John Ellison Of "sbs", In North Wales Last Night

Soul-chef

Just want to say, what a great night we had in North Wales last night with the

"Soul Brothers Six"  lead man, John Ellison....... This man is just "pure class"......

If you get the chance, then it's well worth checking him out @ Blackburn "Tonight"

or in Derby & Reading tomorrow (Sunday).... You will not be disappointed......Chico... :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Just want to say, what a great night we had in North Wales last night with the

"Soul Brothers Six"  lead man, John Ellison....... This man is just "pure class"......

If you get the chance, then it's well worth checking him out @ Blackburn "Tonight"

or in Derby & Reading tomorrow (Sunday).... You will not be disappointed......Chico... :thumbsup:

So good to hear how good this one was - remaining dates destined to be exceptional.
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I was there.  What an exceptional voice this guy had.  Pure soul.  If you have bought tickets for the remainder of his shows you will not be disappointed.

As it happens I was standing on the High Street in Conwy at lunchtime telling Little Glyn what a brilliant night he'd missed when who comes strolling up the road none other than John Ellison.  Had another opportunity to tell him what an enjoyable night he had given us.  Chatted for a few minutes.  A true gentleman.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

John arrived late in Reading tonight after a long time consuming journey from Derby .... BUT ... that didn't stop him delivering of his best and putting on a great show for the disappointingly smallish audience.

If you could have attended his Reading show & decided to stay home instead, you made the WRONG decision.

post-22122-0-45171700-1380502996_thumb.j

• Helpful 1
Social source share

John arrived late in Reading tonight after a long time consuming journey from Derby .... BUT ... that didn't stop him delivering of his best and putting on a great show for the disappointingly smallish audience.

If you could have attended his Reading show & decided to stay home instead, you made the WRONG decision.

Agree Roburt, would have loved to have gone after a weekend with parents etc. but a 5 a.m start Monday morning is a killer......How many were there roughly? How small a crowd? What about Blackburn and Derby? Reports please. Hope he got a big British soul welcome at those venues..... :yes:

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

Agree Roburt, would have loved to have gone after a weekend with parents etc. but a 5 a.m start Monday morning is a killer......How many were there roughly? How small a crowd? What about Blackburn and Derby? Reports please. Hope he got a big British soul welcome at those venues..... :yes:

He was well received by a large and appreciative crowd at Blackburn.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

John was simply fantastic.

Unless it's a Weekender, this type of talent will never be fully appreciated.  

Bangor by all accounts was pretty good, Blackburn was well attended, Derby was luke warm and a small crowd in Reading.

Sad to say, most of the Northern fraternity want to dance to 'I'll Be Lovin You' not witness the original lead singer performing it live.

Our thanks to......Steve Thomas, Alan Jones, Richard Searling, Stuart Heap, Derek Mead, Keith Banks and Martin Fuggles.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

John was simply fantastic.

Unless it's a Weekender, this type of talent will never be fully appreciated.  

Bangor by all accounts was pretty good, Blackburn was well attended, Derby was luke warm and a small crowd in Reading.

Sad to say, most of the Northern fraternity want to dance to 'I'll Be Lovin You' not witness the original lead singer performing it live.

Our thanks to......Steve Thomas, Alan Jones, Richard Searling, Stuart Heap, Derek Mead, Keith Banks and Martin Fuggles.

I can honestly say that this was not the case in Bangor,where all John's performance went down equally as well.

I felt so honoured to be part of the dj line up on the night and to meet John in person and appreciate his talent.

:) John Elias 

Edited by dancingcollector
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I think the NYC guys and probably our own Dave Box do it for the love of the music and are in reality philanthropists for some of their gigs.

This was very true last year at Soul Essence when Richard Caiton appeared as a bonus guest to celebrate a significant anniversary - greatly appreciated by the crowd.

Edited by Mike Lofthouse
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

John's also big in food circles up in Canada and US northern border areas these days as these pieces illustrate ...........

.... his company has a fantastic name; the SOME KIND OF WONDERFUL Food Company.

https://www.buffalonews.com/business/will-poultry-co-offers-a-food-show-with-a-dash-of-fame-20130917

https://www.hamiltonnews.com/community/rev-john-c-holland/

Edited by Roburt
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Picked this up a few weeks ago:

I got that ("You'd Better Check Yourself") back in the Twisted Wheel days (bought it from F L Moores for about 6/- I seem to recall).

I think it was even played at the Wheel in 68, though I may just have been put onto it by a mate who I met up with at the Wheel (we used to play 45's on discatrons in the car park behind the club for about an hour after morning club throwing-out time).

The group had cut some tracks in their home town of Rochester & a 45 had been released on Fine Records. They were later spotted performing in a local club by Philly based Walter Rayfield & he convinced them to travel over to Philly to record some tracks for his Lyndell label. They did this & on the journey John wrote "Some Kind of Wonderful". They cut tracks for Lyndell but their 45 wasn't doing anything. A local DJ heard their other songs and got Jerry Wexler of Atlantic to sign the group. They went back into the studio to cut the tracks for Atlantic, "Check Yourself" being the first one that they were asked to cut. But "... Wonderful" came out so well, it was issued as the plug side of their 1st Atlantic 45 and it took off immediately.

Social source share

I got that ("You'd Better Check Yourself") back in the Twisted Wheel days (bought it from F L Moores for about 6/- I seem to recall).

I think it was even played at the Wheel in 68, though I may just have been put onto it by a mate who I met up with at the Wheel (we used to play 45's on discatrons in the car park behind the club for about an hour after morning club throwing-out time).

The group had cut some tracks in their home town of Rochester & a 45 had been released on Fine Records. They were later spotted performing in a local club by Philly based Walter Rayfield & he convinced them to travel over to Philly to record some tracks for his Lyndell label. They did this & on the journey John wrote "Some Kind of Wonderful". They cut tracks for Lyndell but their 45 wasn't doing anything. A local DJ heard their other songs and got Jerry Wexler of Atlantic to sign the group. They went back into the studio to cut the tracks for Atlantic, "Check Yourself" being the first one that they were asked to cut. But "... Wonderful" came out so well, it was issued as the plug side of their 1st Atlantic 45 and it took off immediately.

The pictured is a Jamaican press.

Social source share

When I asked John a while back about his Atlantic "Philly" recordings he couldn't remember for definite where all the Atlantic 45s were recorded? But he seemed to think it was Sigma. There is also solid provenance that they were actually recorded at Atlantic in New York. Certainly the Fine 45 was done in Rochester and Philly Lyndell 45s were pre Sigma and even the first few Atlantic 45s were too early to have been recorded under the Sigma banner although Reco - Art was operating out of the building at the time. Which 'local' DJ are you referring to? When you say they went BACK into the studio, has John remembered where that was? There is quite a bit of conflicting info from Philly musicians as to where SB6 actually recorded and which tracks were done there.

Certainly the Phil LA of Soul 45s could have been at Sigma but I would have thought 919 a better bet given the Jamie/Guyden connection.

Would be good to establish exactly which 45s were recorded in NY and which in Philly (and where).

Regards,

Dave

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Which 'local' DJ are you referring to? 

Would be good to establish exactly which 45s were recorded in NY and which in Philly (and where).

Regards,

Dave

Dave,

the local radio DJ was Ernie Fields and he claims to have helped 'write' (finish off maybe BUT THEN perhaps not) and produce "Some Kind of Wonderful. So I'd guess that the song was cut in Philly (on the SB6's 1st session for Atlantic). I asked John more things about the Fine Records Studio up in Rochester than I did about which Philly studios he cut in.

John has a house down in the Tampa Bay area, as does another ex member of the SB6, Lester Freeman. John goes down there in January / February which is when we'll be in Florida. Hopefully I'll be able to meet up with them over there early next year (if we get that far up the Gulf coastline). 

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

Dave,

the local radio DJ was Ernie Fields and he claims to have helped 'write' (finish off maybe BUT THEN perhaps not) and produce "Some Kind of Wonderful. So I'd guess that the song was cut in Philly (on the SB6's 1st session for Atlantic). I asked John more things about the Fine Records Studio up in Rochester than I did about which Philly studios he cut in.

John has a house down in the Tampa Bay area, as does another ex member of the SB6, Lester Freeman. John goes down there in January / February which is when we'll be in Florida. Hopefully I'll be able to meet up with them over there early next year (if we get that far up the Gulf coastline).

Thanks for that. I'll speak to John about Ernie Fields again.

No Sigma around when SB6s first Atlantic session took place. (I think they took place in New York). There's a 'theory' that some sessions were done at Castor Eve but I'm also sceptical about that too. Onwards and Upwards! ;-)

Regards,

Dave

Social source share

While we're discussing all things SB6 related ............

It seems John can recall the details of the Rochester studio better but then that would have been his first trip into a recording studio, so that would have made it more memorable.

The Fine Recording Company of Rochester was already up & running by the mid 50's and lots of rockabilly, R&R and other tracks were cut there each year. Local gospel acts used to use the studio to cut their stuff too and a few R&B / soul things were also laid down in the studios.

The record label and recording studio's official address was 114 St Paul Street, Rochester and that building is still standing. BUT John tells me the studio they used (in 65) was 'out of town'. He thinks the original owner died and a family member took the company over & moved the studio's location. John thinks the old building he cut their Fine Records tracks in later burnt down. Anyway, the label's official address was 114 St Paul St and it's shown below ..........

post-22122-0-46670500-1380656393_thumb.j

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

Just like to say congrats to Kev for actually bringing John Ellison over. He was superb and an absolute gentleman to all who wanted to meet him. His vocals were incredible, a wonderful thing to behold for those that could be bothered to turn up. I think everyone who was there would agree.

Hopefully he could come back next time with a full band, he certainly deserves it. As Ady pointed out earlier though,the financial constraints are the main obstacle. I was one of the sparse crowd at the Reading gig. I find it rather sad that there's so on this scene who all talk a good game of supporting the music but in reality, couldn't give a toss about supporting the artists while they're still around to enjoy it. How many ,I wonder, have paid serious money for a piece of vinyl yet can't find it in themselves to support a genuine living legend of our music such as this ? It was his only gig in the South as well.

Well..... You missed out if you didn't go.

Kev- please pass on our love and much respect to John Ellison. A top singer indeed........

Yours Sincerely,

Ivor Jones

Social source share

Just like to say congrats to Kev for actually bringing John Ellison over. He was superb and an absolute gentleman to all who wanted to meet him. His vocals were incredible, a wonderful thing to behold for those that could be bothered to turn up. I think everyone who was there would agree.

Hopefully he could come back next time with a full band, he certainly deserves it. As Ady pointed out earlier though,the financial constraints are the main obstacle. I was one of the sparse crowd at the Reading gig. I find it rather sad that there's so on this scene who all talk a good game of supporting the music but in reality, couldn't give a toss about supporting the artists while they're still around to enjoy it. How many ,I wonder, have paid serious money for a piece of vinyl yet can't find it in themselves to support a genuine living legend of our music such as this ? It was his only gig in the South as well.

Well..... You missed out if you didn't go.

Kev- please pass on our love and much respect to John Ellison. A top singer indeed........

Yours Sincerely,

Ivor Jones

Thanks Ivor - Much appreciated.

Social source share

Guest BENSON BOY

Thanks Ivor - Much appreciated.

A big thank you Kev from myself and all of the guys from the Oxford soul club,had a wonderful night,John Ellison,well what can one say,superb,considering he's 72 years old and the voice still sounded dam good to me.Lovely guy,signed cd's, records,etc.plenty of photo's.Great night with a real appreciate crowd.Those of you that couldn't make it ,you really did miss a good un'.

Maz

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!