you get in all major cities,hold on to your drinks,handbag and coat.We have a great relationship with all newcomers to the scene at Oxford,we welcome them at the front door explain the dance floor protocol they take it all on board,once they see other dancers who know what the protocol, is they go for it and enjoy themselves.The group of students Julie refers to are from an Art study group new nothing about "Northern soul "musically and dance wise,through the evening we spent time talking to them (when they weren't dancing ),and they stayed through to the end of the evening and in their words had a fabulous time.We play music across the board,our guest dj on the night was Dave Greet,anyone who knows Dave's box knows it's full of top dollar tunes,musically it was one of the best nights we have ever had and the students danced to everything that was played all night.We were not judge mental on their dancing,and in return,they were not judge mental on the music.

It was a fabulous night,everybody left happy.Job done.

Maz

Oxford soul club

And a brilliant Club it is too :thumbup:  run by like minded ppl as myself (Good or Bad lol )  :wicked: see you on the 7th December  :hatsoff2:

Regards 

Julie  :D x

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Hiya Phil.

Maybe I have got the wrong end of the stick re the screens. In my cantankarous mind I 'm thinking it's a cheat, there are so many blag merchants out there anyway they don't need any extra help. But a couple of you have said that it is just to prove you are playing the real thing...although some boots do look damn good these days so I'm not so sure about that :-)

Maybe it curbs the mitherers from hassling the djs at places like Stoke, Who knows.

I guess if the punters like it fair enough :-)

Best

Reg :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Phil Armstrong

Hiya Phil.

Maybe I have got the wrong end of the stick re the screens. In my cantankarous mind I 'm thinking it's a cheat, there are so many blag merchants out there anyway they don't need any extra help. But a couple of you have said that it is just to prove you are playing the real thing...although some boots do look damn good these days so I'm not so sure about that :-)

Maybe it curbs the mitherers from hassling the djs at places like Stoke, Who knows.

Best

Hi Reg,

There no saying you have got the wrong end of the stick, it could be that a lot of people don't like the screens, I've never really heard any comments previously for or against them.  It could be the same with the other screen I have displaying various flyers of soul events, these could very easily be getting on people nerves, never heard comments on these either.

This is a good example of what makes these forums so important , you can continue doing thinks you think people want only to find out they don't.

Cheers   Phil

Social source share

Hi Reg,

There no saying you have got the wrong end of the stick, it could be that a lot of people don't like the screens, I've never really heard any comments previously for or against them.  It could be the same with the other screen I have displaying various flyers of soul events, these could very easily be getting on people nerves, never heard comments on these either.

This is a good example of what makes these forums so important , you can continue doing thinks you think people want only to find out they don't.

Cheers   Phil

I do think a bit too much Phil so don't let it concern you too much :)

Social source share

Guest nsoulxx

Bottom line-Parr Hall is really good.

Pisspots are a way of English life and every so often they'll get in.

Every so often, Reg and I have been piss pots ourselves. Reg- Radcliffe????!!!!! Manchester Mod Weekender????!!! :hypo:

I know we're still not as annoying as some of the ones we've mentioned but stop this being about Parr Hall because I'll bet if you asked virtually everyone who went on Saturday, we'll all tell you it was a great night.

Social source share

Bottom line-Parr Hall is really good.

Pisspots are a way of English life and every so often they'll get in.

Every so often, Reg and I have been piss pots ourselves. Reg- Radcliffe????!!!!! Manchester Mod Weekender????!!! :hypo:

I know we're still not as annoying as some of the ones we've mentioned but stop this being about Parr Hall because I'll bet if you asked virtually everyone who went on Saturday, we'll all tell you it was a great night.

I am sure it was brilliant..........nostalgia alert.....

Edited by Reg
Social source share

Hiya Phil.

Best

My last comment on this, I don't remember saying the screens 'proved' anything, merely that those that are interested can see the said 45 and if they know/trust the DJ they will know it's for real,

Those that don't even know the title/artist will only want to know what it is when they hear it, at which time it will be spinning at 45RPM so if they want to know anything they will ask the DJ anyway,

It's a bit of fun that kinda adds something to the night, or as Phil suggests maybe it doesn't, but there is no way it could be used as an educational tool,

Edited by Pete60
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Hi Reg,

Cheers   Phil

I like em :)

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!