Sam Cox, Life Is Love, Renfro

Think it was Guy...the copy he played was cracked...it's still in his DJ box now complete with tape marks!

Fabulous grinding Northern...the flip is also worth a listen, as Des pointed out.

Thought it would go higher last time it was on Mannie's auction...not the easiest disc to pick up, so maybe currently undervalued?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

One that I've been trying to buy for years now, I want it for the flip, so if anybodys got one with L.I.L. in bad condition I'll happily buy that :-)

wishful thinking

(btw, I saw it on a list, maybe Tim B? - for 300 but thought that was too much so left it)

Social source share

Never knew this track, only just heard it, love it.

Who/where did this first get spins?

Does it still get spins?

What a mega tune this is IMO.

West Coast I presume then?

Did he do anything else?

Yes.  All of the cuts on Anthony Renfro's Renfro Records were recorded in L.A.

Social source share

One that I've been trying to buy for years now, I want it for the flip, so if anybodys got one with L.I.L. in bad condition I'll happily buy that :-)

wishful thinking

(btw, I saw it on a list, maybe Tim B? - for 300 but thought that was too much so left it)

'For home play only' (!)  - 'Destination' is on Kents Renfro Story!!!

Edited by harrogatesoul
Social source share

'For home play only' (!)  - 'Destination' is on one of those Connoisseur reissue 45s. #504. Shouldn't be no more than a tenner at the most I would have thought. 

Thanks for the info. Do you mean the Connoisseur label that Buddy Smith got issued on, or some other one? I've a feeling I've seen a pale label with green writing on, possibly George Hibson or a similar track on this other label?

on a tangent, Is there a track listing for the blue Connoisseur label? Seem to remember a version of Genie, poss by Pat Lewis, ??

Social source share

'For home play only' (!)  - 'Destination' is on one of those Connoisseur reissue 45s. #504. Shouldn't be no more than a tenner at the most I would have thought. 

Or you could get the Kent CD with it on for about the same price and have Bobby Wisdom, Morris Chestnut, The Stunners, Carl Henderson, Young Brothers and Sequins-just a thought :thumbsup:

Social source share

Here's a scan of the tuva side of this 45 ....... 1 cut from United Artists, 1 from Renfro, shouts BOOT to me .....

... about a dozen 45's on the label, usually different artists on each side. Again shouts BOOT to me ......

post-22122-0-78681500-1380869137_thumb.j

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

Or you could get the Kent CD with it on for about the same price and have Bobby Wisdom, Morris Chestnut, The Stunners, Carl Henderson, Young Brothers and Sequins-just a thought :thumbsup:

i got that weird ITP CD when it came out, did they purchase the renfro catalog outright at the time?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!